Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 06:21 AM   #1

Default Gearing

I would like to experiment with some different OD/UD gearing options but I’m not exactly sure how you to calculate the final overdrive percentage. If there is anyone who could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gearing

From the Associated website:

The Stealth(R) X features the ability to adjust the rear drive ratio independently from the front drive across three levels: stock overdrives the front end 5.7%, option 1 provides a one-to-one drive ratio front-to-rear, and option 2 overdrives the front end 11.83%.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
From the Associated website:

The Stealth(R) X features the ability to adjust the rear drive ratio independently from the front drive across three levels: stock overdrives the front end 5.7%, option 1 provides a one-to-one drive ratio front-to-rear, and option 2 overdrives the front end 11.83%.

Thank you for the response but what I was wondering about is the gear sets from Hot Racing that offer different gear ratios. I wasn’t sure if there is a formula or something along those lines that I may be able to use. I apologize if my question doesn’t make sense or is to complicated for a thread like this. I searched the forum but wasn’t able to locate anything.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz82 View Post
Thank you for the response but what I was wondering about is the gear sets from Hot Racing that offer different gear ratios. I wasn’t sure if there is a formula or something along those lines that I may be able to use. I apologize if my question doesn’t make sense or is to complicated for a thread like this. I searched the forum but wasn’t able to locate anything.

I have this same question an I have been doing some looking. As best I can tell you just have to do the math on the % difference between the gears.

For example: If the trans were 1:1 you would have a 28 tooth idler and a 52 tooth drive gear. At the 11 ish % OD/UD you have 26 tooth idler and a 54 tooth drive gear. So stock idler ( 2 vs 12% OD idler (26) is a difference of 7.2% actually. Stock drive (52) vs 12% OD drive (54) is 3.6%. 7.2% + 3.6% = 10.8% overdrive.

Keep in mind that while we say the Element has 'overdrive' in the front what it is actually doing is under-driving the rear. Hot racing gives you the option to both under-drive the rear by even more, and also to overdrive the front a touch to get a really big total overdrive ratio.

Since the Steath-X transmission has plastic drive gears (shame shame) I am planning to do both OD the front and UD the rear for an all metal transmission.

Here is the math for all the hot racing gear sets I can find:
Overdrive (for front)

Hot Racing OD3 is 29/51 (3.5% + 2%) 5.5% vs stock
Hot Racing OD2 is 30/50 (6.7% + 3.9%) 10.6% vs stock

Underdrive (for rear)

Hot Racing UD2 24/56 (14.3% + 7.2%) 21.5% vs stock
Hot Racing UD3 25/55 (10.1% + 5.5%) 15.6% vs stock

Personally I'm planning to go with OD3 and UD3 which should net me around 20% front overdrive. That's about as far as I can justify pushing a rig that is not dedicated to competition.

First post by the way, glad to actually participate rather than lurk.

Last edited by IronOKie; 06-29-2020 at 09:48 PM.
IronOKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronOKie View Post
I have this same question an I have been doing some looking. As best I can tell you just have to do the math on the % difference between the gears.

For example: If the trans were 1:1 you would have a 28 tooth idler and a 52 tooth drive gear. At the 11 ish % OD/UD you have 26 tooth idler and a 54 tooth drive gear. So stock idler ( 2 vs 12% OD idler (26) is a difference of 7.2% actually. Stock drive (52) vs 12% OD drive (54) is 3.6%. 7.2% + 3.6% = 10.8% overdrive.

Keep in mind that while we say the Element has 'overdrive' in the front what it is actually doing is under-driving the rear. Hot racing gives you the option to both under-drive the rear by even more, and also to overdrive the front a touch to get a really big total overdrive ratio.

Since the Steath-X transmission has plastic drive gears (shame shame) I am planning to do both OD the front and UD the rear for an all metal transmission.

Here is the math for all the hot racing gear sets I can find:
Overdrive (for front)

Hot Racing OD3 is 29/51 (3.5% + 2%) 5.5% vs stock
Hot Racing OD2 is 30/50 (6.7% + 3.9%) 10.6% vs stock

Underdrive (for rear)

Hot Racing UD2 24/56 (14.3% + 7.2%) 21.5% vs stock
Hot Racing UD3 25/55 (10.1% + 5.5%) 15.6% vs stock

Personally I'm planning to go with OD3 and UD3 which should net me around 20% front overdrive. That's about as far as I can justify pushing a rig that is not dedicated to competition.

First post by the way, glad to actually participate rather than lurk.

Thank you for the detailed and informative reply. I think I was just over complicating it and not seeing the simple math for what it is.

I had the same intention of trying a combination of OD & UD as you and ended up getting the OD2 & UD2 gear sets from Hot Racing. It is possible I missed something but I wasn’t able to use the OD2 gear set. The gear on the top shaft would not mesh correctly and pushed the top shaft out of its seat in the case. It seems like if you want to OD the front you will have to use the inverse top shaft but then you would lose all UD in the rear. Hopefully I missed something and someone corrects me because even though the increase in the additional UD is a noticeable improvement I would still like to have a little OD in the front.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz82 View Post
Thank you for the detailed and informative reply. I think I was just over complicating it and not seeing the simple math for what it is.

I had the same intention of trying a combination of OD & UD as you and ended up getting the OD2 & UD2 gear sets from Hot Racing. It is possible I missed something but I wasn’t able to use the OD2 gear set. The gear on the top shaft would not mesh correctly and pushed the top shaft out of its seat in the case. It seems like if you want to OD the front you will have to use the inverse top shaft but then you would lose all UD in the rear. Hopefully I missed something and someone corrects me because even though the increase in the additional UD is a noticeable improvement I would still like to have a little OD in the front.

This is good to know. For 20% I could always use the Associated metal gear upgrade and the correct hot racing set and just under-drive the rear @20%. The only reason I was going to do both was to get all metal gears in the transmission. That way I can limit my potential failure points to areas that are easily field serviceable.
IronOKie is offline   Reply With Quote

Gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Turn Motor & Long Gearing vs Low Turn Motor & Short Gearing. Hardcoretam Electronics 11 03-15-2017 11:23 PM
gearing help?? 97koukiman General Crawlers 5 04-08-2011 04:21 PM
87/22 gearing wassaakk Newbie General 5 05-22-2010 07:38 PM
What gearing liftedhorse Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 01-06-2009 01:01 AM
i need some gearing help. Dubs Chops General Crawlers 3 12-24-2008 10:37 AM