RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/element-rc-1-10-enduro-trail-truck-sendero/)
-   -   Anyone have issues with the kit version caster blocks cracking? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/element-rc-1-10-enduro-trail-truck-sendero/610996-anyone-have-issues-kit-version-caster-blocks-cracking.html)

Boogie 08-15-2019 11:01 AM

Anyone have issues with the kit version caster blocks cracking?

I was building my new Enduro Builders Kit the other night and was following the instructions to tighten the screws on the caster blocks (aka C hubs) until the ends met that clamped around the axle. One hub did fine, the other cracked long before it was tightened down.

I reached out to AE/Element first via phone, who has some weird customer service hours which prompted me to message them on FB. Once I messaged them, they were quick to respond and send me some new hubs and mentioned they will be omitting the instruction to tighten the clamp until the ends meet.

Just an FYI for anyone that is assembling a kit and may possibly run into this issue.

Topher Builds 08-15-2019 12:05 PM

Re: Anyone have issues with the kit version caster blocks cracking?

You’re not the first I’ve heard of this happening to, sounds like they get replacements out as quickly as possible though.

I haven’t heard of any breaking during trailing yet which is a worry for sure. A little early to tell.

mikemcE 08-15-2019 12:55 PM

Yep I did that on my HARD parts, same result. One email and replacements arrived in under a week coast to coast.
Oddly it was only one.

Hang up and Drive

RCTom 08-15-2019 02:46 PM

I'll be working on my kit tonight. Since Element said not to tighten the ends until they touch, how tight did they say to tighten them?

GA Dawg 08-15-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCTom (Post 5956508)
I'll be working on my kit tonight. Since Element said not to tighten the ends until they touch, how tight did they say to tighten them?

Still go pretty tight unless you want this to happen on the trail.

https://i.imgur.com/88ZxG6N.jpg?1

SSD 08-15-2019 05:37 PM

I think you will be seeing that happen a lot on these axles.

durok 08-15-2019 05:42 PM

Methinks something Enduro this way comes from SSD...(?)

Someday, at least.

It's early days yet!

I'm taking the pre-emptive step of using SSD Pro44 axles for mine, although I will be saving my RTR axles and some other RTR bits for a later build.

No BTA steering that way, though - not that I'll really miss it.

BTW - a ramped-front aluminum diff cover would do wonders for the stock Enduro axles!

(hint-hint...)

SSD 08-15-2019 06:19 PM

No hints required (wink)

durok 08-15-2019 06:22 PM

Now, that's what I like to hear... "thumbsup"

HumboldtEF 08-15-2019 07:51 PM

One of mine stripped out before it could crack (stock not the hard), but personally I wasn't too worried becuase as soon as other options pop up the plastic knuckles will be gone.

Topher Builds 08-15-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5956557)
One of mine stripped out before it could crack (stock not the hard), but personally I wasn't too worried becuase as soon as other options pop up the plastic knuckles will be gone.

This. I know it hasn’t been long but I’m ready for some upgrades. Chubs, knuckles, and aluminum shock towers/pan hard top my wish list at the moment.

punkindrublik 08-15-2019 09:18 PM

Wish I'd read this before I purchased new ones. Should've made a phone call. Ah well...

durok 08-15-2019 11:09 PM

There's a 3D-printed steel shock tower/Panhard on Shapeways, but it requires drilling and tapping for hardware and isn't cheap...

They'll come out with better soon enough!

JatoTheRipper 08-16-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSD (Post 5956539)
I think you will be seeing that happen a lot on these axles.

What makes you say that? I'm not familiar with these caster blocks or axles, but it's a really odd failure to have and seems like a design that would be hard to screw up.

SSD 08-16-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5956655)
What makes you say that? I'm not familiar with these caster blocks or axles, but it's a really odd failure to have and seems like a design that would be hard to screw up.

Well you would think so but they did. The splines are too shallow.
I really dont like the Enduro axle. It's a backwards step compared to what's out there already. Anyway, I will fix it as usual...

Topher Builds 08-16-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSD (Post 5956656)
Anyway, I will fix it as usual...

That's what I'm waiting for. What else is in the works and any ETA?

I'd like to keep the BTA, otherwise I'm considering going with the good ole pro44s.

JatoTheRipper 08-16-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

I really dont like the Enduro axle. It's a backwards step compared to what's out there already. Anyway, I will fix it as usual...

Oh wow.

I agree. The Enduro axles look terrible and that alone is a reason I wouldn't consider buying the truck.

DukeMinnix 08-16-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5956659)
That's what I'm waiting for. What else is in the works and any ETA?

I'd like to keep the BTA, otherwise I'm considering going with the good ole pro44s.

I'm considering buying two ar44 builder axles and some rear lockouts and shafts for the enduro. Build the enduro axles both as rears and the ar44s as fronts. My mind is always turning.

Rock Concepts 08-21-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCTom (Post 5956508)

There is a update, just tighten tell they are snug, over tighting wil cause them to crack."thumbsup"

Rock Concepts 08-21-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

I am so glad your here to fix it! LOL I will let R&D know your on it! :lmao: