Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: smogs Elements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
Slow is the new Fast

Default smogs Elements

As we are entering build season for those up here in the cold, dark north I decided to pick up the recently released Element Gatekeeper kit. It should keep me entertained at the bench for the coming evenings. When it arrived the hobby shop I figured I would would take one home before it was no longer a local option. Going forward I am going to post various stuff related to the build in this thread. Beyond that I will likely document changes I make to it and various experiences I have with it.

So I started by building the cage. It's what I felt like doing.

This cage is beefy and solidly constructed. It's easy to imagine that it will adversely affect performance.

Meet the Rocky and Eugene driving team

This is what you see when you open the kit

Last winter I built the Element Enduro kit. It has been my go-to rig since spring. I am running it on the 12% over drive gear configuration. This rig has been thoroughly enjoyed. Brought me a lot of joy this past summer. Some key features include
1)HH Trailmaster Sport 21T
2)Hobbywing 1080 Brushed ESC
3) DS 3218 servo(cheap and significantly better than the average RTR servo)
4)SSD Brass Steering Knuckles(SSD FTW)

Here is some video out on the trail and up the rock. Its a bush trail I have developed over the past number of years out at the cabin. I spent more time up there this summer than I ever have in the past. The trail grew substantially this summer in the company of this Element JP-1 Enduro.

I also have the 1.55 RTR Trailwalker. It's my first 1.55 rig. I also picked it up very recently. The price on it has been so good I had to get one. I threw some SSD brass steering knuckles on it and upgraded the wheel hexes to aluminum for some quick performance enhancements. Lately I have been in the paint, so I went to town on the stock body

Besides, I had to get rid of this sticker shenanigans...

Currently it looks like this, however it is a work in progress. I like to paint the exterior of my bodies so that should I desire to alter the look at any time. I can...

I will be posting stuff related to all of my Element rigs here. Thanks for checking out the thread.

Last edited by smog; 11-12-2020 at 10:47 PM.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: smogs Elements

Here are some photo's and features of my kit built Element Enduro

Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21T, 12% overdrive Stock Gearing

Hot Racing Aluminum Shock Towers, 40Wt Factory Team silicone fluid filled stock shocks

Wertymade steel Sliders, Pro Line Krawler tires on SSD D-Hole Steel beadlocks

I also have a set of Pro Line XL KM3's on GMade steelies that I run freqently

Last but not least, this is my home brazed bumper. Shoulda taken a pic before a smashed it. Good news is that the bumper did not bend. Bad news is the truck frame did ..haha. Thankfully its minor. Doesn't affect performance in the least. Bumper is now crooked however

Last edited by smog; 11-14-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Rocky and Eugene look great!
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotboy View Post
Rocky and Eugene look great!
Thanks. My girlfriend named them. Somehow she thinks the driver looks like Eugene Levy, a Canadian comedian. I am just going with it
Old 11-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #5

Which jeep body is that on enduro..? It looks awesome!!
bluecusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecusion View Post
Which jeep body is that on enduro..? It looks awesome!!
I really like that body as well. It provides a good balance of scale looks and performance. I only have good things to say about it. It is made by MST and called the JP-1.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
As we are entering build season for those up here in the cold, dark north I decided to pick up the recently released Element Gatekeeper kit. It should keep me entertained at the bench for the coming evenings. When it arrived the hobby shop I figured I would would take one home before it was no longer a local option. Going forward I am going to post various stuff related to the build in this thread. Beyond that I will likely document changes I make to it and various experiences I have with it.

So I started by building the cage. It's what I felt like doing.

This cage is beefy and solidly constructed. It's easy to imagine that it will adversely affect performance.

Meet the Rocky and Eugene driving team

This is what you see when you open the kit

Last winter I built the Element Enduro kit. It has been my go-to rig since spring. I am running it on the 12% over drive gear configuration. This rig has been thoroughly enjoyed. Brought me a lot of joy this past summer. Some key features include
1)HH Trailmaster Sport 27T
2)Hobbywing 1080 Brushed ESC
3) DS 3218 servo(cheap and significantly better than the average RTR servo)
4)SSD Brass Steering Knuckles(SSD FTW)

Here is some video out on the trail and up the rock. Its a bush trail I have developed over the past number of years out at the cabin. I spent more time up there this summer than I ever have in the past. The trail grew substantially this summer in the company of this Element JP-1 Enduro.

I also have the 1.55 RTR Trailwalker. It's my first 1.55 rig. I also picked it up very recently. The price on it has been so good I had to get one. I threw some SSD brass steering knuckles on it and upgraded the wheel hexes to aluminum for some quick performance enhancements. Lately I have been in the paint, so I went to town on the stock body

Besides, I had to get rid of this sticker shenanigans...

Currently it looks like this, however it is a work in progress. I like to paint the exterior of my bodies so that should I desire to alter the look at any time. I can...

I will be posting stuff related to all of my Element rigs here. Thanks for checking out the thread.

I paint on the outside too for this reason. I’ve repainted my Bronco body about 3 times in 7 months lmao

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:20 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nice! I guess I'm not the only Element Junkie!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Hey, Element junkie here too! Great looking rigs smog!

Nice job on Rocky and Eugene!

I'll be following along!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking trucks smog. I'm live in Minnesota and I'm also a believer in a good winter project, I actually look forward it every year. ... Have fun!!!
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I paint on the outside too for this reason. I’ve repainted my Bronco body about 3 times in 7 months lmao

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Right! Take the good with the bad. You can lose a good paint job but get a total refresh
Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice! I guess I'm not the only Element Junkie!
happily guilty. It has been an enjoyable shift from the ever-so-loved Ascender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Hey, Element junkie here too! Great looking rigs smog!

Nice job on Rocky and Eugene!

I'll be following along!
Thanks B! I always enjoy trying to give the ancient Tamiya head a different look. Tamiya has gotten more miles out of that driver...

Element is killing it with the EndURO. Good stuff going on over there at Element
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Nice looking trucks smog. I'm live in Minnesota and I'm also a believer in a good winter project, I actually look forward it every year. ... Have fun!!!
Winter! Right On, thanks.

I miss visiting Minnesota. Before this germ disaster, I would cross the border regularly to visit.

**** I updated my 2nd post to spec out my kit Enduro and post a couple of pics.

ThANKS again guys!!

Last edited by smog; 11-12-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

So, I haven't exactly been focused on my Gatekeeper build. My workshop was too cluttered, dirty, messy and generally unsightly. I got to cleaning and organizing so that I could feel better about digging into such a fresh kit. I ended up building storage cubbies at the table end and a small shelving unit fir the floor next to me. Things are looking much better now.

Now I am back into the Gatekeeper Kit. Built the Transmission with 12% overdrive, chassis and front axle. I really like the quality of the Element hard plastics.

Built my front axle just how I like them. Switched in some SSD chubs. brass knuckles and diff cover. I like my corners weighted.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Looks great! I like the quality of the SSD parts I used on my Enduro.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Love the work shop area, I wish I had something like that to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #15
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Looks great! I like the quality of the SSD parts I used on my Enduro.
Thank you. SSD stuff is great, the value is unmatched imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Love the work shop area, I wish I had something like that to be honest.
My RC workshop has grown to take over 1/3 of my basement. With the exception of my back yard, its the favorite spot on my property. Having a permanent area to build has certainly nurtured the fun in it all. Likely fed the addiction to boot. What began as a small corner table has only continued to grow. I am now considering building a 1:24 scale rock course down here. I don't even own a 1:24 rig...yet

thanks for checking out the thread
Old 11-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Man, this looks terrific. I like both sets of wheels on it too (but I think I prefer the SSD's). I was pretty set on the MST landcruiser body for my next truck, but I might consider this.

Nice paint job too.

Btw, are you pretty happy with that motor?
I'm using a leftover 20T axial motor in my Enduro until I decided what I want. I like the slow speed control, but I wouldn't mind just a bit more wheel speed as even with the 3s, mine won't even 'peel out'
mash914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash914 View Post
Man, this looks terrific. I like both sets of wheels on it too (but I think I prefer the SSD's). I was pretty set on the MST landcruiser body for my next truck, but I might consider this.

Nice paint job too.

Btw, are you pretty happy with that motor?
I'm using a leftover 20T axial motor in my Enduro until I decided what I want. I like the slow speed control, but I wouldn't mind just a bit more wheel speed as even with the 3s, mine won't even 'peel out'
Thanks, appreciate the support. I don't think you can go wrong with the MST bodies, someone over their has body design dialed. There are a few of theirs I covet.

Been running that Holmes 21T motor on 3s, and I just love it! That Enduro has been far and away my favorite crawler thus far. It has both excellent wheel-speed for trails and slow start-up for crawling.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #18
Slow is the new Fast

Built some links this eve so I could mount this beautiful axle to the Enduro chassis. Not a fan of building links, but I do like the Element version of them. Check out the pan-hard mount on this Gatekeeper. Nice upgrade Element, Keep up the good work!

Painted up a simple interior for my Trailwalker as well. Its a no name lexan piece I bought off of Ebay. It bears close resemblance to the Pro Line Classic interior, but has significantly crappier detail

Painting driver figures is a thing I enjoy

Old 11-22-2020, 10:18 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I’ve been really curious since the gatekeeper came out (and I don’t see myself getting one anytime soon), any chance you could measure the height between front shock mount lower holes and the actual shock mounting hole?

I’m trying to figure out if the gatekeeper shock mounts are any taller or would allow a lower ride height. The panhard mount must be adjustable for a reason....
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’ve been really curious since the gatekeeper came out (and I don’t see myself getting one anytime soon), any chance you could measure the height between front shock mount lower holes and the actual shock mounting hole?

I’m trying to figure out if the gatekeeper shock mounts are any taller or would allow a lower ride height. The panhard mount must be adjustable for a reason....
They are considerably taller than the stock element shock towers. So much so that I was going to buy a set for another build but the price is a little ridiculous. $13.99 for just the plastics and then you have to buy the aluminum inserts separately for $17. Seems silly since you can't use the towers without the inserts.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote

smogs Elements - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Braving the UK Elements... Old n ratty Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 3 11-02-2019 02:15 AM
You against the elements apr 25 rrwkrawlzone RRW-JOHN Florida 9 04-16-2015 06:57 PM
Rouge Elements.... sisterfunk Nevada 4 01-26-2012 10:03 PM