Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 03:30 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

this thread ROCKS!!!8-)

with all the pics and diagrams i was able to easily do my own conversion.

THANX everyone
Attached Images

xtremraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2006, 03:32 AM   #102
Quarry Creeper

last two
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #103
Pebble Pounder

why did you put the switch on the top?
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

i drive the wheel with my left hand (duh...i know) and would straddle that switch in between the thumb and forefinger. i thought it would be easy to just hit the switch with a little twist of the wrist. i may have to move it if the action isn't as smooth as i think it will be.

i also thought of moving it down the side in front of the wheel. that way i could just flip it with the fingers i'm not using on the wheel.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #105
RCC Addict

I got a few questions. First off; will 1k pots work? I went out and bout 2 for doing the indi steer. Another question is if I wanted an on/off switch for the rear steer, how would I wire that in, and would it center out if I were to do that?

And is there a 'lil more detailed wiring diagram somewhere?

Last edited by ILoveRCRockCrawlin; 01-14-2006 at 06:14 PM.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #106

hi,
i went through these tq3 topics, but couldnt find any info how could i mix ch1 and ch3 with a switch. maybe because of my language barrier / im from hungary / ,
i picked up a tq3 for this reason, but found out that with stock settings it cant be done
i think it would be hard to me to controll the rear wheels independantly, i would prefer them to move together with the front wheels
i apologise if i posted this in a wrong topic
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo
hi,
i went through these tq3 topics, but couldnt find any info how could i mix ch1 and ch3 with a switch. maybe because of my language barrier / im from hungary / ,
i picked up a tq3 for this reason, but found out that with stock settings it cant be done
i think it would be hard to me to controll the rear wheels independantly, i would prefer them to move together with the front wheels
i apologise if i posted this in a wrong topic
There are Y cables that you can get that'll do that for you. No transmitter modification necessary. You just plug the Y cable into channel 1 on your receiver and your two servos into the Y cable. Then the cable reverses the signal on one of the servos and there you have it.
FritoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

Yup... a Splitter pluss a reverser will do you just fine... But i think you will be alot happier with indepented rear wheel steering. I was leery at first and it took me all of about 2 batteries to get how to use it. Plus you realize the pluses with it. Also if you wanted to mod ur controler to mix the 2 channels you would have to do some crazy circuitry... overly complicated and useless.

Ben

(Sup FritoBandito)
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #109
Pebble Pounder

cant you just have a switch, when on, channel 3 will use the front steering pot (hence mixes the two channels), when off, it switches to the rear steering pot?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #110
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakk
cant you just have a switch, when on, channel 3 will use the front steering pot (hence mixes the two channels), when off, it switches to the rear steering pot?
Sure but that switch would have to be on the crawler itself.
FritoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #111
Pebble Pounder

I think it would work on the transmitter itself. Ill try it when Ill have some time on my hand.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

you could.... but then you got to factor in when you put 2 channels on one pot u have to increase the ohm rating by 2.... so instead of a 5k you would need a 10k for 2 channels and then when you switch off you need a5k pot.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #113
Pebble Pounder

you would only increase the current, because the two channels are parallel. the voltage would remain the same. The ohm rating of the pot only determines the end points of that channel (lower resistance means less travel) because it acts as a voltage divider, and the signal transmitted is proportional to these two voltages and their difference between the trim pot.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Has anyone found any sort of self-centering pot with a knob to use in place of the 3 position switch to provide proportional independent rear steering instead of the full left/center/full right? I've been digging around on the net but haven't found anything yet. Lots of pots have knobs, but I can't find anything that is self-centering.
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #115
Pebble Pounder

you will just have to get used to centering them.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

I'm on it. it will take me a little while to find all the parts I need and get everything operating properly, but I've figured out a couple of different methods that might prove to work well. I'll report back when I have pics and something to show. I'm juggling too many projects right now like an idiot. I always end up doing that
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #117

hi
thanks for everyhing, i got used to with the 3way switch in 20min, works excellent
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #118
Rock Stacker

Well I just found out that 1k pots just do not adjust the end points enough for the hitec 5955 digital servos. Rat shack doesn't have any 2.5k or higher submini pots! grrrrr.

I must say though, this thread saved me some bling before I was gonna throw money away on another transmitter. This radio works actually quite well this way. I installed the front and rear steering epa pots.

Once again, everything was easy to do except fit all the dang wires in there! grrrrrr. People, if you haven't done this mod yet, take special notice of wires and their routes, etc..... Real estate is at a premium in this transmitter.
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #119
Rock Stacker

"cosmohi,
i apologise if i posted this in a wrong topic"

1: cosmo these type y harnesses are commenly used on airplanes to work the flaps.mine is horizon hobby y harness reverser standard.item# #exra320.horizonhobby.com .but if your controler doesnt have servo speed adj. it is realy weird to drive...turns to fast.

2:question,can you wire the pot between the servo and rx in the truck?or does it have to be at the switch in the controller?just a thought,if it works you wouldnt have the space problem as with the controler.sorry if this was covered and i missed it,but i didnt see anything.
bipolarcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritoBandito
Be careful what you wish for! Learn how to solder and pretty soon you're doing it for all your friends, and their friends, and so on..
Yea its crazy, ill have kids commin up to me in the hauls at school sayin '''hey some one told me you can solder can you help me with some leds...'''lol welding if fun to but If you can weld ark,tig,mig what ever soldering isent too bad
trost is offline   Reply With Quote