Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Elements: An Enduro kit build by SVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Elements: An Enduro kit build by SVT

Idk how i missed this thread lol. Always enjoy your build threads SVT, very entertaining! Lookin good so far. The upgraded panhard mount looks good. Subd n watchin where this rig goes

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Idk how i missed this thread lol. Always enjoy your build threads SVT, very entertaining! Lookin good so far. The upgraded panhard mount looks good. Subd n watchin where this rig goes
You have exquisite taste it which build threads to follow, allow me to reward your good decision with another installment.

As everyone may recall, we left off last time with a drying chassis and a transmission. Though the kit was substantially built at this point, I decided to add some odds and ends because trucks are never truly complete.

Here is the now dry chassis, the paint I used came out as a pretty close match to the factory finish. I'll pretend that it was planned like that but really was a complete oxidant (still winning the chemistry pun game ).

Because I know you are curious, here is the Element chassis rail vs an Axial rail.

And here the Axial chassis laying on top of the Element chassis. Avert the gaze of children or just tell them the chassis are wrestling.

You screw a bunch of things together, and you are lead to this point.

I added the hard battery tray mount and rear brace then installed the stock battery tray mount/chassis brace in the rear for a little more support. All together, the chassis has a fair amount of torsional flex. The amount of flex is a little less than an SCXII and much more than a TRX4 on a scale of comparable trucks.

Quick, who can tell me the difference between these 2 shock towers?

No one, as I thought.

Technically, they are labeled as "LR" and "RF" for their correct locations but I'm convinced they are identical.

The stock panhard mount was cut off the stock shock tower, it fits so nicely snugged up against the new mount.

Here is another big gripe with the Enduro. They touted the cross platform compatibility as a big feature so you can use much of the current aftermarket parts then do this:

The hole spacing on the sliders is off by 1.5mm from the SCXII making those sliders incompatible. You would have thought that something that is changed as often as sliders would have been considered, especially since the mounting points on the Enduro trays didn't need to be 1.5mm more narrow for any good reason.

While I was on the chassis and before things progressed too far, this seemed like a good time to make something new. The first step was shamelessly stealing HumboldtEF's idea of flipping the battery mounting cross brace to lower it. I fired up the CADmium and designed then printed a couple of spacers.

While it is appreciated that Element throws in 2 different battery trays, neither of which fit my preferred batteries nicely. The short tray isn't long enough and the full size tray is enormous. This one, however, is just right.

While I was at it, the battery got lowered a good bit because of the flipped cross member and the fact the tray is much narrower. A little visual reference:

The rear tray in the pic mounts about 2mm higher but the overall drop is about 5mm.

The Helios 3000mah 3S packs fit like they were made for this tray (can't imagine why) but most 2200mah 3S packs should fit too.

A servo was dropped in around this time as well.

This is an Xpert WR6601; it is brushless, H2O-proof, puts out about 320 oz of torque at 7.4V, and was sitting in the box of servos. I can't stress the last part enough because it meant expending the smallest amount of effort and money. A Vanquish servo horn replaces the stock plastic horn for reasons which I will not bother explaining as they are so obvious.

While electronics were going in, this Spektrum receiver was tucked into the very generously sized electronics box.

It is "sealed" and "waterproof" but I trust no box to actually be so thus a waterproof receiver was used. The seals do stay in place nicely which is better than a lot of boxes and it is separate from the side tray for easy removal or use in other projects.

A minor nitpick about the receiver box is this integrated antenna mount.

First, who uses an antenna tube on a scale truck? More importantly, why does the fact of not using an antenna tube (of which nobody does) leave a gaping hole in the top of the receiver box lid? I sealed mine up with some E6000 from the inside. I would suggest you do this as well if you argon in the water.

Moving on to the axles, I'm less than impressed right away.

5x10 inner pinion bearings in 2019? Really? It looks like a much more durable 5x13 or 5x14 bearing could have been used here with all that material around the bearing.

The gears are a machined helical cut pinion and a sintered 1 piece gear/locker combo. Here they are installed in the housing.

And with the chunky, ugly diff cover mounted up.

One of the things that makes me happy is you can tighten the diff cover down nice and tight and the gears still spin smooth. Speaking of the gears, they are reversible inside those cavernous housings so you can do whatever you wish with that knowledge.

When it came time to install the c-hubs, one tightened normally and the screw just kept spinning in the other so it must have stripped although from surprisingly little effort. Popped it off and noticed this split which was causing the screw hole to spread apart when attempting to tighten.

I'm unsure if this crack occurred during installation or it was cracked out of the bag either way doesn't make it any less annoying.

My solution was to replace the stock M3x14mm screws with M3x16mm screws and some M3 nuts to clamp everything down.

New c-hubs will be ordered at some point but let's see how this goes. While going through this annoyance, I did appreciate the marks for correctly aligning the c-hubs on the axle.

As all good trucks should, the front axle is equipped with universals.

They do seem to be lightly binding when rotating at the steering stops, a slight clearance would probably be a good thing.

I do wish the kit version got metal hexes but I'll try the plastic ones first.

One thing is for sure, they won't be failing from sloppy tolerances. These are a tight fit on the axles and getting them off will most certainly suck.

Reread the last few sections and use a little imagination to learn about the rear axle then we get here.

There is a chassis and axles, now we need some kind of link to link them together. Hmmmm, maybe these things will work.

It says they are steel I'm thinking tungsten has the more appropriate atomic mass for the incredible density of these. Not sure if I'll manage to use all 50 but maybe I can tape a few to the bumper because front weight yo!

Links were built and I advise caution because there are exactly zero spare rod ends included in the box.

I went with the optional steel pivot balls because who doesn't want balls of steel? Or is that brass balls? Whatever one that makes you sound tougher.

Speaking of balls, here is a comparison of the stock Element balls, the optional steel balls, and Axial balls:

The Element balls are nearly identical to the Axial ones and can likely be used as a direct replacement. They also fit Traxxas rod ends so the Element balls should be a good option for using those on your Axial trucks. If I haven't said it enough at this point: balls.

All for now, time for me to xenon my way.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Good job dissecting the ins and out of a new truck!!!! I think you and Casey do that as good or better than anyone else on here!! Keep up the good work.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Quick, who can tell me the difference between these 2 shock towers?

No one, as I thought.

Technically, they are labeled as "LR" and "RF" for their correct locations but I'm convinced they are identical.
Since you offered the challenge....

They are NOT identical.

Look at the diagonal support haunch spanning the screw mount and the body post...they are indeed different. Why? That I can't answer, I didn't design the parts. For purposes of mounting, they might have similar dimensions.
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I can see the difference now too, the picture really helps. I'm betting I got these mixed up on my build because I couldn't really tell the difference by looking at them.

I also stripped out a C-hub, the manual says to tighten them until they come together at the split but I'd recommend only tightening it until it feels good and tight or use a nut and longer screw like svt923 did.
I wasn't too concerned because I plan to replace them with metal C-hubs once available.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

i'll be sure to keep an iron these parts incase of breakage...

i-ron.

no?

*ION! while not quite an "element" i think it applies.

i have 3 kids, 2 of them are 10 i should be better at this by now.
thanks for the frame rail comparison! also confirms my suspicion you cant use SCX10 shock hoops up front. maybe rears? if you wanted metal with more upper mount adjustability. (since you already separated your panhard mount this would be a nice option for you- oh wait... IM CATCHING ON TO YOU SIR!)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Good job dissecting the ins and out of a new truck!!!! I think you and Casey do that as good or better than anyone else on here!! Keep up the good work.
Thank you, good sir.

I shall keep up the good work and expand upon my assortment of build threads later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Since you offered the challenge....

They are NOT identical.

Look at the diagonal support haunch spanning the screw mount and the body post...they are indeed different. Why? That I can't answer, I didn't design the parts. For purposes of mounting, they might have similar dimensions.
You make a logical and well reasoned argument based on easily observable facts, you will be completely disregarded as this is the world we now live in.

Had you said the Earth is flat, I might have believed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I can see the difference now too, the picture really helps. I'm betting I got these mixed up on my build because I couldn't really tell the difference by looking at them.

I also stripped out a C-hub, the manual says to tighten them until they come together at the split but I'd recommend only tightening it until it feels good and tight or use a nut and longer screw like svt923 did.
I wasn't too concerned because I plan to replace them with metal C-hubs once available.
I'm not the only one I know that put the shock towers on wrong.

As long as the c-hubs aren't spinning, they are staying until aluminum one's replace them. Tightening them as much as the manual specifies seems like a surefire way to break them, especially the hard plastic versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
i'll be sure to keep an iron these parts incase of breakage...

i-ron.

no?

*ION! while not quite an "element" i think it applies.

i have 3 kids, 2 of them are 10 i should be better at this by now.
thanks for the frame rail comparison! also confirms my suspicion you cant use SCX10 shock hoops up front. maybe rears? if you wanted metal with more upper mount adjustability. (since you already separated your panhard mount this would be a nice option for you- oh wait... IM CATCHING ON TO YOU SIR!)
I'll have to go to the judges on the ion pun.
Approved +1 internet point
Old 07-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

YES!!!!! now im only negative 2,999!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #29

Sub'd
SuprchrgdTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Hello everyone.

I trust everyone had an enjoyable and productive weekend.

Not me.

I accomplished nothing.

Since I did nothing, I definitely can't tell you that I fitted a prototype skid plate (or "gearbox mount" in Element speak).

And I definitely can't tell you it lowers the transmission and motor to improve CG and driveshaft angles.

Too bad I did nothing this weekend.

Maybe I'll have more for you next time.

Sorry about that.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

you pinche CARBON!!!!

(how'd i do?)
Old 07-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
you pinche CARBON!!!!

(how'd i do?)
+5000 "Don't tell my mom what that means" points
Old 07-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Since I did nothing, I definitely can't tell you that I fitted a prototype skid plate (or "gearbox mount" in Element speak).
Show us more of this nothingness or unobtanium, I'd like to take a look at that under a microscope.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I'm really hoping for a way to get all these really trick 3d printed Enduro upgrades without actually owning a printer! Are some of these files going to be posted somewhere like Shapeways? The design of these parts is quite professional...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I'm really hoping for a way to get all these really trick 3d printed Enduro upgrades without actually owning a printer! Are some of these files going to be posted somewhere like Shapeways? The design of these parts is quite professional...
If I were a wall street broker, and I gave you information saying this skidplate will be made available for purchase through a vendor I am very confident you know of, I COULD be arrested for insider trading. So I won't. Just don't go nuclear, we'll eventually get atom.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Show us more of this nothingness or unobtanium, I'd like to take a look at that under a microscope.
OK, since I like you guys:

Just actinium cool about it.

Pretend the dark photos are to purposefully obscure details and not from bad photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
These should be available from a vendor we know and love but details are being flushed out. Keep waiting and keep believing the design process is more than an amateur clown show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
If I were a wall street broker, and I gave you information saying this skidplate will be made available for purchase through a vendor I am very confident you know of, I COULD be arrested for insider trading. So I won't. Just don't go nuclear, we'll eventually get atom.
Iodine think you better remain neutron on the situation, bromine.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Was the bottom of the transmission case shaved down in the first picture?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Was the bottom of the transmission case shaved down in the first picture?
No mods needed to the transmission.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Very, very nice!!! I wish my nothing turned out so well!!!
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Nicely done! I could totally gold for this.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Elements: An Enduro kit build by SVT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enduro Kit, Jim HumboldtEF Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 100 01-01-2021 12:01 PM
A Super Special Bomber Build by SVT svt923 Axial RR10 Bomber 43 07-02-2019 09:02 AM
Help me pick out some tires for my 1/8th Scale SVT Raptor build DeoreDX Tires and Wheels 3 02-19-2014 12:23 PM
svt raptor scale build King James Paint and Body 14 11-27-2011 09:36 AM