Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Element RC Enduro Sendero Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #1

Default Element RC Enduro Sendero Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit build

That's one hell of a name!

Anyway, I recently picked up an Element kit to build while I was on my annual Columbus Day Weekend camping trip with my wife's entire extended family. Every year my wife's whole family camps in cabins at a state park outside of Oneonta NY. It's a great time to play with RCs, but this year I decided to bring a kit and build it while I was there.

Overall the kit itself went together pretty well, though I did run into a few situations that left me scratching my head for a while. The manual was Ok except that it wasn't clear in some spots, and absolutely none of their part numbers in the manual matched the parts trees. I also managed to thoroughly confuse myself when building the transmission, and ended up doing it 3 times before I got all the right gears in the right places. I was initially unaware that the trans could be mounted forward or backward, and some information about why I'd want it one way vs the other would have been helpful, but I digress.

For electronics, I decided to go with a HW 1080 ESC, the new Holmes Crawlmaster Sport 550 15t, and one of the DS3218 Pro servos that I bought a while back on Aliexpress. Receiver is a HK version of the Radiolink receivers that I paired to my RC3S, although I'll probably move it over to my RC4G so I can run it with my Gen8, which is also on my RC3S.

The kit was built 100% stock except that I used the "hard" Associated shock mounts and a set of Beef Shanks knuckles for some more up front weight. The trans was built with the 12% overdrive.

Tires are Hyrax Predators mounted to Chanquish wheels with Lil Nova 4.5" Comp Cut foams, soft in front and medium in the rear.

Anyway, there's enough info out there about the build, so that's not what this thread is about. I had intended to finish the vehicle and use it, but I ran into a couple body fitment issues that I really want to address before I use it. That's what this thread will be about.

I went with the Proline Jeep Wrangler Unlimited body. My wife has a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited, so this body was loosely based on that, although I decided to take some cosmetic liberties when painting it up. This was the body after I finished painting it:

For bumpers, I went with a couple cheap Ebay bumpers. For the front, I went with the Aluminum shorty bumper. I figured this would work well with the Jeep body:

For the rear bumper, I went with a full width bumper:

I started out with the bumpers installed as far in as possible. Even in this arrangement, it seemed like they stuck out pretty far, especially that front bumper. Setting the body in place confirmed that the bumpers did indeed stick out too far, especially the front. With the body properly positioned so the wheel well openings align with the tires, the front bumper hangs a mile too far out.

One other issue that I encountered with the body is that it's too narrow to work properly with the Enduro rock sliders & receiver box.

These issues will need to be sorted before I position the body permanently. Right now it's sitting on top of the body posts, which are all the way up. The body will come down to a more appropriate position and get trimmed accordingly as the other issues are taken care of.

Lastly, these Hyrax tires look way too big with this body. I wanted the larger tires to help with clearance and approach angles, but even with the body sitting way up high, they look too big and are going to end up rubbing the body everywhere when it articulates.

My next step is to address the bumpers, the rock sliders, and the receiver box. Since I don't run my RCs in water, I'll probably just eliminate the receiver box. To get the sliders to fit better, I'm planning to trim the floor boards back so that I can tuck the rock sliders in more. Because the body seems to taper out as it goes back, the floor boards will get trimmed at an angle to follow the body taper.

For the bumpers, they're going to be a bit more involved. Since they're already as far back as they can be mounted, that means my mounting scheme will need to change. The front bumper has 4 holes in the top of it which I assume are intended to mount a winch, but I can use those holes to mount the bumper directly to the chassis once I make or print a new mount to replace the stock bumper mount. For the rear, I may be OK with it where it is, or I may decide to pull it in also. At the rear, I think the easiest solution will be to relocate the bumper mount farther back between the rails, but I've still got to figure that out.

Overall, I'm very anxious to drive this truck.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 10-15-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

Default Re: Element RC Enduro Sendero Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit build

I haven't had much time to work on the truck, but I did get the new front bumper mount made, but before I show it, I need to get all of my pictures and videos done in the "before" state. Here are the pictures so far:

Chassis:

Beef Tubes brass knuckles:

Associated hard plastic shock towers/panhard mount:

A good view of the bumpers:

The body positioned. The body still needs to be lowered, but you can see how far the front bumper sticks out:

Back bumper isn't bad, but there's still room for improvement:
Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Look forward to seeing how you solve the fitment issues. Sadly, I have found Proline XL tires look too big on everything I have ever put them on. I am always so disappointed because they are such nice tires that are just a wee bit tall and a whole lot wide. I always find the Sendero kit temping when at my LHS, the price point is attractive. I just wish they would have thrown one of those crappy thin lexan bodies in with it...lol. It’s crappy but I like how it looks.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:57 AM   #4

I totally under-estimated how big these tires were. The stock tires on my Gen7 and Gen8 aren't much smaller, and they look fine, but these look like giant balloon animals. The thing is, the next size down is the Class 1 tire, which seems like it would be too small.

Before I buy new tires, I'll throw my Gen8 tires on to get an idea of how that size looks.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

I don't have pics of the bumper tucks or the body fitting yet, but I did finally get to use the truck this weekend and, well, wow! Yesterday my son, my Father-In-Law and I took some crawlers to the indoor course at RC Madness in Enfield CT, and today we brought them to a rocky spot on the Hublein Trail in Simsbury. The Enduro amazed us. It climbs like a goat! This truck consistently climbed lines that the Gen8 and Barrage couldn't do. Most of this credit goes to the better tires and tighter body & bumpers on the Enduro, but the predictable suspension, great steering and overdrive definitely played a role. I couldn't be more pleased with this Enduro kit build.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you guys had a blast, great looking trucks!

All these pics of people in heavy coats, or with frost on the ground... and we hit 87deg F today!

Sheesh...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Glad you had a good run and are happy with your truck Jim! I like the jeep body, but it does tend to make tires look bigger, although I don’t think it looks bad at all.

@durok that’s some crazy weather, send some of that heat back to Vegas. It’s been cold for the last week and been snowed a bit. Need to get back to 60s and 70s.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Like I said on instagram, the Enduro is a solid platform! It's so capable and nimble with little work required.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #9

Yesterday I posted my video on how I pulled in the bumpers and mounted the body. I'll post pics here when I get a chance, but here's the video for now:

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 01-02-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #10

This is a great build and Im doing the same with my Element and hopefully it turns out as nice as yours. My wife owns a 2017 Wrangler JKU and I own a 98 TJ. Thanks for the video for the body fitment, it really helps a newbie like myself get it right.
Milby76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Element RC Enduro Sendero Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender K5 kit or Axial Jeep wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit? Dali Newbie General 3 12-20-2014 05:24 PM
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
Jeep Wrangler G6 kit VS. 2012 Unlimited Rubicon kit theTman Axial SCX-10 1 04-07-2014 03:48 PM
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit Marcogti Axial SCX-10 3 01-15-2014 10:41 AM