Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #321
I wanna be Dave

Youre effin crazy. Nice write up on the radio.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #322
Rock Stacker

nice i like epa screws in the back..without the big tire it would look factory to the unfamiliar eye
charleshermanpipesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #323

Nice radio mod thread. I just happen to have an old TQ3 I was going to toss or put up for sale on eBay. Now I think I will give this mod try.

Thanks...
Arrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #324
Rock Stacker

Nice job. I was trying to come up with some sort of controller that could do just this. I will look into it more to see if I have the technical skills.
BluFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #325

Default Radio Mod

hi

Just a quick question I am sure it has been asked before but can this mod be done to the newest tq4 2.4 liink version?

Thanks
jfl2480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #326

Default duel rate

hello i have modded my stock switch to have a center position and done the epa pots but i used pots from an old remote that i had laying around i tore it apart and used the steering and throttle trime pots im not sure what kind of pots they are but it all works great i used your diagram thank you but i was wondering if you could tell me how to do a duel rate pot for the third channel thanks agine
deltan9ne024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #327
Pebble Pounder

using infor found here i bought and modded my 2.4 radio with a momentary 3 pos. switch. removed the stock switch and board, desoldered the stock switch, redrilled the stock board to accomidate the new switch and resoldered the wires directly to the switch! had to clean up the open opening in the case to make the room for the new switch, reassembled and works like a champ!

cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #328
I joined the Band!

Obviously the steering wheel is my stock TLT wheel and tire. I took the stock TQ3 steering wheel and mounted it to a steel shaft which I mounted in my drill. Then I used the drill like a poor man's lathe to turn down the diameter and face of the steering wheel until it fit snugly and deep inside the TLT wheel. Then I ran three screws through the outside of the rim where they'd be covered by the tire and into the TQ3 steering wheel. I also cut down and stuffed the tire with a spare tire foam I had laying around. Without it the tire was a bit on the squishy side for steering.

MapleStory Mesos
Buy Maplestory Mesos
Rift Gold
SundayForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #329

I like the tire wheel
soslowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #330
Rock Crawler

This is probably a strange idea but Id like to know if it can be done. I have a TQ3 and 2215 Reciever. I know I can do 4WD with the stock setup. (Two CH1 slots), Is there a way I can turn off the rear servo with the 2-way switch on the tq3?
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #331
Got Worms?

Yep sure is possible, but can't be modded radio side must be rx side...send me a pm with what rear servo your running, I have a few ideas
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #332
Pebble Pounder

Hello there,
I'm not sure what to buy... 2.4ghz TQ3 or TQ4 each has a 5 channels RX...
I dont know because I'm drivieng a RedCat RS10 and I want to keep the rear proportional steering.
I want to be abble to keep doing that with my rig:

I know that those MOD are preprogrammed in my stock TX/RX (RX with 3 channels + aux. slot), but if I use the trim on the TQ3 or TQ4 (can I inverse those trim?) would I be able to do it?

Here is a pic of my stock RX:(dont mind the red scare...)

So staying 4x4x4 : TQ3 or TQ4??

Last edited by Big Pitt; 05-23-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Big Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #333

I made one up it works great ! I also put a 3p switch in my dx3.
Thanks for the info
tripleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #334
Pebble Pounder

My set-up... Throttle with the middle finger and switch with index. Very Easy.

Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
I got tired of only having 3 channels to mess with, so I slapped two TQ3's together the other night. These things are great to a budget minded tinker freak like myself.

Meet my Franken-troller...The TQ3+3!
It's cheap, ghetto, and works! And trust me, it's not just the pictures that make it look like a bad photoshop job....it takes some getting used to looking at.

But, like all projects, it's not finished.

Please, I need to do the same.

You use the same antenna for the 2 radios?

You need 2 rx on the car?

How did you put the left command?

Can you send me some photos of the inside?

Have you some schemes?

Thank a lot and: GREAT JOB!

Please

Thank you a lot

Gianluca
TheJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #336

I just did the rear steer thing with my TQ3 tonight. I replaced the steering trim pot with a 5k pot wired in place of the original rocker switch. I relocated the steering trim to the top of the radio and wired the rocker switch for the shift to the center wire going to the rear steer pot. I flip the rocker switch up to enable rear steer, which i run with my thumb on a small wheel. To center and disable the rear steer, I just flip the rocker switch down. Thanks to all for the ideas in this thread.
lucifer1306217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #337
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

So far this really hasn't covered winches. I have modded mine with two momentary push buttons for a winch. Problem I'm having is even after getting the very sensitive trim pot on the back centered so that the servo doesn't creep after a little bit it will start to creep again. Can I replace this trim pot with one less sensitive or even turn off signal from the tx when it's not in use on the radio? For now I have an on/off switch on the truck so I can turn off power to the winch when it's not in use.
maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #338

I wonder if this sounds like a good/possible set up. i wanna get a TQ 2.4 4CH transmitter/5CH receiver. i want to run a shift servo on channel 3, 2-position switch and a winch on channel 4, 3-position switch.

-channel 3, 2-position switch: (more of a note then a question) I know a shift servo doesn't need much movement so i would probably need POTs for that channel using the steps discussed previously in this thread. THANKS BTW. its really a shame other channels are unable to adjust end points.

-channel 4, 3-position switch: Considering that the switch is a (on)-off-(on) switch, am i clear of any creep in the winch with this set up? if so, what would solve that problem?

Furthermore, i read through this post and haven't heard an awful lot about the "5th channel". what could we potentially use this channel for and how would we control it?

Lastly, these are a lot of controls for one rig: winch, shift servo, lights (servo or manually operated). i worry this would eat my run times like crazy. i know the traxxas 5ch reciever has an extra output for batteries/5th channel. what could be used to power the receiver or if this is even necessary?
If it is beneficial enough i wouldn't wanna go too big because of the weight so im thinking a simple 2 or 4 cell AA hook up would help give power to these other controls (other then on ch 1 or 2, basic driving). Not sure if im understanding this correctly or not.

thank you so much for any help. (praying this thread isn't dead yet and someone answers my call) hehehe.

Any thoughts?
jmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #339
Quarry Creeper

anybody have a more recent wright up on putting end points on a basic radio or TQ3. going to pick up a scx10 honcho and i see no point in getting a computer radio right away till i want to get a winch.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote