Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
Hey one little question could you not just put a bigger pot (like the ones for steeting trim) instead of the switch. and have fully proportional rear steering?
You could do that pretty easily. One issue would be where to mount the pot so you could move it with your thumb. Also, since there wouldn't be a centering mechanism it might be tricky to use.

I think there's only so much you can do with a pistol grip radio. I mean modding my TQ3 was a great way to kill time but if I was going to compete I'd probably just use a dual stick radio like my Futaba 9C. There's just way more flexibility and granularity of control with a good 2 stick radio.
FritoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

thats cool...im thinkin of going rear steering....DOH thats another 40 dollar servo and a 20 dollar radio... w/e... where did you buy your Tq3?
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
where did you buy your Tq3?
ebay. There are a pile of em at super cheap prices. I paid $15 for mine. Brand new, to my door.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

The crawler store has them with the indipendant rear steer already installed for 65 bucks.Thats pretty cheap
WestCoastPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

hmm lets c here 15 bucks of 65...
15$ one is stock no 'good' switch...price for swithces and pots MAX of 10 bucks
65$ come with 2 dollar switch ...

I wonder which one i could buy for cheaper... LOL just playin man.

Hey FritoBandito Could you not just put a little on off switch that leads to the cener wire if i were to use a pot instead of a switch to center it or would i need to switch on and off the 2 outter wires?

i wish my friggin Jr X3i had the ability of doing a 3 position 3rd chanel... all it has is 2 position like for reverse on a tmax or some stupid fule mixture servo function... AND IT HAS THE FREAKING SWITCHES ON THE THING TO DO 3 positions...

I could always mix the chanels... but then i wouldnt have independent steering...

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 07-20-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
hmm lets c here 15 bucks of 65...
15$ one is stock no 'good' switch...price for swithces and pots MAX of 10 bucks
65$ come with 2 dollar switch ...
Not to mention the satisfaction of having built it yourself. Nothing wrong with buying it premade though. *COUGH*WUSS*COUGH*

Quote:
Hey FritoBandito Could you not just put a little on off switch that leads to the cener wire if i were to use a pot instead of a switch to center it or would i need to switch on and off the 2 outter wires?
Just do this instead of a switch. The pots have 3 leads and you just connect the center wire to the center lead and the other two leads to to the remaining leads. Just make sure you connect the left and right wires so the pot turns the wheels the direction you want them to go. Here's a diagram using a pot instead of a switch.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

ya but i want sort of a lock out switchs that when i switch it on it centers the steering but when i turn it off i can use the pot to steer the rear end. Oh and are the stock pots for the trim settings (throttle and steering) are the 5k ohms? I was thinking of doing something like a scroll wheel on a mouse for the rear steering in the tumb area of the TQ3 and then have a little centering/lockout switch above that.

i am soo doing this i have 2 Regular TQ radios that i can rape parts off of. and for freakin like 25 bucks shipped to my door i have a perfect 3 chanel radio... instead of a 140 dollar pos that only has channel mixing instead of independent steering...

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 07-20-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:04 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

i got to thank you for this info i was trying to figure how to do this to my airtronics 3p.after mj6 i'll get the switches and fix it up.
as for the pot for steering is combersome at best.it doesn't center itselfe and you have to look at it to center it.and to turn it is combersome.the 3p had a pot type switch orig and i left it in the curcuit so if need be in a rush of seting up a rear servo i can use it to center the servo and use the momentary switch to turn.pitfall of doing this of coarse is that the servo will not turn the wheel the same distance left to right.but with the trim buttons that should be solved.my next problem is to find a place on my radio to mount the 2 pot switches.not much room
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

I see what you're saying. Then yea, a switch (with a cap) on the center wire would do the trick.

The stock steering pot is a 5K. The trim pots are 100k. What are you thinking of doing with the trim?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_RACER
i got to thank you for this info i was trying to figure how to do this to my airtronics 3p.after mj6 i'll get the switches and fix it up.
as for the pot for steering is combersome at best.it doesn't center itselfe and you have to look at it to center it.and to turn it is combersome.the 3p had a pot type switch orig and i left it in the curcuit so if need be in a rush of seting up a rear servo i can use it to center the servo and use the momentary switch to turn.pitfall of doing this of coarse is that the servo will not turn the wheel the same distance left to right.but with the trim buttons that should be solved.my next problem is to find a place on my radio to mount the 2 pot switches.not much room
Glad to help but you want to make sure you use the right pot values for your radio. The 5k and 2.5ks are perfect for the TQ3 but the Airtronics might use different resistance. A good hint is to look at your stock steering pot. It should have the resistance printed on it. Then for the EPA pots you use a pot resistance that's either half or a bit less than half of that of the steering pot. Unfortunately until you've done it there's no telling how the radio will react. Good luck with it though.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

i was thinkin of using the trim pots for a rear steering type of mini steering wheel but as u said they are 100k instead of 5k... lol i should have taken apart my TQ b 4 i went asking ...they have it printed right on it Doh. n e ways.
I am still debating on wether i should go with a 3p switch or a pot with a centering switch... hmmm

I just love the idea of a todally independent proportional rear steering...

AHH mabey i could mount a throttle assembly from one of my other tq radios... OOO

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 07-20-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

some one on this board did this at one time,he used a steering wheel for the 3rd channel so there was 2 steering wheels on the tq3.sorry,i don;t remember the members name.
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:15 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

well i could also do that it would be quite intresting tho... lol
Old 07-20-2005, 09:31 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

OK FritoBandito I was thinkin of doing a momentary switch on the center wire to a pot controling the rear steering. the momentary would be placed in a position where i could get my middle or ring finger to be able to push it. SO when im not pushing it the rear will center up then when i want to steer in the rear i would just hold the little button down... would that work?

Also would these pots work?

Main steering pot : http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=271%2D1714

EPA : http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=271%2D280

I kno the EPA pots that i posted are not up there in k ohms they are only 1 k ohms. Also they are only rated for .1 w at 50 v dc... but thats 50 volts...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:08 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_RACER
some one on this board did this at one time,he used a steering wheel for the 3rd channel so there was 2 steering wheels on the tq3.sorry,i don;t remember the members name.
I saw one like that on another site. The guy had used most of the steering gear from some micro racer he had. It seemed workable but again it wasn't self centering.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

sry not a momentary switch sort of like a push button switch. so when i let up on it it would cut the circut centering the servo.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

hey Fritto,

For your third channel,is that one of the push forward,and when you let it go,it will spring back to center?If so,where did you get that?I need one of those,this switch is killing my thumb!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
OK FritoBandito I was thinkin of doing a momentary switch on the center wire to a pot controling the rear steering. the momentary would be placed in a position where i could get my middle or ring finger to be able to push it. SO when im not pushing it the rear will center up then when i want to steer in the rear i would just hold the little button down... would that work?

Also would these pots work?

Main steering pot : http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=271%2D1714

EPA : http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=271%2D280

I kno the EPA pots that i posted are not up there in k ohms they are only 1 k ohms. Also they are only rated for .1 w at 50 v dc... but thats 50 volts...
Those parts will work ok. The 1k pot will just reduce the adjustment you're able to make. I think you'll be happier with at least a 2k pot though. If you can't find a small one consider using a larger pot and mounting at the top of the radio. Also, instead of Radio Shack check out http://www.alliedelec.com/ . I've bought quite a bit from them over the years and they have great service. It's just a little tough to wade through the bazillion parts in their catalog.

Dude, go with whatever makes you happy but I think you're going to find your control method difficult to use. I think the coordination of front steering, throttle with index finger, pushing a button with your ring finger, and working the rear steer with your thumb is going to be a *****. Also, the switch does provide for immediate centering but you're only putting off the inevitable task of manually relocating center. I actually think it would be better to leave the rear steer on all the time and just get into the habit of recentering the rear as you use it.

I was thinking about it and I think you might consider using an audio taper pot around the 7k value. That would let you have a shorter throw on the rear steering making it easier on your thumb and since it's an audio taper it would still have very a very fine control. Something to think on.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastPJ
hey Fritto,

For your third channel,is that one of the push forward,and when you let it go,it will spring back to center?If so,where did you get that?I need one of those,this switch is killing my thumb!
Yea it's a momentary. You know, I'm gonna have to visit my local store and see if I can get all the part numbers for you guys. Once I have those it'll be a no-brainer to find and order the parts from Allied.

Next time I do some project like this I'll have to remember to document all the parts so I don't look like an idiot later. Oh well.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Its ok..I might stop by there maybe on friday,since we are gunnabe there..What should I ask for?Momantery switches?I might pick up some mini computer fans,as well..They hook it up!They sold me one for 2 bucks last time I was there.