Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Enduro Kit, Jim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Enduro Kit, Jim

Much waiting and anticipation for this release..... I waited patiently at the window

Alas my parcel arrived and I was a exited as a young JRH

I got to work and came up with this

Just like the Venture it has behind the axle steering which I really like

Holmes Hobbies Puller 500 Team 16T, 14T pinion
Castle Creations Mamba X
Castle Creations 10 amp BEC (waterproofed with conformal coating)
Savox 2290
RC4WD MT/R's
Sendero bronze wheels
Bronze shock bodies, black caps and extra springs
All of the hard plastic parts except the knuckle and C-hub
KNK Brass wheel hex up front Aluminum in the rear (maybe I'm smart? maybe I messed up my order?)
Crawler Innovations 4.5" Lil Nova dual stage foams (cut down in width)
Spektrum 5 ch receiver, the new models aren't waterproof so I used conformal coating on this as well.

The instruction manual is lacking in a few details for the shock tower and link locations but I figured it out in the end by looking at the RTR.

The shocks feel really smooth and the soft green and white springs I've installed are really soft almost too soft but it still drives good so I'll stick with these for a little longer. I used 30wt shock oil.

The Hard plastic parts are a fair bit stiffer and when the chassis is assembled it seems pretty rigid much more than a SCX10.2. I weighed a few of the hard parts to compare them to the stock plastic and they were actually a touch heavier, pretty much the same weight but a tiny bit heavier which is unfortunate I thought that was part of the goal of the different plastic. Not to worry though its still a light rig.

I really didn't notice this until I had everything together but the outputs for the transfer case sit really high and also put the driveshaft at a fairly steep angle, seems close to being maxed out up front. I think this might be due to Element wanting to hit the Axial bolt pattern on top of the larger than usual gears at the outputs. Most other outputs sit right on the skid notched in while the Enduro's is up about 20mm higher than typical. I think this tranny can likely be lowered with some creative mounting and trimming but I'll revisit that later.

Worth noting the bearing going into the piece on the right needs to be pressed on with quite a lot of force, find a clamp or vice to use. Keep in mind the bearing will still stick out a bit when fully seated.

Also worth noting the pinion to spur gear alignment was a bit tricky due to the spur gear being a bit closer than usual. Though this will vary as some motors have longer shafts than other. If I flipped the pinion like they show in the manual the spur gear would ride on the portion of the pinion without fully cut teeth. So I had to hunt down a pinion with the teeth cut all the way through the gear as opposed to having a flat step.

The Enduro chassis sits a lot higher than most of my other 1.9 rigs with non portal axles, they're pretty much at the same height as my TRX-4 & Gen 8. So I think there's some more performance on the table there with some new shock hoops to lower the chassis, also for later me to worry about.

I ended up installing my servo out of order, I didn't pay enough attention and mounted it from above and I had the drag link on top of the knuckle instead of the bottom. This made for tons of bump steer, about 5-10 degrees when I compressed one side at a time. I was worried for a second that it was just a bad design causing it, Luckily it was as easy as fixing my stupid mistake.

It was a bit eye opening how moving these drag link mount points had such a huge effect. To me the link looked like it was just right, nice and parallel but it really wasn't.

It weighs in at 5 lbs even with a battery and no body

and another 10 oz for an Acsender K10 placeholder body

Really not bad at all especially considering how heavy the included machined idler gears are, its a 1lb tranny all assembled.

More on the shocks, I heard some say they leak so I took measurement on the O-rings and spacer. I could make a thicker spacer to get a better seal potentially. So far I haven't noticed any leaking but I've only driven it once so far.

They put an O-ring in the preload adjuster which is a nice touch.

First mod was to cut up the battery tray to drop it down 10-12mm

Its basically sitting on the frame rails now.

What I did was notch the stock battery tray for the chassis rails. I used the ridges next to the holes as a guide of where to cut and the battery strap notch for the other cuts, and the angle I did freehand with a razor. The other cuts were made with a fine toothed hand saw.

Flip the battery tray mount point/crossmember upside down so its offset downwards instead of up.

Notch the battery tray to clear the driveshaft.

Removed the ridge that runs between these holes so the battery tray could sit on the mount (this is probably not needed as I did shim this up a bit after)

With all that the tray now sits like so, with the chassis rails sticking up a few mm.

I printed up some spacers to lift the tray up 2.3mm

Put them in these holes

and that raises the battery tray up so its now flush with the chassis rails. Stock screws can be re-used.

I though about designing a new tray to 3D print but hey why not re-use what I already have.

EDIT: Shinchu brought it to my attention the inner fenders will probably interfere which they do so I may design a new battery tray to print after all.

The body I picked up is the MST Jimny and since its getting cut in half it will be know as Jim. The lexan seems to be a little bit on the thin side, not paper thin but not thick but it does have good detail and plastic molded parts, its a nice body.

Cut in half, I still need to reshape the rear a tiny bit so I can glue it back in, the angle of the roof needs to be changed a bit

Its got some poke and the tires should be the first thing to hit, plenty of clearance to the body.

I cut down the rock sliders and electronics/side trays to fit the width of Jim.

I used the various holes on the rock sliders as a guide to drill new mounting holes passing 2 m3 screws though both rock sliders to keep them aligned.
(I cut off the ends of these which had the holes I used)

As I mentioned I cut off the ends of the slider so I could bring them inwards.

I drilled out a hunk of 3/4" plywood so I could mount the side trays and be able to run it through a saw.

Ran it though the table saw and took off about 12mm on each. It cuts fine no melting or cracking

Mounted

More to come

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-18-2019 at 11:34 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Enduro Kit, Jim

Real nice start. I like what you did with the battery tray and big fan of the bronze shock bodies.

Jim is coming along all right
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nicely done. Looking forward to more.

My kit should be here today sometime...
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hey Jim !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Real nice start. I like what you did with the battery tray and big fan of the bronze shock bodies.

Jim is coming along all right
Thanks, I've had a bit of a head start and only now got around to starting a build thread, I think once the body arrived it kicked me into gear to post up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Nicely done. Looking forward to more.

My kit should be here today sometime...
Thanks, I dont think this kit will disappoint you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Hey Jim !

Hang up and Drive
Jim says howdy

Last night I scooted the rock sliders and side trays forward to fit where the cab sits better.
Its comes centered on the skid, you can see here its pushed forward now.

The hole spacing used to mount the side trays are the same spacing hole to hole (maybe 15mm or so between each hole). This means to scoot it forward all thats needed is to scoot it forward 1 hole and to drill 2 additional holes (1 on each side), the trays can be used as a template to drill these. For some reason the ribs or supports aren't symmetrical and one side will need a little trimming to allow the screw to go in straight while the other clears.

I did give up 2 of the mount points that go to the far end of the skid, there are supports in the way. I dont think this will be much of an issue if at all though.

Now the sliders sit just where the cab sits, I got lucky that the hole spacing was the right offset. EDIT: I measured and its 13mm forward/between holes

And at full compression the tire (4.75" tall) gets very close to the nub on the end of the sliders, but it does clear. If it ends up being an issue I can always cut that little nub off.

Next I need to finish up bending and reworking the back of the cab thats been cut off. Though I am considering just taking a flat piece of lexan to make a new back section because the Jimny rear has an indent for a spare tire which I wont be putting on as well as spots for tail lights both would look out of place on a cab. But everything from the window up looks as it should so I may just design the rear cage to cover those parts of it.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-18-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice, always enjoy seeing what you do with yours.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hey man great idea and really clean work on both the battery tray and sliders. Couple questions for you. So until recently I’ve done all my rigs with the Mamba X and a sensor CC or HH motor. Lol due to my new found addiction this this hobby I’m going broke so the last couple rigs I’ve scaled back a bit on cost and have used the HW1080 and a brushed HH. Also did this cause wanted to get into some brushed stuff as I’m new and haven’t gotten to experience how they perform. Ha sorry got off track there. So a big selling point for me with the Mamba X was my LHS learning me about BEC’s and how the Mamba X has a good one that eliminates the need for an external one. Seeing that you’re using one I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong or missing out on something by not using an external BEC with Mamba X’s. Also would it be possible to get the part number of the KNK brass hexes for the Enduro please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice, always enjoy seeing what you do with yours.
Thanks, I appreciate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
So a big selling point for me with the Mamba X was my LHS learning me about BEC’s and how the Mamba X has a good one that eliminates the need for an external one. Seeing that you’re using one I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong or missing out on something by not using an external BEC with Mamba X’s. Also would it be possible to get the part number of the KNK brass hexes for the Enduro please.

I'm using the Mamba Micro X and they do recommend a external BEC if you use a high powered or digital servo. The micro X is much smaller just like the name implies and they just dont have the space to cram a powerful enough BEC in it like they can with the normal Mamba X. The normal Mamba X has a much better BEC and thats the version that doesn't need one.

Here's the KNK brass wheel hex's (KNK12X6BRA) https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/knk12x6bra.htm
They make various versions, some have a step to fit Axial wheels (which I really dislike, I'm done drilling out wheels to make these work) and they come in various thickness's. Stock Enduro is 6mm so I just stuck with that.

You also mentioned wanting to try brushed and I just wanted to add that you can also use the Mamba X for brushed motors, it just needs the settings changed in castle link. I know your trying to save some dough so I wasn't trying to imply that you pick up another X just that the ones you have could be used for a brushed setup too.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-18-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I love what you're doin' with this Jim(ny) body - such a cool vehicle that I wish they sold here...

I'm sure there's a lot coming that you haven't shown us yet!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks, I appreciate that

I'm using the Mamba Micro X and they do recommend a external BEC if you use a high powered or digital servo. The micro X is much smaller just like the name implies and they just dont have the space to cram a powerful enough BEC in it like they can with the normal Mamba X. The normal Mamba X has a much better BEC and thats the version that doesn't need one.

Here's the KNK brass wheel hex's (KNK12X6BRA) https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/knk12x6bra.htm
They make various versions, some have a step to fit Axial wheels (which I really dislike, I'm done drilling out wheels to make these work) and they come in various thickness's. Stock Enduro is 6mm so I just stuck with that.

You also mentioned wanting to try brushed and I just wanted to add that you can also use the Mamba X for brushed motors, it just needs the settings changed in castle link. I know your trying to save some dough so I wasn't trying to imply that you pick up another X just that the ones you have could be used for a brushed setup too.

Ha oops my bad, missed that it was a Micro. Ya totally understand now. And thanks for the info on the hexes.

Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Casey, great to watch you put your spin on these tiny trucks!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I love what you're doin' with this Jim(ny) body - such a cool vehicle that I wish they sold here...

I'm sure there's a lot coming that you haven't shown us yet!

Thanks Durok! Theres a lot I haven't even figured out myself, lol we can all be surprised together!

My builds dont always have much direction, I just tend to focus on little minutia and that in turn leads me along as I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
Ha oops my bad, missed that it was a Micro. Ya totally understand now. And thanks for the info on the hexes.

No problem glad to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Very nice Casey, great to watch you put your spin on these tiny trucks!!!
Ernie

Thank you sir!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Fantastic idea on the battery tray.

Love the body and thanks for the detailed build thread.

Looking forward to more!👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Fantastic idea on the battery tray.

Love the body and thanks for the detailed build thread.

Looking forward to more!����
Thanks for the kind words.

Last night I was checking the inner fenders to see if they would work with the slider/side trays which I've moved and I just wanted to post up what I found here too.

The sliders were moved forward 13mm and where the inner fender mounts to the trays (see the divots) there is a flat spot that extends just far enough to poke 2 new mount holes so in theory this should work after the sliders are moved.

I got the back of the cab glued on earlier today using some E6000 and magnets to keep it tight and clamped. I've only glued the very top for now since I need to bend the rest (the sides) of the back portion, so it will be done in 2 phases. Its hard to see but I've cut a slit at each of the upper corners so I can bend this back piece to my liking, I need to do this so I can hide the rear most side window.

Oh and this also came up in another thread but I'll stick it here too. The KNK wheel hex's need to be drilled out to 5mm, theres a small step at the outer end. I've found myself doing this somewhat frequently so I made up a 3D printed jig to help keep the hole centered.
I think I'll post this up on Thingiverse later so others can take advantage of it too.

Slide the hex in the bottom, place it hex end down on a work bench or waste block and drill it out. The drill bit works good for removing the hex too, slide it into the hex and wiggle it back and forth

The Jig is now available on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3759923

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-09-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Great looking build so far. Also every time I read the title it's like it is telling me to buy an enduro kit jim. My name is Jim. Maybe I should?
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Ah that made me laugh, its really just a clever marketing scheme targeted at all Jim's out there lol
Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

So you need to add a shortened PU bed, then we get Jim Bob!!
Yeah its a Southern thang!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Liking that jig you built for the hexes. I need to get around to changing mine soon too.

Great thread so far, enjoying following along.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #19
Go Buckeyes!

Nice build thread and mods! Love the bronze and black shocks! Can’t wait to see how the body turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Subscribed, awesome build so far
mk3jetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Enduro Kit, Jim - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dezfan’s Enduro Kit •Rock Crawling Perfection• dezfan Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 58 06-29-2020 07:02 AM
New Enduro Trail Truck Builder's Kit - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-10-2019 11:27 AM
Pre-Order Now - New Enduro Trail Truck Builder's Kit RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-06-2019 07:06 PM
FOFF Jim, no wait - Jim’s FOFF jlsandkes Formula Offroad 31 10-24-2011 12:12 PM
thanks Jim jamesdicken Arizona 5 03-08-2010 07:38 PM