Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless or not? That is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushless or not? That is the question

POP!! Did you hear that, that was my cherry. Since that is over. Been in Rc for 15+ yrs and fallen hard for the crawlin. I have a GOAT system on order and me being the big kid and impatient and wanting to play now. I bought a cheap TAzer esc and an Axion 50T motor to get it running. I must say I am impressed with the combo. MOtor is awsome, esc is a little slow and delay in reverse, but will do. Now it has me questioning if I even want to go brushless or not. I have no experience with the brushless systems at all. I do realize that I would like to have a better brake on my esc. Should I keep the GOAT esc and use the 50T Axiom, Sell the GOAT system and get the Rooster crawler and be done. I like the idea of being able to do do both setups. I need some opinions from the pros on here. Is the brushless worth it? FYI, this is all in an AX10. I would like to thank my man up at Finishline RC, he helped me get a better idea of crawling. Hopefully soon I will see you guys at some comps.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

when i run into an instance on the super where my 55Ts dont have enough power for an obstical, then i will switch until then i dont need a $125 esc and twin brushless motors $$ (whatever they cost)

for me personally that day will never come, just last night i was on some flat ground covered in misc rock, well the left rear tire fell in a hole and bound, and when i gave it allite gas to try to get out, it lifted all THREE tires and the entire rig completly off the ground, raised the whole truck a 45* until i let off and just held it there mid air. HELD IT. i couldnt believe the entire rig suspended by this one tire in a hole, that was pretty impressive, that thing aint light.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 09-27-2007 at 10:29 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

That is kind of what I have seen. I am waiting on a better servo to come in, but I put Airsoft and reg BB's in the tires to see what that was like. It made my truck very heavy, I know I put too much in there. The 50T motor will still move that weight very well. I had a similar thing happen to me with the one tire thing. That is what got me thinking about even more over kill with the brushless.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You will not be disappointed with the power and control of the GOAT. Use it for your comp rig, use the other setup for a basher or scale type build.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I say use both. The both have advantages and disadvantages. The Goat is fun and fast, the Brushed motor doesn't have too much power and will be a touch lighter. Too much power is only a problem if you misuse it. All of my rigs are overpowered and I rarely break anything.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

^^ What he said. I still have my original TLT axle shafts from 2005, although I've sheared off a few pinions. The Goat has the ultimate mix of control and wheelspeed. A Mamba/outrunner system will give you torque and more adjustability, a Mamba Max with a brushed motor will give you adjustability and smoothness.

IMHO, the Goat has it all. The extra adjustability of the MM is nice, but the Goat is set up pretty damn good right out of the box.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #7

The goat has it all except control going down long steep slopes will tall gearing.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
The goat has it all except control going down long steep slopes will tall gearing.

I thought the GOAT had an awsome braking system. I am using the stock gearing in the AX10. I think 14 pinon, 87 spur. Is that steep?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #9

that isn't steep gearing at all. The goat does have awesome braking, but only when it is in neutral. It doesn't speed match throttle inputs.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I just got out and ran mine without my GOAT, but my brother in law got his built and took his out for a maiden voyage. He has a Rooster Crawler and a 55t motor. That Rooster Crawler was awsome, the drag brake was the best. The cheap one that I am using has none at all and does a good free coast on a steep grade. He has a 87 spur and a 13 pinon. I guess my main question is, will the goat be as good or better than his setup. I was amazed how smooth the rooster was. The break on that was second to none that I have seen so far.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
Will the goat be as good or better than his setup. I was amazed how smooth the rooster was. The break on that was second to none that I have seen so far.

I can't really say one is better, only different. The Rooster Crawler has drag brake and controls brushed motors. The Goat has more torque because of the stronger magnets, and since it is brushless you dont have to mess with a comm and brushes. The Goat system also controls brushed motors, just like the Rooster Crawler. Both are great systems.

Right now I'm liking brushed motors more than brushless, but it is personal preference.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I just made the switch to brushless and ran i for the first time. ax10 with revolver black and a quark 33. ran it with a 6 cell 2/3a pack to keep the comparison somewhat even with the brushed tlt and WK. so far I really like the brushless, torque is more speed is slightly slower braking is top notch but I dont think it will replace the brushed systems that are already dialed. just my 2 cents worth
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Right now I'm liking brushed motors more than brushless, but it is personal preference.

John you OK.... Are you feeling Sick....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
John you OK.... Are you feeling Sick....

I never said I didn't like brushed motors, I have just been focusing on brushless for a while. Now I feel like tuning brushed motors a bit, and the control of a brushed motor will never be beat.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I never said I didn't like brushed motors, I have just been focusing on brushless for a while. Now I feel like tuning brushed motors a bit, and the control of a brushed motor will never be beat.
Ya I know, Just Play'n with ya...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #16
RCC Addict

it really is a personal preference..my girl friend and I will only run brushless sets we can not get use to the feel of a brushed motor.Im not trying to put down brushed motors there just not for me I would would keep what you got for now tell you can for sure make up your mind
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote