Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

Default Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

Greetings and happy new year RCC! I thought I'd kick off the new year with a thread of my GK build (yet another - hope you don't mind).

Introductions 1st - my name is Joah [ig: autorista], and this kit is also a re-introduction to the hobby. It's been 30 years since I pulled a throttle trigger and I've been seeing a lot of reissues of the kits I grew up with (Tamiya, Kyosho, Schumacher) so I decided to dive in again. Much has of course changed and rather than go with the same 4wd buggies I had, rock crawlers seemed to have the most "just go out and have fun" spirit. Why the GK? Honestly the Associated name (all the cool kids had RC10s back then), but looking deeper it's built on an established Enduro platform with great factory and aftermarket parts support, tons of user feedback but the GK had some newness to it to explore as well.

About that research, one thing that did not exist a while back are all the resources readily available such as this forum, youtube, etc. and that certainly made the reentry learning curve much easier. Thanks to SOZE and OSRC with their build threads which should still be the go-to for any GK builder. My intent here is to share some build notes and hopefully contribute something.

So this started with me making the most out of Black Friday deals and I've been building since, give or take with work, waiting for things to arrive and holiday stuff. I also don't follow the exact build sequence in the manual, preferring to layout and do some test fitting first (plastic model kit habit). And sorry for the terrible work surface.
autorista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

Default Re: Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Bag 1, 2] Chassis

[Aftermarket parts]
STRC front bumper mount STC42001FBK
STRC servo tray STC42004BK
STRC battery tray STC42002BBK
STRC rear chassis brace STC42002CBK
STRC rear bumper STC42001NBK

I'm of the thought that a stiff chassis is central to vehicle and suspension performance. STRC makes a complete set for the Enduro. All line up with the drilled holes on the c-rails as expected with a few caveats:
-The servo tray needs some easy modification to clear the panhard nuts.
-The rear bumper won't work as it doesn't have a surface to mount the body posts.
-In hindsight, the servo tray, battery tray and rear chassis brace are the ones to install.
-CNC shock towers and/or tower braces would be the remaining places to upgrade.

With respect to assembly, I prepped the c-rails by skimming all holes with a drill bit - just to be sure the screw threads don't catch on the rail. I attached the central motor mount to both rails starting with the rearmost positions then just went front and back attaching the various chassis elements.

Slot in plastic part to clear panhard nuts.

Easy dremel work to replicate.

Went with a ProTek RC 370TBL for the servo.

Last edited by autorista; 01-01-2021 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 01-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Default [Bag 4 gearbox] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Bag 4 gearbox]

[Aftermarket parts]
Element aluminum spur gear hubs ASC42033
Associated 48p 17T pinion ASC1335

Gearbox was a pretty straightforward build, went with the 12% overdrive Option 2. The plastic spur gear plates look flimsy and the aluminum factory option part (not pictured) makes sense. Only thing to note is that when tightening up the plastic gearbox clamshells the shafts and movement begin to bind at some point, mainly on the 3 lowermost screws on mine. Just keep checking that the gearbox turns freely and back off if you observe this.

Went with a Castle Mamba X Slate 2850kV combo, 17T pinion
Old 01-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #4

Default [Bag 5, 6 axles] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Bag 5, 6 axles]

[Aftermarket parts]
STRC brass C-hubs STC42062CBR
STRC brass lower link mounts STC42060LBR
Samix brass diff covers END-4075
Samix brass knucke bushing END-4067

All of this went together smoothly, the only thing to pay attention to is the correct orientation of the c-hubs to the spline which isn't marked on aftermarket parts. Get this wrong and the behind-the-axle steering rod will interfere with the driveshaft or links.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #5

Default [Wheels and tires] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Wheels and tires]
[Bag 10 cage] not pictured

[Aftermarket parts]
Vanquish Method MR310 beadlock wheels VPS07769
SSD RC +3mm Offset Wheel Hub w/Brake Rotor SSD00194
Pro-Line Hyrax 1.9" G8 PRO10128-14
Pro-Line 1.9" XL Dual Stage foam PRO6174-00

Lots and lots of screws here. First bout of serious cursing and frustration when trying to mount the tires, youtube to the rescue. What worked for me was lubing the rings and this let me push them in deep enough to get the screws started.

Also jumped ahead and built the cage, bag 10. More screws, sore hands after wheels/tires/cage for sure.

Last edited by autorista; 01-01-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #6

Default [Bag 7 links] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Bag 7 links]

[Aftermarket parts]
Samix Enduro Titanium high clearance (8pcs) link kit END-5025HLS

The Samix rods were a splurge. The kit rods work for the front but not the GK rear. Used the channel-lock and rubber band method to hold the rods while threading the rod ends. These are not turnbuckles so getting to the manual spec length is a close-enough affair. IMO machined flats somewhere on the rod and left/right handed thread for length adjustment would be nice.

The rear anti-roll bar clearly restricts the freedom of the rear axle. I can see this as an aftermarket tuning point later (arm length, bar diameter, bar material).

Old 01-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

Default [Bag 9 shocks] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Bag 9 shocks]

[Aftermarket parts]
Element RC Enduro Aluminum Shock Parts (Blue) ASC42085
Reedy Aluminum Clamping Servo Horn ASC27123
Losi Silicone Shock Oil 30wt TLR74006
Losi Silicone Shock Oil 50wt TLR74000

Messy and time consuming to bleed. These blue Al shock tops really need a bleed screw, idk if the plastic parts are easier to bleed. I paid attention to the forum and youtube feedback out there on the Enduro and GK behavior, and specially OSRC's thread. Will go back and look at sag again when everything is built.

Starting with this baseline on my suspension settings:
-30/50 F/R oil
-Highest shock position F/R
-2mm collar-to-top spring preload F/R
-Highest panhard mount position
-Total 7mm spacers at servo horn (panhard/steering link roughly parallel at this point at rest).

Last edited by autorista; 01-01-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #8

Default [Bag 8 driveshafts] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Bag 8 driveshafts]

[Aftermarket parts]
Samix Enduro Aluminum driveshaft set END-6244
Samix Enduro Aluminum driveshaft cups END-6043

Good news is the Samix Enduro driveshaft set fits the GK F and R. The front driveshaft hits the bottom of the battery box restricting full suspension travel, I think this has been noted on stock rods too. I'll file the battery box later.

What do you use to lube the sliding inner shaft?

After everything was assembled up I checked axle alignment just to make sure the front and rear axles are as parallel as possible. Since the rear of the GK rides on fixed plastic trailing arms the rear axle makes a great reference point. The motor mount block is another good reference point. Measuring the rear axle to the motor block confirms the rear position, then measuring front axle to rear axle on each side confirms the front. Measuring my front axle to the motor block also confirmed that my front was off on one side, so a quick correction on one front lower link squared everything up.

Last edited by autorista; 01-01-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #9

Default [Roller!] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

And this is where I have it as of new year's eve. Next up is electronics and body panels/paint.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Default Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

Welcome back to the hobby and congrats on getting the Gatekeeper! Element did a great job on designing the Enduro lineup.

I too come from the RC-10’s of the mid 80’s. I jumped back into the hobby a few years back after a 30 year break. Luckily as you stated, we know have RCC, YouTube and the web and a massive amount of aftermarket parts to help build the rigs of our dreams!

Great write up so far! Nice upgrade list too!

I too believe in a nice stiff chassis so that the suspension can react as it is meant to do.

Following and looking forward to seeing more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #11

Thanks Brian. It's fun building a kit again and I figured I might as well build it up exactly as I envision from the start.

If anything I'm now more curious about the Enduro truck kit and exploring options for that platform.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #12

Default [Electronics] Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts

[Electronics]
Castle Mamba X ESC
Futaba R304SB-E receiver

[Aftermarket parts / supplies]
Associated SC10 receiver box ASC9877
Maxx XT60 connector kit #2880
Maxx 6" servo extension #3130
Tekno wire guides TKR45003

Fired up the soldering iron and setup the electronics. Had to make a charging cable for a LiFe transmitter battery too. I didn't want to put the receiver exposed and on the running board so I used the rear shock cross brace location to mount a SC10 receiver box. No real reason for that other than it looked like it fit and the wire port would be at the bottom right when mounted. It worked out, the Castle ESC rx wire was long enough but I did have to get an extension cord for the servo. Tidied up the wiring with Tekno wire guides. Batteries in transit so testing will have to wait until next weekend, along with my least favorite task of body and paint.

Also not sure what to do with the ESC switch at the moment.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:29 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

The receiver box fits and looks great! Always nice to keep the receiver dry and dust free!

I like most, have just cut the Mamba X switch off and soldered the wires together so that it is always on. The switches are known to fail. I had that problem on my first Mamba X. I ended up taken off the switch on my other Mamba's so that I wouldn't have to worry about a failure out on the trail.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Looks like the build is going smoothly. I too dry-fit parts during initial assembly. Its annoying enough to learn that parts dont interface properly, and it's worse if you've covered the parts in grease before discovering the issue.

I second the deletion of the switch. Castle makes some great electronics, but the switch is definitely the weak link among their lineup.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I like most, have just cut the Mamba X switch off and soldered the wires together so that it is always on.
Same here. Personally, I don't know why a crawler ESC would have a switch to begin with.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #16

That's pretty unanimous feedback on the switch, many thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-08-2021, 10:55 PM   #17

Nice write up so far! I have got my GK totally finished now, sounds like we think a lot alike. After building my Enduro, it really helped decide on what upgrades to spend my $$ from the start.

I also went with the STRC chassis bits. From setting up full scale track cars, I know that any chassis flex will hinder the suspension from doing the job it was designed to do.

Good call on the 50 wt shock oil for the rear, the damping definitely needs to be slowed down a bit with the leverage from the trailing arms. I went with 40 up front.

The switch elimination tip on the ESC sounds good. Although I have not had any issues with my Mamba X on the Enduro, I might give this a try.

I was looking for a receiver box that would fit, but all the ones I saw seemed too big, so I just mounted it on the slider for now. I will have to get an SC10 box ordered up! Thanks for showing that

Looking forward to seeing the final paint work!
RLB454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quick question- PINION GEAR- does this kit have one? I have been reading that the kit has NO pinion gear- I like the GK platform and you are doing a great job and welcome back to the hobby
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue2010 View Post
Quick question- PINION GEAR- does this kit have one?
No pinion gear supplied with the kit.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

okey dokey- now the hunt begins- I plan on using a 12T HH Motor and a 1080 ESC as I have these avail to me in my toolbox-what gear are you going with?
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, enduro, gatekeeper

Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gatekeeper Kit Upgrades RLB454 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 7 12-16-2020 03:37 PM
Gatekeeper GC-3A Comp Chassis Kit Axial THE PARTS GUY Vendors Market 2 07-30-2010 09:01 PM