Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

MG, did you experience any down hill freewheeling at all with the rooster? That seems to be the only fault I can find with mine.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

I think Charlie is right on the money with the radio gear being the problem. I will notice a little glitching when the truck is farther away from me with the tx, and not at all within a closer range.
I am using a an Airtronics MX3, it only cost $109 from tower, works good and is not high dollar.
RC Rock Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, It's not cheap radio gear, MX-3 is kinda a budget radio, what about a XS3i, little pricier, how much money are we expected to spend on a radio? I can't justify a Nomadio on my finances, I just bought a $300k house, I have mortgage payments and other expenses in my life. Dropping a grand to upgrade my radio gear isn't exactely on my doable list.

The guys with TQ3s complaining, they can't be complaining, buy when you buy decent radio gear, you have a right to expect your electronics to work properly, considering the bulk of people are not running Nomadio quality radios....

I have ultimate faith Novak will get this fixed so the bulk of their customers can stop seeing problems.
Rob92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Hey Guys,

I'm not trying to say, Replace your radio. I'm not trying to say anything. Just pointing out what we're finding is all.

The Middle of the road radios, or Budget Synthesized radios, use the same pots as the "Budget" radios.

It's not just the pots though, this problem has two sides.

One side is the pots, for sure, You can see it on the scope. The second side comes from the Spektrum stuff. Not just the low end spektrum any of it. Even in my M8 w/Spektrum I could recreate the problem, but if I took the spektrum out, that same TX would be fine. The signal spektrum generates "bounces" at very low input, again, you can very clearly see it on the scope.

The ESC is "simply" doing what the radio system is telling it to do.

Nobody has anything to worry about, we'll fix this, it's fairly strait forward now that we know exactly what's going on.

We'll have to make the ESC "ignore" the noise. I'm sure the Engineers will have something soon..... or maybe I've already been testing the fix.....

We appreciate all of you guys working with us. I help the guys that are willing to be helped and are easy to work with . I would like to compliment the general crawler comunity for being "good customers" that are willing to at least try what we ask, and listen to our suggestions. In addition to being very patient while we short these things out.

Guys sending me pics and videos of the situations was very helpful, and with out guys to work with, we'd never have started on this solution. Granted we missed it on the first few times it came up and wrote it off as bad radio gear. But we'll "nail it to the wall" here in a few days.

Don't forget you can always email us directly: Charlie@teamnovak.com Tech@teamnovak.com or CS@teamnovak.com

Thanks
Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Erin, I've only encountered freewheeling with the brushless systems. Slow descents, one tick over the drag brake, are the key to making that work. The Rooster Crawler has a nice drag brake. I haven't tried any downhills with my Rooster12, since it's in a dual-motored 2.2 Juggy mudbogger.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #106
Pebble Pounder

I installed mine today. Running a 45 turn Integy motor, and a Futaba AM radio (cheap one, doesn't even have EPA's). It glitched at first, but then I tied up all the wires, and re-programmed it. Runs great now. Slight glitch every now and then, but I can live with it until Novak finds the fix for it.

Awesome ESC nonetheless. I bought mine used (but looks brand new) for $83 shipped with the basically new Integy 45 turn, pretty lucky deal IMO

After running the XRS and 35 turn, I kind of liked the wheelspeed of the 35 turn, but it isn't a huge difference. The drag brake is AWESOME though, gives so much more control when you have to stop or back up on a hill...
Tacoma747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

I guess the only problem I have, is I bought a $100 ESC, took it home to replace the one I fried... Plugged it in and spent 2 days and countless hours screwing with it, then had to pay $20 to ship it to Novak since i have to have it fixed in time for our next comp, and now I don't have a ESC for a week while I wait for it to be "fixed"....

I HAVE to buy 2 more ESCs, probably Roosters too, but I'll have to ship those to Novak too, to be "fixed"....

I guess maybe I should just send the brand new ESCs still in their boxes to them since obviously they will all share the same problem...

Suddenly I own a $120 Rooster Crawler. :-(

I could have had a Goat for $5 more and been able to run brushless..
Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Question Question about Novak Rooster

Helo all .. im new to the RC

im getting a Bruiser Chassis kit and i was about to buy the Combo of Novak ESC rooster and Novak Motor 55.
http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...?productId=623

and i was planning on buying the control Futaba Atack 4vwd 4ch.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBCP2A4&P=7

well the thing is ... i been reading about glitches problems or something like that, wondering if maybe i would have this same problem with this setup ?

i would like to know .. if i should wait couple months until they fix the problems or can i buy with confidence the novak products ?

Thanks.
LorenzoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

You can buy it, but if you have problems, you just need to mail in your ESC and have it reprogrammed. So, I would buy it, they have been making great stuff for more years than i can count.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #110
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm not trying to say, Replace your radio. I'm not trying to say anything. Just pointing out what we're finding is all.

The Middle of the road radios, or Budget Synthesized radios, use the same pots as the "Budget" radios.

It's not just the pots though, this problem has two sides.

One side is the pots, for sure, You can see it on the scope. The second side comes from the Spektrum stuff. Not just the low end spektrum any of it. Even in my M8 w/Spektrum I could recreate the problem, but if I took the spektrum out, that same TX would be fine. The signal spektrum generates "bounces" at very low input, again, you can very clearly see it on the scope.

The ESC is "simply" doing what the radio system is telling it to do.

Nobody has anything to worry about, we'll fix this, it's fairly strait forward now that we know exactly what's going on.

We'll have to make the ESC "ignore" the noise. I'm sure the Engineers will have something soon..... or maybe I've already been testing the fix.....

We appreciate all of you guys working with us. I help the guys that are willing to be helped and are easy to work with . I would like to compliment the general crawler comunity for being "good customers" that are willing to at least try what we ask, and listen to our suggestions. In addition to being very patient while we short these things out.

Guys sending me pics and videos of the situations was very helpful, and with out guys to work with, we'd never have started on this solution. Granted we missed it on the first few times it came up and wrote it off as bad radio gear. But we'll "nail it to the wall" here in a few days.

Don't forget you can always email us directly: Charlie@teamnovak.com Tech@teamnovak.com or CS@teamnovak.com

Thanks
Charlie
So with all this problem and money spent is Novak going to offer some sort of exchange for the esc's or some type trade up program for the brushless crawler system OR should we just suck up the loss and buy the MAMBA MAX!
airtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtoy View Post
So with all this problem and money spent is Novak going to offer some sort of exchange for the esc's or some type trade up program for the brushless crawler system OR should we just suck up the loss and buy the MAMBA MAX!

Seems to me like when Novak finds the problem, you can send them your ESC and they will fix it. Yea it would be nice of them to pay for shipping, but even if they don't it isn't a bad deal (maybe $12 shipping both ways).

I am running a cheap Futaba AM radio, hardly glitches at all, maybe 3-4 times in a battery pack... Seems to me Novak is working on the problem, but if you want to spend more money on a Mamba, I am sure they wouldn't mind, they know how good their product is, and I am sure there are many others that do too.
Tacoma747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

just installed my novak rooster crawler esc in my ax10 and using a spektrum dx3 and brushed 55t ....it works perfect... but i was wondering if there is a way to soften the braking when i release the throttle...it practically flips itself when i let off....thanks for the help
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #113

Hello,
I was having all kinds of problems when I was using an AM radio. I've been real concerned about the problems with the ESC myself. I've had several emails with Charlie at Novak about the problem. I feel like they are working real hard on taking care of this problem. I left Him an email, and told him to let me know when they got it worked out, and I would send mine back to them. In the meantime, I switched to one of my FM RX and like magic, the ESC worked flawless. I'm still holding my breath,but I ran it through 4 battery packs yesterday and it didn't surge or glitch once. I hope that it will continue to do this. This is one really nice ESC when it's working.

Steven
steven9026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #114
Rock Stacker

Well after the occasional Glitch i was getting from my Rooster Crawler and trying all suggestions made here, i have made it so i found a reason to purchase a Sanwa 2.4 Ghz TX/RX and i can confirm the Rooster Crawler ESC in my Axial has no more Glitch and is much more controllable. It was like a lot of the units here where is was just at extremely low TX input when trying to get off the mark, that it would jump or glitch.Just thought it be nice to hear about another ESC come good witht eh Radio replacement. I know its an expensive fix, but now i am also able to crawl with no interruptions from other crawlers what so ever. Its the Airtronics MX-3 fhss i think. BTW, i was running a TQ3 originally, so now it gets retired or sold, as my new 2.4g tx is a dream.

Frank Downunder
ford mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad to hear that, I use a regular FM MX-3 now, I was just eyeing the MX-3 Synthesised radio the last 2 days, I was worried it would glitch as well, I will probably add that to my list of next upgrades. It seems a good excuse to spend the money.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #116
Pebble Pounder

Is there an answer to the question "can you soften the off throttle braking?"

I like to crawl but I also like to go thrashing around and free wheeling would be nice.
lsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Check your programming, there are multiple profiles so you can turn off the drag brake entirely.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #118
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob92k1500 View Post
I'm glad to hear that, I use a regular FM MX-3 now, I was just eyeing the MX-3 Synthesised radio the last 2 days, I was worried it would glitch as well, I will probably add that to my list of next upgrades. It seems a good excuse to spend the money.
Just to make sure, u are eye-ing off the right radio, it is the 2.4 Ghz MX-3FHSS isnt it. I wouldnt want u to go out and spend the money only to find that u bought the wrong version one. BTW, this was my experience, and it was as much a good purchase as it was a, experiment, and it proved a very good decision, for me anyhow.

Frank
ford mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Hi Guys,

There is no way to "soften" the brakes in the settings of the Rooster Crawler.

In fact the Rooster Crawler really has no other adjustments then the Lipo sensing being on or off.

If you gave the ESC just a little of throttle trim, made the Red LED turn off, but not quite run the motor, it will have essentially no drag brake at all. But a fairly abrupt push brake.

It was a pretty bare bones unit to keep costs down.

The Goat has all the adjustments and settings you could need if thats what you're looking for. The Goat is available by itself, and works with BR motors just fine.

It would appear we've found a basic fix to this problem, we're still fairly early on in testing, but I'll for sure let you all know when we have things "perfected" again...
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, Just got my Crawler back from novak, it's a Noticable difference. The drag brake doesn't come on as abruptly, so when you let off the trigger it rolls for an extra second before engaging. It does see to not glitch, but for some reason it seems to jump into the throttle a little faster than before.

Not sure what the guys did to fix it, but it's like anything else, it has to be gotten used to. It seems to be working just fine overall.

The downside is, when you are going up a hill, if you let off the throttle, it hesitates long enough to let the truck roll back a good 1-2 inches, which is a reverse penalty, thus kinda negating the whole reason for having the drag brake. My old rooster of course had no brake, I just have enough throttle control in my hand that i could stop it and hold it under partial throttle until I was ready to go again.

I would like to see a better fix for this if possible, I know that I won't be spending $300+ on another radio to fix this problem. I am going to wait on buying any more CE Roosters until it's either fixed, or genie grants me a wish and I get a nice Nomadio radio or something. :-(

Charlie did do an awesome job receiving, fixing and reshipping the CE Rooster in time to get back for our season opener this weekend. I was worried, but he really came through and did exactely what he promised. My hats off to him.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM