Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Enduro Journey!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #181
RCC Addict

Default Re: B-MOW's Enduro Journey!

Brian, it’s not identical, but how about the element DeMello bumpers?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/element...42170/p1353336

Unless you’re shooting for metal bumpers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2022, 09:14 AM   #182
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Brian, it’s not identical, but how about the element DeMello bumpers?

Unless you’re shooting for metal bumpers

Thanks Tom! It does look similar. I've got one coming from Amain. Also picked up the Trailrunner bumper just to see what it looks like.

I'd like to get a metal bumper, but the price for the RC4WD FJ metal bumper made my heart skip a beat! $125.00 OUCH!!!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #183
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Thanks Tom! It does look similar. I've got one coming from Amain. Also picked up the Trailrunner bumper just to see what it looks like.

I'd like to get a metal bumper, but the price for the RC4WD FJ metal bumper made my heart skip a beat! $125.00 OUCH!!!
That is a sweet looking blue.

Thing I have found about some of them nice bumpers is they end up killing the approach angles. So depending on your plans for the rig, they aren't always the best option anyway
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #184
Quarry Creeper

The Trailrunner bumper is very wide 3 piece. I have one and throw it up next to the body later.

The Knight’s Custom Drumello bumper for the Metric Body might work better. Otherwise, you’ll want something similar in size to the GMade bumper.

Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:29 AM   #185
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
That is a sweet looking blue.

Thing I have found about some of them nice bumpers is they end up killing the approach angles. So depending on your plans for the rig, they aren't always the best option anyway
I agree on the bumpers. Luckily with this FJ body, the grille sits nearly flush with the front bumper mount. I'm hoping once I find a bumper that somewhat matches the front body lines that it will have a decent approach angle. The Sendero body that I took off hung over the front bumper mount about an inch or so. The FJ body should perform better. This rig has always been a trail rig and will still be a trail rig. I have to say though it has been a very capable and great performer on more technical climbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
The Trailrunner bumper is very wide 3 piece. I have one and throw it up next to the body later.

The Knight’s Custom Drumello bumper for the Metric Body might work better. Otherwise, you’ll want something similar in size to the GMade bumper.

I wasn't sure how big the Trailrunner bumper was since I don't have the Trailrunner in my collection YET! It probably will be to big, but we'll see when it arrives today.

I did see the KC bumper and thought it may be close, but didn't want to spend the money on it only to find out it won't work. If all else fails, I'll take another look at the KC bumper.

I do have the GMade bumper currently on my GCM J2 Skeleton build. It was originally on this rig with the Sendero body. I could take it off and see how it lines up with the FJ.

Name:  IMG_4167 (2).jpg
Views: 403
Size:  158.1 KB
Old 09-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #186
Go Buckeyes!

I decided to order a couple different style bumpers to test fit on the FJ to see how they lined up with the nose of the body. I picked up the Element RC Trailrunner bumper set (#ASC42244) and the Element RC Knightrunner DeMello bumper set (#ASC42170).

As @Phryo described in a previous post, the Trailrunner bumper is very wide and way to big for the FJ. The Knightrunner DeMello bumper fits the body better and looks very similar to the bumper in the picture of the 1:1 that I am trying to recreate.

Here is a look at each one of the bumpers installed. I think the DeMello can be made to work. The ends of the bumper will need trimmed to bring them inline with the body sides and so that the tires clear them.

I still need to test fit the GMade bumper to see how it looks. Will try that later.

Name:  IMG_9734 (2).jpg
Views: 372
Size:  153.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9735 (2).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  163.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9732 (2).jpg
Views: 378
Size:  177.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9733 (2).jpg
Views: 380
Size:  168.3 KB

Thought I'd throw in this pic showing the size comparison of the HPI FJ Cruiser and the Element Knightrunner Tacoma body.

Name:  IMG_9727 (2).jpg
Views: 371
Size:  180.5 KB
Old 09-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #187
Rock Crawler

Even the kr bumper looks a little wide, didn't expect that.

But sitting next to the tacoma, damn HPI got that body scale pretty damn good. Was expecting it to be alot bigger.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:40 PM   #188
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Even the kr bumper looks a little wide, didn't expect that.

But sitting next to the tacoma, damn HPI got that body scale pretty damn good. Was expecting it to be alot bigger.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Yeah, they look damn good sitting next to each other! Both bodies are scaled to perfection!

If I use the KR bumper, I'll trim the "wings" off the ends of the bumper to match the fender flare location. Haven't decided yet what to do with the gap between the bottom edge of the body and the bumper. Will have to work with the bumper mount a bit to get it just right.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:58 AM   #189
Go Buckeyes!

Ok, I believe the front bumper problem is solved! Back in the day when the Enduro was new, I had installed the GMade GS01 front bumper with clear alum skid plate. I then replaced it with the Trailwalker front bumper when it came out awhile back. The GMade GS01 bumper found its way over to my GCM J2 Skeleton build. (Which sadly after 2 years is still not finished!)

Last night I removed the GMade bumper from the J2 and reinstalled it on the FJ Enduro. Perfect fit! It's almost like the GMade bumper was designed for the FJ Cruiser body.

The bumper lines up damn near perfect with the body lines and has a decent approach angle. At full turn and flex, the tire clears the bumper really good. I will have to slightly trim the fender flare a bit so that the tire doesn't rub.

As seen in the last pic, I can move the bumper in one hole if I were to remove the light mounts in the back of the bumper. What I may do though is trim the lexan below the grille so that the light mounts will clear. That way I can still mount a set of aux. lights on the bumper.

Now to figure out which rear bumper will fit. I think that may be a little trickier to find a bumper that matches the curve of the rear body lines.

Name:  IMG_9741 (2).jpg
Views: 343
Size:  170.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9742 (2).jpg
Views: 339
Size:  177.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9743 (2).jpg
Views: 339
Size:  177.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9744 (2).jpg
Views: 329
Size:  139.1 KB
Old 09-15-2022, 09:08 AM   #190
RCC Addict

Excellent choice! I like that look a lot for the fj

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:44 PM   #191
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Ok, I believe the front bumper problem is solved! Back in the day when the Enduro was new, I had installed the GMade GS01 front bumper with clear alum skid plate. I then replaced it with the Trailwalker front bumper when it came out awhile back. The GMade GS01 bumper found its way over to my GCM J2 Skeleton build. (Which sadly after 2 years is still not finished!)

Last night I removed the GMade bumper from the J2 and reinstalled it on the FJ Enduro. Perfect fit! It's almost like the GMade bumper was designed for the FJ Cruiser body.

The bumper lines up damn near perfect with the body lines and has a decent approach angle. At full turn and flex, the tire clears the bumper really good. I will have to slightly trim the fender flare a bit so that the tire doesn't rub.

As seen in the last pic, I can move the bumper in one hole if I were to remove the light mounts in the back of the bumper. What I may do though is trim the lexan below the grille so that the light mounts will clear. That way I can still mount a set of aux. lights on the bumper.

Now to figure out which rear bumper will fit. I think that may be a little trickier to find a bumper that matches the curve of the rear body lines.

Attachment 401027

Attachment 401028

Attachment 401029

Attachment 401030

I have got to agree on the fitment of that bumper! Once you get it flush, even the outside of the bumper lines up nicely with the fender flares.

I cut the light mounts and outside hoops off on mine. Got it really flush against the body. Had to trim the posts as well. They were getting hit by the steering rack.

I did the Knight’s custom TRD skid and raise kit for the Metric on mine. I had to install the metal plate after installing the plastic part of the bumper.

As for the rear, I went and designed a tube bumper for it. Couldn’t find something I was happy with.

Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #192
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Excellent choice! I like that look a lot for the fj

Thanks Tom! I do think it fits the look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
I have got to agree on the fitment of that bumper! Once you get it flush, even the outside of the bumper lines up nicely with the fender flares.

I cut the light mounts and outside hoops off on mine. Got it really flush against the body. Had to trim the posts as well. They were getting hit by the steering rack.

I did the Knight’s custom TRD skid and raise kit for the Metric on mine. I had to install the metal plate after installing the plastic part of the bumper.

As for the rear, I went and designed a tube bumper for it. Couldn’t find something I was happy with.

Yeah it does! Your FJ looks really good with the bumper tucked up tight.

Your rear tube bumper looks perfect and is the perfect match for the rear of the body! Great job designing it! I'm still not sure yet what I'll do for the rear. I may try to bend up some brake line and braze on.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #193
I wanna be Dave

Really nice Brian! Hmmm... I have a Sawback GLS here with that bumper that could use a bumper change.....
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:28 AM   #194
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Really nice Brian! Hmmm... I have a Sawback GLS here with that bumper that could use a bumper change.....
Thanks soze! Looking forward to the Sawback updates!
Old 09-23-2022, 06:30 AM   #195
Go Buckeyes!

New stuff just got dropped off at the shop.

Ordered another whip antennae from Bad Andy at Twisted Tree RC. He has many different style whip tops to chose from. Also can customize the color and to the length desired.

Also picked up some Twisted Tree firewood bundles to take on our next camping trip! And a Twisted Tree velcro patch to put on my Tacoma headliner.

Name:  IMG_9833 (2).jpg
Views: 283
Size:  180.3 KB
Old 09-27-2022, 06:39 AM   #196
Go Buckeyes!

As I wait for the ambient temperature and conditions to improve in my paint booth (outdoors), I stopped at the LHS and picked up another set of Pitt Bull 1.9 Rock Beast tires. The new set of wheels for the FJ also arrived a few days ago.

I had a hell of a time trying to mount the RB's with the stock foams. I couldn't get the bead to stay in the wheels. I tried to bevel the inner foam with an X-acto knife and still couldn't get them to seal. A few months back I ordered a set of cheapy Amazon foams. They've sat on the shelf waiting for the right set of tires to come along. So I figured I'd try them out since the stock RB foams weren't going to work. Surprisingly the cheapy foams fight perfectly in these smaller Rock Beast. I had zero issues tightening down the beadlock.

Name:  IMG_9840 (2).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9841 (2).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  181.8 KB

I installed scale lug nuts that I had in my spare parts bin. They really look great and add a scale look these wheels were missing. I have a few packs of M2 scale hardware on order to replace the beadlock screws. These wheels are screaming for a scale rotor, so I'll have to get a set of them on order ASAP!

Name:  IMG_9842 (2).jpg
Views: 272
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9843 (2).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  180.5 KB
Old 09-27-2022, 07:24 AM   #197
RCC Addict

Man... You just don't half-ass anything do you? I feel like you're a true perfectionist. And yeah.. that bumper is absolutely ideal on that front end. Best choice for sure.

I mostly stay away from threads of vehicles that I don't own... partly due to lack of interest ( obviously, if it's something you don't own then it's hard to relate to or have much worthy input) but also because opening certain threads make it a bit too tempting to resist another wallet-draining purchase lol.

At any rate... I finally decided to peek in here and man... you are NOT helping me to remain focused on saving money! As always, I really enjoyed reading through this one and I love all the details.. not just on your rigs but in your garage as well. Beautiful work/ precision execution.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:14 AM   #198
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Man... You just don't half-ass anything do you? I feel like you're a true perfectionist. And yeah.. that bumper is absolutely ideal on that front end. Best choice for sure.

I mostly stay away from threads of vehicles that I don't own... partly due to lack of interest ( obviously, if it's something you don't own then it's hard to relate to or have much worthy input) but also because opening certain threads make it a bit too tempting to resist another wallet-draining purchase lol.

At any rate... I finally decided to peek in here and man... you are NOT helping me to remain focused on saving money! As always, I really enjoyed reading through this one and I love all the details.. not just on your rigs but in your garage as well. Beautiful work/ precision execution.
Hey thanks drifter for taking a peek! Thanks for the kind words too!

I try my best not to do anything half-assed and I think my German ancestors have rubbed off on me as I like to make everything as perfect as I can get it! I do f-up sometimes though!

Don't feel bad, I have the same problem in peeking into other build threads and before I know it more money is flowing at supersonic speeds out of my wallet!

Glad you enjoyed the read and I'm hoping to have more to add soon.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #199
Go Buckeyes!

The scale hardware for the wheels showed up. Ordered the SSD M2 scale hardware for the beadlock rings. Also, picked up more of the Club5 Racing scale lug bolts in different sizes.

Name:  IMG_9856 (2).jpg
Views: 212
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9858 (2).jpg
Views: 209
Size:  178.2 KB

Also forgot to mention that I installed the SSD wheel hub plugs to these wheels. The hub plugs help line up and secure the wheels when tightened down.

Name:  IMG_9857 (2).jpg
Views: 215
Size:  168.7 KB
Old 10-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #200
Rock Crawler

Scale wheel hardware is on point. Glad such things exist lol.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote

B-MOW's Enduro Journey! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Journey of SMP TAT76 Axial SCX10 II 57 03-08-2021 06:08 AM
My trx-4 journey dittohead Traxxas TRX-4 6 08-05-2017 10:42 PM
Mammoth's journey to the berg mammoth EnRoute Berg 42 04-23-2015 07:51 AM
I seen Journey last night... Kamikaze Chit Chat 8 08-09-2008 01:47 AM