Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: New guy building Enduro Kit - introduction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

Default New guy building Enduro Kit - introduction

I have not owned an RC car for more than 30 years; discovering scale RC crawling caught my attention and now, my wallet.

I was shocked at the changes in RC over 30 years - kits seem rare these days - kits and building was the best part, for me. I've jumped in feet first with the Enduro Kit.

So far I have the kit, a brushed motor, 12t pinion, locktite (blue), and tools. Clearly, I have a long ways to go and and lot to learn.

Aside from learning what grease I need for the transmission and diffs, locating a set of RTR castoff wheels and tires is high on my list of desires. No desire to invest in wheels until I know what body I will run - have not even made that decision, yet.
iH8usrnames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: New guy building Enduro Kit - introduction

Welcome and congrats on the new kit!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Welcome and lol, what did you build last in 1989? My last build before this summer was The Frog in 1986 and let just say YOU ARE GONNA LOVE modern batteries! That and how you don’t have to save six weeks to afford AA batteries now as an adult.

I think you bought a really cool and capable tiny truck, and the OD front is a great mechanical advantage. $16-25 can get you pretty dang nice TRX4 take-offs. That’s if you still don’t have any wheels or tires to throw on—-their fitment is fine on the takeoff rims and probably come glued but read for that in the EBay description. I guess I should put a photo here with them on to give you a frame of reference...then you could go as big or as cheap as you wanted later, but that’d give you a chance to go out and tear it up in the meantime. I should have threaded the shock collar down here to lower the COG but didn’t get around to it yet.

We all probably agree that those bumpers don’t work so well, too. Lots of options from cheap to less cheap. Pictured here is front Vanquish front tucked up nicely
Have fun with your new addiction ; )
Attached Images

LincolnofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnofDeath View Post
Welcome and lol, what did you build last in 1989? My last build before this summer was The Frog in 1986 and let just say YOU ARE GONNA LOVE modern batteries! That and how you don’t have to save six weeks to afford AA batteries now as an adult.

I think you bought a really cool and capable tiny truck, and the OD front is a great mechanical advantage. $16-25 can get you pretty dang nice TRX4 take-offs. That’s if you still don’t have any wheels or tires to throw on—-their fitment is fine on the takeoff rims and probably come glued but read for that in the EBay description. I guess I should put a photo here with them on to give you a frame of reference...then you could go as big or as cheap as you wanted later, but that’d give you a chance to go out and tear it up in the meantime. I should have threaded the shock collar down here to lower the COG but didn’t get around to it yet.

We all probably agree that those bumpers don’t work so well, too. Lots of options from cheap to less cheap. Pictured here is front Vanquish front tucked up nicely

Have fun with your new addiction ; )

Nice! I have the Vanquish set on my TRX4. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8usrnames View Post
I have not owned an RC car for more than 30 years; discovering scale RC crawling caught my attention and now, my wallet.

I was shocked at the changes in RC over 30 years - kits seem rare these days - kits and building was the best part, for me. I've jumped in feet first with the Enduro Kit.

So far I have the kit, a brushed motor, 12t pinion, locktite (blue), and tools. Clearly, I have a long ways to go and and lot to learn.

Aside from learning what grease I need for the transmission and diffs, locating a set of RTR castoff wheels and tires is high on my list of desires. No desire to invest in wheels until I know what body I will run - have not even made that decision, yet.

Welcome!! I had a generic version of a Turbo Hopper. It broke quick.
I came back to the hobby in 2017 with a Stampede 4x4. Building a 2wd Slash, that was put on hold for a Trx4 Sport build. Crawling is so much fun.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Welcome and lol, what did you build last in 1989?
More like 1986. I had a Grasshopper and some kind of Audi Quattro.

Quote:
I think you bought a really cool and capable tiny truck, and the OD front is a great mechanical advantage. $16-25 can get you pretty dang nice TRX4 take-offs.
I plan on 12% OD.
I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING aside from what I listed above.

Quote:
We all probably agree that those bumpers don’t work so well, too. Lots of options from cheap to less cheap.
I might make some from brass or copper tubing if I can fund a good source and it appears proper scale. The main reason I got this is the desire to dive deep into scale detail while trying to make most of the bits myself without a 3d printer - see if I can make that happen.

Crawling is the opposite of everything I did not like about RC back then - cars doing a scale speed of 200mph, jumping a scale height of 5 stories - totally ridiculous.

I might have a line on a set of wheels, not sure yet. They would be off a The TRX Land Rover.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

@Aqualungs—- That bumper looks dope on your sport. It’s making me think I want to do ONE MORE BODY on my Bronco and just go for max clearance on all four corners.

@H8Usernames—-what are you gonna do for a body, still looking? I’ll be curious and watching to see what you choose for the rest of your build. If you learn things about building with brass and copper you’ll have me watching reeeeely close. You’ve maybe seen Codyboy’s stuff as examples of serious “can-do” attitude? Antigacho did first time brazing in his apartment last month and posted a bunch in that regard, just in case you need a place to jump in.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
@Aqualungs—- That bumper looks dope on your sport. It’s making me think I want to do ONE MORE BODY on my Bronco and just go for max clearance on all four corners.

@H8Usernames—-what are you gonna do for a body, still looking? I’ll be curious and watching to see what you choose for the rest of your build. If you learn things about building with brass and copper you’ll have me watching reeeeely close. You’ve maybe seen Codyboy’s stuff as examples of serious “can-do” attitude? Antigacho did first time brazing in his apartment last month and posted a bunch in that regard, just in case you need a place to jump in.

It really does have nice clearance and a nice quality bumper that should hold up well. Really glad I went with them and saved money and weight for other things.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:

I want to do something kinda funky and unpolished.

Inspirations are
- beat up flatbed farm truck
- older pickup like ones used used by people trash picking metal to recycle
- beat up African expedition vehicle
- something like a Paris to Dakar vehicle

I am mostly worried about weight on the last one - a lot of material at the top.

Codyboy seems to really have a lot going on, I will have to dig through his stuff tonight.

I have a friend sending me a set of OEM wheels off his Traxxas Defender; I'll use these until I decide on a theme.

My next purchase is a radio and ESC (I'm using a brushed motor). I am leaning toward the Spectral DX5C. Dropping $150 on it kinda hurts, however.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
Slow is the new Fast

60's-90's pickups in lexan are pretty abundant on the market right now, so finding a body for something like a work truck would allow you some choices. There is even a good selection of cab only pieces which would be ideal if you are looking to braze or weld yourself a flatbed.

I came back to RC a few years back after not having paid even a crumb of attention since the mid eighties when, as a kid, I built a few Tamiya kits. Would have been nice to have the runtime of present day batteries back then. Would have been a game changer for me.

Enjoy your build and good luck managing your wallet, even creativity come with a price in this hobby. look forward to seeing what you come up with.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

For better or worse, I just pulled the trigger on a FlySky FS-GT5 combo. I initially wanted the Spektrum DX5C, but at double the price I could not justify it.

Servo, charger, battery, and ESC are the last of core requirements.

ESC will be Hobbywing 1080

Still in the air about the rest; in fact, I know virtually NOTHING about the rest.

Will I need a BEC?
What is a BEC?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
For better or worse, I just pulled the trigger on a FlySky FS-GT5 combo. I initially wanted the Spektrum DX5C, but at double the price I could not justify it.

Servo, charger, battery, and ESC are the last of core requirements.

ESC will be Hobbywing 1080

Still in the air about the rest; in fact, I know virtually NOTHING about the rest.

Will I need a BEC?

What is a BEC?

I have the Turnigy version of the Flysky and the Hobbywing. I am running the 1080 at 7.4 volts with no issues at all and doesn’t need a BEC. I have a Savox 1210SG that runs at 7.4 volts. I’ll look at the manual I think the Turnigy/Flysky handles up to 8.4 volts or something

Old 11-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

All these cheaper options are the one’s I went with and none of them have bitten me yet. Glad to see you grabbed the GT3, I didn’t want to mention that one only because I’ve only used budget Traxxas, Associated and GT3 controllers, and they’ve all seemed perfectly adequate. -some advice I got was just drive and drive and drive as opposed to spending a lot of up front money, which you’re doing better than I did myself, I bet. I AM gonna turn up the servos voltage to 7.4 at Aqualungs’ recommendation, next.

Those DS (DS3218 Pro or other examples...) servos are fully functional. And you’ve almost got everything covered now, right? That Quicrun 1080 with a programmer is perfect, though you could grab the even cheaper 880 (but need a programmer, likely) if you want to leave some money on the table to try 4S later. I’m not recommending that for an initial build, but there’s no real difference between the two that I could tell functionally on 2S or 3S, and you’d leave the door open for messing around with 4S fast trailing or more torque geared down. Sorry if I’m complicating decisions, but it’s hard to not talk about recent experiments.

Let’s see what you did when you’re done.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have the GT5, just make sure the GT3 can handle the voltage.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #15

GR8usrname!

Welcome to the forum and this awesome hobby. Great choice on the 1080 ESC.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

"GR8usrname!"

I have put some Jethro tull on, and continue browsing. i really should put a little in my car MP3 folder too.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Great choice for a kit, and GT5 will do fine.

Welcome!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I want to do something kinda funky and unpolished.

Inspirations are
- beat up flatbed farm truck
- older pickup like ones used used by people trash picking metal to recycle
- beat up African expedition vehicle
- something like a Paris to Dakar vehicle

I am mostly worried about weight on the last one - a lot of material at the top.

Codyboy seems to really have a lot going on, I will have to dig through his stuff tonight.

I have a friend sending me a set of OEM wheels off his Traxxas Defender; I'll use these until I decide on a theme.

My next purchase is a radio and ESC (I'm using a brushed motor). I am leaning toward the Spectral DX5C. Dropping $150 on it kinda hurts, however.
Looks like you are having to much fun already!!!! Welcome to the Enduro group. For starters, when you look at my build, I still have 3 of the metal panhard bar mounts left. If you would like one let me know, I'll send it to you for just the shipping. Kind of a Codyboy's welcome to the site!!!
Ernie
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Dude, you should take Ernie up on his offer. He brazed and grindered those as one-offs for a few of the original Enduro build guys he’s friends with... and they’d stiffen up your steering action in a peerless fashion. And if you don’t want it, get it for me!

Ernie, I saw you might you still work in fire sometimes. And I saw you mention AZ high country for where you found your ‘46. You’re not in Flag are you, or the White Mountains? Growing up our one car was a ‘48 primer red GMC truck, not really so much different than the truck you built recently, and we lived in Flag. I thought it too much of a coincidence to not mention. Sorry to hijack the thread. Lots of love!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dude, you should take Ernie up on his offer. He brazed and grindered those as one-offs for a few of the original Enduro build guys he’s friends with... and they’d stiffen up your steering action in a peerless fashion. And if you don’t want it, get it for me!

Ernie, I saw you might you still work in fire sometimes. And I saw you mention AZ high country for where you found your ‘46. You’re not in Flag are you, or the White Mountains? Growing up our one car was a ‘48 primer red GMC truck, not really so much different than the truck you built recently, and we lived in Flag. I thought it too much of a coincidence to not mention. Sorry to hijack the thread. Lots of love!
Hey Lincoln, Nope, I'm in a little town in Oregon. I retired from the Forest Service here.

I'll make you the same offer, Shipping! Some of the guys I sent them to had to play with them a little to fine tune the fit. And...… some didn't.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

New guy building Enduro Kit - introduction - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enduro Kit, Jim HumboldtEF Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 100 01-01-2021 12:01 PM
New guy introduction and reversing bumper mounts LincolnofDeath Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 10 10-30-2019 11:36 AM
UK New Guy Introduction Drift Modellista Newbie General 9 11-26-2012 10:29 AM
Just another new GUY introduction . 64suicd Newbie General 8 02-07-2012 09:57 AM
New guy introduction Decimati Axial SCX-10 7 07-02-2009 05:27 PM