Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX7 + Mamba + Castle BEC = trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default DX7 + Mamba + Castle BEC = trouble

I put together the electronics for PROTOTYPE's Hustler. Even though I have the exact same setup in mine, it was trouble! I learned a few things that I figured should be shared in case anybody else tries a similar combination of electronics.

1. Plugging the Castle BEC into the battery port on the dx7 causes it to go into bind mode. This wont work, so I used an aux channel for the BEC.

2. When programming the throttle endpoints on the mamba max, you must not have more than one mamba max plugged into the RX or the other one will screw things up.

3. When programming the throttle endpoints on the mamba max you must have the dx7 RX booted and binded first. This means it must power up at least five seconds before the mamba max until the amber light turns solid. I did this by powering up the RX with the Castle BEC (in the aux channel). The mamba max had the red wire disconnected, so I then switched the micro switch to turn it on while holding full throttle. I then proceeded through the setup. Repeat again for ESC number two, and make sure the other ESC is not plugged into the radio.

4. PROTO got a DX7 with all centering gimbals. Too bad the factory did a bad job of centering them, because the throttle channel was a smidge off and I couldn't get the ESCs to start up together. If you get one for yourself, make sure it is dead on center before you start tearing your hair out. I simply moved the throttle to the right stick to get everthing set up and running in time for his comp.

These hangups took me a full three hours to figure out, and I have the same setup! I must have had good luck when setting mine up, because it took like 15 minutes for mine.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I ran into the first problem on one of our UAV's. Really had me scratching my head for a while.

If a crawler won't communicate with the transmitter, you just get mad. If a quad-copter won't communicate, somebody loses a limb.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I put together the electronics for PROTOTYPE's Hustler. Even though I have the exact same setup in mine, it was trouble! I learned a few things that I figured should be shared in case anybody else tries a similar combination of electronics.

1. Plugging the Castle BEC into the battery port on the dx7 causes it to go into bind mode. This wont work, so I used an aux channel for the BEC.

2. When programming the throttle endpoints on the mamba max, you must not have more than one mamba max plugged into the RX or the other one will screw things up.

3. When programming the throttle endpoints on the mamba max you must have the dx7 RX booted and binded first. This means it must power up at least five seconds before the mamba max until the amber light turns solid. I did this by powering up the RX with the Castle BEC (in the aux channel). The mamba max had the red wire disconnected, so I then switched the micro switch to turn it on while holding full throttle. I then proceeded through the setup. Repeat again for ESC number two, and make sure the other ESC is not plugged into the radio.

4. PROTO got a DX7 with all centering gimbals. Too bad the factory did a bad job of centering them, because the throttle channel was a smidge off and I couldn't get the ESCs to start up together. If you get one for yourself, make sure it is dead on center before you start tearing your hair out. I simply moved the throttle to the right stick to get everthing set up and running in time for his comp.

These hangups took me a full three hours to figure out, and I have the same setup! I must have had good luck when setting mine up, because it took like 15 minutes for mine.
1. The Spektrum receivers are the only ones we know of that do this...we are checking to see if there's anything we can do from our end to make it work. For now, either use a short servo extension with the signal lead removed, a switch on the signal lead (orange lead), plug the ESC into another channel, or if you don't have another open channel use a y-connector and plug the ESC and BEC into the throttle channel.

2. Most definitely. Always calibrate and program ESCs individually.

3. Hmm...maybe we should put more of a delay in the MM? Have you tried it with another spektrum receiver to see if it's that individual receiver's boot time? Shoot me an email on this.

4. Definitely would suck!
Joe Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

this may be a dumb question but is it still a problem with the dx3 reciever with a single esc ???...or is it all spektrum recievers ??? thanks for the info
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My question would be if this will be a problem for the DX6 too?
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The dx6 and dx3 receivers have faster boot up times than the dx7 receiver. I have had no problems like this with either of them.

I dont see it as so much of a problem, but just an issue that a bit of education helps to solve.

Joe, no need to increase the delay for boot up. It isn't an issue if the on/off switch is still intact on the ESC.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The dx6 and dx3 receivers have faster boot up times than the dx7 receiver. I have had no problems like this with either of them.

I dont see it as so much of a problem, but just an issue that a bit of education helps to solve.

Joe, no need to increase the delay for boot up. It isn't an issue if the on/off switch is still intact on the ESC.
thanks john rob for the help and the info.. i recieved my bec from you the other day but havent installed it yet....lol..i'm pretty new at this so the less complicated the better for me ...thanks again
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've found the DX7 a picky beast about how you power it using the battery slot. It appears you have to use a switch on it, as even plugging an RX pack straight into it will cause the dreaded "Unpredictable results".
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
4. PROTO got a DX7 with all centering gimbals. Too bad the factory did a bad job of centering them, because the throttle channel was a smidge off and I couldn't get the ESCs to start up together. If you get one for yourself, make sure it is dead on center before you start tearing your hair out. I simply moved the throttle to the right stick to get everything set up and running in time for his comp.

If I didnt have bad luck I wouldn't have luck at all. Sorry that I sent it to you , to have to deal with .

Just another tidbit of info,

I had to set endpoint on my 5955's . If your not used to a stick radio let alone a stick radio set up for crawling , You might need to have a helo pilot look at it. I figured out it was rear steer = rudder and my front steer = aileron. After looking at the directions and not being that familiar with the Tx I had my LHS take a look at it. After I told him how the steering was set up he was able to give me full throw on front and rear.
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks John. I figured as much, but thought I would ask anyway!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote