Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Another enduro pre-runner (idea)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Another enduro pre-runner (idea)

Since Element did not, for some reason, released the Ecto instead of an IFS/Trailing arm truck, looks like I'll need ot build one myself.

Early days but heres the idea:

1. Buy element Trailrunner RTR
2. Sell body on ebay
3. Buy/build a trailing arm conversion. Basically something like the really nice kit here (https://www.extremerc4x4.com/product...rm-install-kit)
4. Buy a Kyosho Rampage Outlaw body and cage (https://rc.kyosho.com/en/olb003.html)
5. Attempt to somehow mount the body onto the chassis and come up with some means to extend the wheelbase out to 13" to accomodate the Kyosho body

Basically, I've always liked the look of the Kyosho but am not too mad for the 2WD, MOA drivetrain.

I'm 99% sure the body/cage could be made to fit the enduro chassis (there's a few examples of people using the AR44 axle on the rear of the Kyosho truck so it seems to fit crawler axle widths). I could then mod the extreme rc conversion kit (or fab my own) to fit the wheelbase. Add a decent 10T (5 slot) or so motor and away I go....

Anyone got any advice/thoughts on this idea?

Ta.
Cuiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another enduro pre-runner (idea)

As someone who is working on an element pre-trail runner (and a non-MOA 2WD Kyosho Outlaw), I can think of a few things.
In stock form, the element IFS doesn't have enough travel for a pre-runner build(IMO). I'm not quite confident enough in the mods I did to be able to walk through it, bit I can try to answer any questions you have about it. Increasing the travel as much as I did will eliminate the the FWD, with out modifying the differential/drive cups/half shafts, the half shaft aren't long enough.
The ExtremeRC trailing arm kit are some quality bits but due to the way the trailing arms and upper links mount, you won't be able to stretch wheel base to fit the Kyosho body without installing longer links/arms.
The outlaw makes a good platform for a pre-runner/trophy truck but needs some work if you want to make a more scale looking rig. It'll fit "standard" crawler axles but you'll need a good amount of offset (I don't have a number off the top of my head) in the rear to match the front and get the right fit under the fenders. It also requires some chassis modification, your choice of divorced transmission and a long drive shaft.

I'm far from an expert when it comes to custom builds but I can take some additional pictures for you or try to advise you on some of the mods/adjustments I made.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 06-11-2021 at 08:21 AM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the detailed response. I'd already taken a good look at your enduro prerunner build thread, it was part of the inspiration Clearly you're as much a fan of solid rear axle trucks as me...

Of the points you raise, a couple jumped out.

1. IFS is not really pre-runner standard. I tend to agree but I was thinking to build it up and then figure out mods from there. Your build thread already gave me some great pointers.

2. On the wheelbase extension, my thinking was that I'd either slide the extreme_rc link mounts back by one or two bolt holes or try to manufacture something myself. To get the top links to line up I was planning to swap the existing lower links to the top (should buy about 1cm extension) or/and maybe just buy some gatekeeper links (it's already a 12.8" wheelbase). After that, I'd just need a new longer driveshaft.

Are you thinking that effectively sliding the trailing arm mounting point back by ~2cm won't work?

Thanks.

Last edited by Cuiken; 06-11-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The front of the trailing arms mount to the skid trays/electronics trays so in theory you could just drill new holes in those so it can be scooted back. Though I have a feeling the inner part of the trailing arm (front) mount wont work without notching it to clear the frame (after being scooted back).

I dont know if this is possible since the gatekeeper trailing arms are fairly short but you might be able to swap in trailing arms from a bomber, Yeti or something.

I can get you the gatekeeper trailing arm measurements later if you'd like.

On the subject of the IFS being "pre runner" I cant really speak to that but I will say it allows this thing to soak up jumps and bumps like no solid (front) axle rig. It definitely allows you to drive faster.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The ERC kit uses Yeti arms. You might have to use KORP trailing arms to reach ~13"WB.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

As far as I know, the IFS fits the Gatekeeper too. It has already 12.8 wheelbase. I think, Vaterra Twin Hammers trailing arms are a little longer and might get you to the 13".
I have all three of them and would have to measure, if you are interested. OR: Convert the Rampage to solid rear axle. Sounds like less work to me.
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:52 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hi, thanks for all the advice and offers of assistance.

Couple of responses.

As to starting out with the gatekeeper vs the trailrunner, I think it will cost less to convert the trailrunner to trailing arm than to convert the gatekeeper to IFS. Probably not much in it TBF but I also reckon the trailrunner wheels might work better than the gatekeeer ones.

It also looks like I've underestimated the differences between the gatekeeper's trailing arm setup and the approach I was thinking to take. So, parts might not be interchangable.

All that said, it would be incredibly helpful to know the following:

1. Centre eye to centre eye length of the gatekeeper trailing arms.

2. Centre eye to centre eye length of the twin hammers trailing arms.

3. Centre eye to centre eye length of the Kyosho Rampage... trailling arms.

4. Total axle width of the Kyosho. I guess best would be to measure bearing to bearing.

Of course, I could just wait until August and buy the Rampage Pro kit, accept RWD and MOA and be done with it but, where's the fun in that?
Old 06-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

If trying to stay with the Trailrunner wheelbase, how about the Proline Ford Ranger, with the optional fenders?
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Gatekeeper trailing arms look to be about 90mm eye to eye.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
If trying to stay with the Trailrunner wheelbase, how about the Proline Ford Ranger, with the optional fenders?
I've seen a few of these being done and I quite fancied trying something different. TBH, I just think the KORP looks epic.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Gatekeeper trailing arms look to be about 90mm eye to eye.
Thanks. I gather the Yeti ones (for the extreme RC conversion) are 141.5mm.

