Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Running in water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Running in water

I come from a racing/light bashing RC background and have always avoided running them in water, even the ones that are "waterproof."

New to the crawling aspect with an Enduro RTR. I know the electronics are pretty much waterproof and the receiver box is sealed pretty good, but what else do I need to be aware of/concerned with when running in water with this guy? I know this is a general newbie question but I wanted to know about my truck specifically as I don't even know if the RTR comes with bearings or bushings for example. Haven't looked that far in the manual yet

What extra precautions and after running maintenance should I be aware of with this truck specifically out of the box?

Thanks!
SledgehogRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Running in water

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgehogRC View Post
I come from a racing/light bashing RC background and have always avoided running them in water, even the ones that are "waterproof."

New to the crawling aspect with an Enduro RTR. I know the electronics are pretty much waterproof and the receiver box is sealed pretty good, but what else do I need to be aware of/concerned with when running in water with this guy? I know this is a general newbie question but I wanted to know about my truck specifically as I don't even know if the RTR comes with bearings or bushings for example. Haven't looked that far in the manual yet

What extra precautions and after running maintenance should I be aware of with this truck specifically out of the box?

Thanks!
I have found that "factory waterproof" really means water resistant. I have waterproofed my electronics with conformal and had no problems. But, having said that, I do not intentionally run my trucks through water!! There are so many other water/mud problems that come into play doing it. Some people on here are into running up and down streams, mud holes and so on.
Why intentionally set your truck up to have problems with rust, mud, dirt, sand in your bearings, electronics and gears. I guess it's ok if you want to tear down your truck after every run. For me, if I wanted to run in water I would get a boat. JMO
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm going to be running my truck in a few local crawler competitions geared toward beginners, and there will most likely be water sections on the course which is why I'm asking.

I guess I'll wait for one of the guys on here who are into running up and down streams to answer then.
SledgehogRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #4

General advice says after each run flush out the truck with clean water, use compressed air to blow out all the excess water, and if you are running a brushed motor you will need to oil the bearings.
rnagenetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have been know to get in the water, maybe too deep. So far my TRX4 lost one ESC. In defense of the truck, I found one of the screws loose on the ESC. Prior to that I put in a lighting kit and most likely failed to double check the one screw. Lesson learned.

Here is what I recommend:

1. Open up the ESC box and put a small plastic bag around the ESC and zip tie it shut. (my RC boat is done this way)

2. Seal the ESC box with a small amount of silicone. Pay special attention to the wire bundle. Don't over due it, one day you will need to reopen it.

3. When you are done running in water, mud and so on, rinse it with clean water. grease, lube and so on. I also use WD40 on my motors.

I also bought a spare ESC for my parts box. Better safe than sorry. YMMV good luck!

Last edited by Daycrawler; 08-27-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I use conformal coating for my electronics to really waterproof them. It is smart to waterproof your truck, you never know when it will see any water or mud on the trials.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote

Running in water - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running a sensored brushless motor unsensored with water CoolRunning Electronics 9 03-22-2017 12:33 PM
After running it in water and mud? Axles and Trans gmackhurry Axial SCX-10 3 01-11-2015 10:01 AM
running water in tires with out foam. good or bad? grass hopper Newbie General 27 05-23-2012 10:32 PM
running a new brushed motor in water?? m1009cucv Electronics 2 07-06-2011 10:45 AM
Foam set-up for running mashers on mud and water? andres-tavares Tires and Wheels 4 07-28-2007 05:13 PM