Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

NOVAK has customer service second to none, and stand behind their product 100%...

I am truly amazed with how easy Charlie and the gang are to work with...With service like that it would make it hard to go with another company...

K9
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #82
Pebble Pounder

I just wanted to say I have the new goat brushless and it has worked awsome. I took a second and my 9 year old son took third with my truck in our second comp. That is only our second comp ever and that is in the super class running a TXT. We wouldn't have done as well if the truck didn't have the Goat
RC Rock Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #83

Has anyone come up with a fix to the glitching and lurching forward problem using the Rooster Crawler ESC ? I just recieved mine, and I have the same problem others are having. Super smooth in reverse most of the time, but lurches and jerks during slight throttle imputs going forward.
steven9026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

For assistance, I suggest emailing charlie@teamnovak.com or steve@teamnovak.com directly.

If you use hotmail it may get trapped in our spam filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9026 View Post
Has anyone come up with a fix to the glitching and lurching forward problem using the Rooster Crawler ESC ? I just recieved mine, and I have the same problem others are having. Super smooth in reverse most of the time, but lurches and jerks during slight throttle imputs going forward.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #85
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9026 View Post

I would look at cleaning up your install as posted before in this thread. I have found that little things can cause problems with glitching. When I fist put my system in I was exited to try it out so I didn't tie up the loose ends so to speak and I noticed some glitching (I also had glitching with the old 55t/tr2). I went back and re routed some wires, installed some zip ties and few little things, it made a big difference. Now I have no complaints.
RC Rock Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #86

Rock Hugger,

I have removed everything, spread all the components as far away from one another as possible. Tried all types of routings on my cables, and I still get the glitches. I'm not sure what else to do. I emailed Steve at Novak. I tried his suggestions and still getting the glitch. I'm going to try to get some pics of my set up to him this week. Do you have a picture of your final setup that worked for you?

Thanks,

Steven
Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #87
Rock Crawler

Hey Guys,

Most of the "stutter" or "throttle bursting" we have found to be related to a signal situation with the Spektrum stuff.

I've "finally" been able to recreate the situation semi-consistently using the DX2 and the large solid grey RX. When you just creep into the throttle, it will start to jitter or almost look like a glitch.

Well, this is no fault of the ESC it turns out. We put it all on a scope and checked it out, it appears that the output signal from RX actually reacts that way. When you just creep into the throttle, the RX signal goes a bit haywire and bounces back and forth.

It shows up with the Rooster Crawler because it has very good throttle response and instant brakes. So this signal problem shows up very very badly.

There is a "sorta" fix. I've found that moving the throttle trim around helps. On the DX2 anyway, there is a fairly fine trim adjustment. So you move it towards the reverse throttle side and it seems to help. Problem for us with this problem and all the stuff we've tested with is that it has been "very" inconsistent.

I spent 15 minutes creeping back and forth back and forth and it never faultered, then another tester came in an drove it for 2 seconds and the issue showed up. Handed me the TX back and it wouldn't do it again.

This was with an M8 and a Spektrum setup.

So then we started to test with the DX2 and would see the problem a "little" more consistently.

We still have yet to get it to react like some of the videos and emails I've been sent. So what we're assuming is that its very specific to the RX and the TX. We have two DX2 setups, one does it, the other does not.

I've spent more time on this "jitter" issue then I care to think about in the past two weeks, and when it all comes down to, it mainly comes from the TX and the RX.

When using regular FM radios we were not able to make the jitter ever happen.

We're currently looking into a "sure fire" way to address this, but as inconsistently as it is happening, it's a pretty time consuming effort for something that doesn't appear to be a "novak" issue really.

Most likely we would have to slow down how quickly the brakes and throttle responds. This may not hurt anything, but it will take us time to sort it all out "for sure".

Feel free to email me directly anytime. Charlie@teamnovak.com We're always open to more information as the more we get the more specifically we can test things.