So, either

1. Get something ~100mm and use the gatekeeper mouting setup
2. Use the Extreme RC mounting scheme but find some ~160mm arms
3. Use the Yeti arms but slide the mounitng points ~2cm backwards

Very keen to hear how long the KORP arms are if anyone can measure theirs?

Ta
Old 06-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Twin Hammers stock trailing arms (eye to eye): 118 mm
Yeti/Gmade GOM: 140 mm
Gatekeeper: 90 mm

And then there are trailing arms for the TH like Blue Monkey RC that use separate rod ends, so you can make them slightly longer if you want.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiken View Post
Thanks. I gather the Yeti ones (for the extreme RC conversion) are 141.5mm.

So, either

1. Get something ~100mm and use the gatekeeper mouting setup

2. Use the Extreme RC mounting scheme but find some ~160mm arms

3. Use the Yeti arms but slide the mounitng points ~2cm backwards

Very keen to hear how long the KORP arms are if anyone can measure theirs?

Ta
I have a KOR(P) I can take some measurements from when I get off work. FYI, Kyosho makes long and short arms for the KOR(P), the long set are stock but I believe the short ones might bring the wheelbase down to 12.3.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

In case it wasn't already posted:

Kyosho Outlaw Rampage trailing arms: 165mm
Old 06-15-2021, 12:07 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxman View Post
In case it wasn't already posted:

Kyosho Outlaw Rampage trailing arms: 165mm
Awesome, thanks.

On the face of it then, pretty much the right length to work with the extreme RC mounting kit:

140mm arms (yeti rams intended to match the kit) ~ 313mm wheelbase

165mm arms ~ 338mm wheelbase. Near as dammit the 335mm of the shell.

Figuring out the top links might be a bit trickier....
Old 06-15-2021, 12:19 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Ohh, and if anyone could measure the width of the stock KORP rear axle, that would be really helpful too. Basically, the dimension I've attempted to highlight below:

Old 09-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I know it's been a while, but if you're still on its idea, Doing the KORP MOA Delete route is about as involved... maybe a little bit less... than doing the whole Enduro prerunner conversion.

It's pretty straightforward and doesn't require a ton of chopping up the KORP chassis to make it all work. I just finished my build, and it's heaps better than the original platform, or any of my attempts at modifying an SCX. Still a few tweaks & some fine-tuning to do, but it was definitely worth the effort!
Attached Images

turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

As a KORP owner and solid axle IFS prerunner maniac... I approve of this thread.

I have also been tempted to get a gatekeeper and convert to IFS with custom arms and deleted front drivetrain.

Somehow this is more tempting than converting my KORP to get rid of MOA.
I too, have some ideas... all of the link lengths posted above is VERY helpful, thanks everyone!!!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:09 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Well, after a really long delay, I got back on this idea.

basically I went out and bought a KORP and built that. I absolutely love that truck. It looks epic and drives like a dream (if your dream includes ridiculous oversteer and limited traction). Pic below:

I went ahead and plunked its shell on top of my Element Enduro chassis and, guess what? It fits! Well, sort of. The front body posts line up perfectly and the wheels sit really nicely inside the fenders. You couldn't do better frankly. The wheelbase of the shell is obviously too long but that will be sorted by some combo of trailing arms and home made bracketry.

Pic below (aside from wheelbase issue, the wheels are 'all wrong' and the body needs slightly lowered):

I got so excited about this I went ahead and ordered:

1 x Element Trailrunner
1 x KORP shell (flat rear bed version as the cage is out of stock everywhere)
1 x Trailwalker rear roll cage
1 x Element gatekeeper arb
1 x Element wheel base extender (basically a longer drive shaft)
1 x Axial Bomber rear trailing arms
1 x Vanquish bumpers (cause they work with everything)

Couple of items are out of stock till Feb so there'll be a bit of a delay but, the project is now a goer.

Just need to start thinking about a colour scheme....
Old 01-28-2022, 03:05 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Was thinking something along these lines for paint but with the wheel arches and bumpers picked out too:

Next call is motor/ESC.

I don't want this thing to run too fast but it'll want to be faster than the stock motor/ESC in the trailrunner. I already run my Enduro Crawler on a 2800kV AXE540 with the stock pinion and maybe a hair faster than that would be ideal.

One thought I had was to go with a HW 10BL120 and sensored surpass motor. Maybe try a 13.5T motor (~3000kv) and gear up slightly from the stock pinion. Sure the 10BL120 is not a crawler ESC but this won't really be a crawler. I gather people have been successfully using the 10BL120 in Wraith's for years too.

Alternatively, a HW1080 and a ~15T motor brushed setup but I think that might run too hot. Certainly, the HW1080 and Radon 5 slot 12T in my Wraith runs really hot on 3S (the motor, not the ESC). Even then, it's not exactly flying along.

Any ideas happily received.

Another enduro pre-runner (idea) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-Runner Idea 2JSC Non Crawler RC's 19 08-07-2016 02:16 PM
pre runner fischerry Newbie General 10 11-16-2006 08:07 PM
pre-runner idea smokinubyrc Chit Chat 14 10-31-2006 10:49 AM
pre runner foodstamp Chit Chat 24 04-28-2006 11:44 AM
Pre-Runner! bob69 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 07-21-2005 11:26 PM