Thanks Guys
Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #88

Charlie,
Thanks for all the info and testing you and the others at Novak have been doing. I am still trying to get my set up to work. Just wanted to pass on some info. I have removed the whole electronic package from my crawler, set the motor, speed control, and receiver on the bench. I've spread each one as far apart as the leads will let me. I still had the throttle burst at the low input crawl start. I removed the Intery lathe 45 turn motor. Some people are saying it's the cheap motor and timing issues. I replaced it with one of my built motors from a stadium truck that I know is good. It still did the same thing. It is interesting that you said you couldn't get it to mess up using the standard FM radio. I am using an AM unit on the crawler. That is the only thing I haven't changed yet. I plan on trying that tonight. I will hook up one of my FM units with ESC and receiver not mounted to the chassis and see what happens. I'm going to leave everything off of the truck to cancel out the bad wiring placement or any thing that could be mounting related glitches. If it still does the same thing, what do I do then? I really like the ESC and really want to use it, but it will not be any good to me it it continues to do the throttle surging.

Thanks again for all of the help,

Steven
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Well, I've spent a good few hours playing with motors/ESCs/Radios/Spektrums and Rooster Crawlers. So far from what I can tell, this is a Trigger "pot" issue.

It would seem that these "budget" type radios have a very very bad "jitter" off neutral, when you just creep into the throttle, the signal that "comes out of the radio" Bounces all over like a crazy person.

I originall thought it was an RX problem. But I've gone and tried different RX's as well with no changes.

However, if I use a halfway decent transmitter, there is "no" issue what so ever. None, Nada, Zilch, Zero.

So I'm about convinced these budget radios use some sort of funky trigger pot that basically doesn't work like its supposed.

I'm going to keep playing with stuff and I'll be sure to let everyone know what we find. But for now, it would seem to me this is for sure a transmitter problem.

So why does it only show up with the Crawler, simple, it has drag brake, so when the jitter hits, it slams the motor to full brake. With out the brake you simply don't "See" the problem at all.

Charlie@teamnovak.com if you'd like to discuss any of this, or have any suggestions for me to try.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Wow, thats all I can say, I am having a issue with my Rooster Crawler glitching and acting weird at VERY light throttle, and I sent a E-Mail 30 minutes ago, I got a reply in 5 minutes, and they are working on it right now. Have had 5 emails back and forth working with me on the issue.

I have never seen customer service like this from ANY other company I have done business with. Working in Mobile electronics I deal with big names like Alpine, Pioneer, JL Audio, etc. etc...... Whenever we have issues with $15k systems we sell customers, it takes days to get techincal issues resolved in many situations. I bought a $100 ESC from Novak and was taken care of as if I was their most important customer.....

Thanks to Charlie at Novak, awesome service. Keep up the good work, I know what products I will be purchasing for now on.

Hopefully we can see a good fix to this problem, as I don't see a $250 synthsised FM radio as a budget radio for most of the people in this hobby.

Last edited by Rob92k1500; 11-07-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Rob92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

I was just curious, if this was a Radio Problem, does the Mamba Max with Drag Brake have the same problems? I am just not seeing how this could be a Rooster Crawler Edition problem only..... Is the idea that the Crawler is just SO sensitive and precise that it is the only ESC that sees this problem from the Transmitter and it's just that all other ESCs just don't see it or respond to it?

I wonder if the Drag brake was turned down to say 70% or so, if the problem could be illiminated without entirely turning off the Drag Brake.....

Just throwing ideas out.... :-(
Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #92
Rock Stacker

Charlie may have a point about the inconsistant pot resolution. However he will be interested to hear what gear we are using. There are three of us using the same ESC (Rooster Crawler) on the same truck with the same motor (Int 65T V10). One guy has a JR 9XII with a spektrum module (very expensive aircraft gear) and has the worst low speed glitching I have ever seen. I am using a KO EX10 Helios with Spektrum module and get the odd glitch maybe once a battery pack - certainly nothing to worry about. Another guy has an old JR XS3 synthasized on 27mhz FM and he also gets the odd glitch. More than me but still not too bad.
It seems to me (after 20 years of running planes cars and helis) that the problem my indeed be related to the throttle pot resolution verses the sensitivity of the esc. Crawling is the only situation where very low throttle is held for any length of time. Why low throttle should be any more prone to glitching that any other point on any other channel is beyond me. Maybe the answer is to reduce the sensativity of the esc or use some "smoothing" software?
I can imagine this is very frustrating for Novak (I own an RC store so it rubbs off here too). Thanks for your time and effort in trying to solve this problem on an otherwise brilliant product.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #93

I'll second that about Charlie and the guys at Novak. I hope that they can find a solution to the problem so that some of the entry level guys can use the Rooster without spending big bucks on a TX. I wonder what the customers that have the entry level radios are going to do to ? It would be a shame for them to have to go out and spend more money on a TX to get their ESC to work properly.

Thanks again to Charlie and everyone else at Novak.

Steven

Last edited by steven9026; 11-08-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

So far my testing has been with a JR XS3i, 75Mhz Synthesised, and a 75Mhz Airtronics MX-3 with Hitec HFS-03MM receiver on Channel 73, also tried the standard blue reciever that comes with the M8, same channel, same problems.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #95
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob92k1500 View Post
I was just curious, if this was a Radio Problem, does the Mamba Max with Drag Brake have the same problems? I am just not seeing how this could be a Rooster Crawler Edition problem only..... Is the idea that the Crawler is just SO sensitive and precise that it is the only ESC that sees this problem from the Transmitter and it's just that all other ESCs just don't see it or respond to it?

I wonder if the Drag brake was turned down to say 70% or so, if the problem could be illiminated without entirely turning off the Drag Brake.....

Just throwing ideas out.... :-(

The mamba drag brake is not the same, it is an active drag brake that shorts the motor in neutral and prevents the motor from freewheeling while using throttle. The Rooster systems have a "hold" brake that is braking at the neutral point. It could be described as Forward-brake-Reverse throttle with no neutral and no braking in reverse (aka smart braking).

I believe this could be solved by increasing the deadband a nudge, but I have the issue on all of my radios from the DX7 to the jr synthesized FM. I would like to see the brake action softened too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like they are on top of things, Mine will be in the mail in the morning, straight to Novak, hope to see it back before next Friday.... I'll also post up once it returns and update my progress, I still think it has to be the best ESC option on the market, as soon as this issue is cleared up, I will be buying 2 more of them.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The mamba drag brake is not the same, it is an active drag brake that shorts the motor in neutral and prevents the motor from freewheeling while using throttle. The Rooster systems have a "hold" brake that is braking at the neutral point. It could be described as Forward-brake-Reverse throttle with no neutral and no braking in reverse (aka smart braking).

I believe this could be solved by increasing the deadband a nudge, but I have the issue on all of my radios from the DX7 to the jr synthesized FM. I would like to see the brake action softened too.
Hmmm.... I guess I don't understand that.. So the Mamba Max dead sorts the motor? It's a DC Current, so does it switch power on both sides to lock the motor, or ????????

How does the Rooster do it that differs, or do you mean it just does it at different times?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Well I have to give a BIG shout out to the guys at Novak.

got my Goat crawler system back today and mounted up, working flawless so far it's actually working better that the first one , which was pretty dang good so BIG props Novak awsome product.

thanks
Matt "Gyyro" DePriest
Gyyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #99

Gyyro, how is it working better than the first? I have two of these systems and noticed that right next to the motor sensor harness input connector it says rev2.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

I still don't understand the resistance to buying decent radio gear. Y'all will pony up $150 for a set of beadlocks, but insist on using a radio that's too cheesy for some guy on eBay's T-Maxx?

Back on topic, I back-to-backed my Rooster Crawler with a Mamba Max, same cells, same 35t motor. I found the Rooster to be smoother, drag brake performance was virtually identical.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM