Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's IFS Portals Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's IFS Portals Truck

Codyboy, you always have such interesting threads loaded with tech. They are always fun to read and to gain knowledge and inspiration from. You need not in the least worry about over sharing your energy and ideas. I can't speak for everyone but you indeed have a large following for the obvious quality and friendly delivery, keep up the great work.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Yah, I was just curious if there was a bolt on option out there too.
I bet it is already off the drawing board and in production!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Codyboy, you always have such interesting threads loaded with tech. They are always fun to read and to gain knowledge and inspiration from. You need not in the least worry about over sharing your energy and ideas. I can't speak for everyone but you indeed have a large following for the obvious quality and friendly delivery, keep up the great work.
Very kind words, thank you Stormin2u! I try to add as much tech as I can.

Ok someone, I may be a fair fabricator but I hate electronics and programing them. So I need some help. I bought a Holmes Puller Pro 540s Stubby 3300 and a Castle Mamba X waterproof for this build.
First the motor, I thought I wanted a little more speed for this build so went with the 3300, I figured I will need to gear down so 17 tooth enough for fairly decent startup?
Speed control, I really need help with the programming setup for this truck. I have a castle link and plan on using the extra channel for my drag brake.
Thanks for the help!!! I hate electronics so bad I have a couple rigs that would be on the rocks if I wasn't procrastinating so bad. I need one of you gurus closer to me and I would trade fabricating for electronics work!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I agree with others Earnie! Keep posting what you do. A heck of a lot to be learned from any and all of your builds! This one being no exception. Very cool idea and top notch execution. Kudos!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Portal IFS!? 😲

Brilliant!👍🏼

This IFS thing could get very interesting.🤔
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

No such thing as too much Codyboy. I click on every thread you start because I know I'll get to see some mighty fine fabrication and ingenuity. Not sure which I admire more, your ability to scratch-build, or ability to repurpose non-RC items.

Sway bar sure does look like a tight fit. How long are the arms eye-eye?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I agree with others Earnie! Keep posting what you do. A heck of a lot to be learned from any and all of your builds! This one being no exception. Very cool idea and top notch execution. Kudos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Portal IFS!? ��

Brilliant!����

This IFS thing could get very interesting.��
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
No such thing as too much Codyboy. I click on every thread you start because I know I'll get to see some mighty fine fabrication and ingenuity. Not sure which I admire more, your ability to scratch-build, or ability to repurpose non-RC items.

Sway bar sure does look like a tight fit. How long are the arms eye-eye?
Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm normally a pretty positive guy, but life is hampering that a little right now.
Hey meatmonkey, I don't think it is too tight in the area (65mm eye to eye) I was just trying to build it with parts I had. I had a smaller axial set up but I wanted to use the existing holes in the frame, and they work out perfect with The Dlux set up!

Ok, a little update, I was hoping to get a little help with the electronics but I will figure it out.

So a regular bumper mounted in the stock position pushed it out farther than I wanted so started designing my own bumper. A piece of square tube from a accordion type portable light. I cut a pie wedge out of it and bent it over and soldered the edges.

I then cut out a section of the back an bottom so the bumper slid over the frame.

I added a stinger next, a piece of 3/6" stainless rod. I ground it to fit on the top and front of the bumper to have more holding surface.

You can see here how I cut the back and bottom. It bolts to the bumper pin holes in the top of the bumper mount.

All for now guys, thanks for looking!
Ernie
Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Like!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #28
Gold Star Baby!

Looking great Ernie!

When are you planning on programming your electronics? I’ll hop on my castle link and jot down some notes and that could give you a starting point.

Pinions are hard to judge but you should definitely see some good wheel speed out of that motor. The SSD portals don’t have a ton of reduction so I think you have a good jumping off point. My gut tells me you may end up dropping a couple teeth but it’s worth trying with what you have after the esc tune to see how you like it.

The aux cable has been pretty easy to set up for me. What radio are you using? If you have a knob available that’s the best option for drag brake adjustment IMO.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Love following your builds and learning from you....wish I had the expertise of programming....my castle link quit working when I tried to update the software...junked it and haven’t tried to fix it since. I’d help if I could Ernie....

I really wish I could find a hard bodied power wagon....
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Like!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Thanks Brian, and nice chatting with you on the phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Looking great Ernie!

When are you planning on programming your electronics? I’ll hop on my castle link and jot down some notes and that could give you a starting point.

Pinions are hard to judge but you should definitely see some good wheel speed out of that motor. The SSD portals don’t have a ton of reduction so I think you have a good jumping off point. My gut tells me you may end up dropping a couple teeth but it’s worth trying with what you have after the esc tune to see how you like it.

The aux cable has been pretty easy to set up for me. What radio are you using? If you have a knob available that’s the best option for drag brake adjustment IMO.
Thank you young man! So I think I may start with a 16 tooth pinion then and see how that works. It will still be a week or so before I put the esc in.
I have a Noble, and it does have knob so that should work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Love following your builds and learning from you....wish I had the expertise of programming....my castle link quit working when I tried to update the software...junked it and haven’t tried to fix it since. I’d help if I could Ernie....

I really wish I could find a hard bodied power wagon....
Thanks for the kind thoughts and it sounds like it may be a while before we can get together, darn Virous. Us old farts need to be extra careful
Ernie
Old 03-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Nice work on the bumper, looks simple and functional! I really need to get some brazing gear, I've already got the tubing.

If you need any help setting up the ESC I'd be happy to help.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Ok, a little update, SSD portal weights for the front. They are a nice design!

Now some info on the front springs. I found that any of the old associated springs will work on these shock, any of the kit shocks from the pre-big bore RC10 B4.2 and B4.2Ts.
So I went with a rear silver actually left over from my RC-10 days. I also have a set of blue buggy sears that are a little stiffer than the silver but still softer than the IFS kit shocks.

Thanks for looking,
Ernie
Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #33
RCC Addict

This thing looks awesome Ernie! Hope you can get some electronics hooked up in this thing soon! I wanna see it out on the rocks!!! Really digging that bumper! I need to build a front and rear like that for the Dingo. I wish I knew something about programming that stuff, but so far I only have experience with brushed motors. Keep up the great work! You're always an inspiration!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Yah, I was just curious if there was a bolt on option out there too.
I think a sway bar is either coming, or it's using one of their existing Associated parts.

I think Brad Geck, or maybe the Element instagram account showed sway bars mounted onto the IFS. So it's likely coming down the pipe.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
This thing looks awesome Ernie! Hope you can get some electronics hooked up in this thing soon! I wanna see it out on the rocks!!! Really digging that bumper! I need to build a front and rear like that for the Dingo. I wish I knew something about programming that stuff, but so far I only have experience with brushed motors. Keep up the great work! You're always an inspiration!!!
Thanks Justin, I will post a few photos of it painted and mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I think a sway bar is either coming, or it's using one of their existing Associated parts.

I think Brad Geck, or maybe the Element instagram account showed sway bars mounted onto the IFS. So it's likely coming down the pipe.
I was pretty sure it would be a add on from them soon!
Ernie

Just a little update on the front bumper.

A bit of a side view, I should have a pretty good approach angle.

A upside down view showing the 3mm brass inserts I used so I could use through and through screws, makes it a whole lot stronger!

I'll post up the cage and rear bumper build tomorrow!
Thanks for looking.
Ernie
Old 04-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Why would you want a sway bar on the front?
jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
Same as a rear, reduce body roll. Not sure id put one on IFS crawler but AE might be doing it for some extra scale factor as well.

This is another Epic build Ernie. Love all your scratch building skills and techniques then mating them to these kits. SUPER clean and awesome
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Same as a rear, reduce body roll. Not sure id put one on IFS crawler but AE might be doing it for some extra scale factor as well.

This is another Epic build Ernie. Love all your scratch building skills and techniques then mating them to these kits. SUPER clean and awesome
Thanks for the kind words Josh!

A little update, I decided to build a rear cage and want to keep it simple and try to key on COG. First I removed the inside of the bed. Then I started on a bumper design, as that is going to be how I attach the cage to the rear.

[IMG]https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj498/ledspots/Enduro/02-
IMG_8983.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going to drill through and through holes in square tubing and wanted to make sure my press table is level!

Testing for fitment.

To keep everything square I attached threaded tabs to the front/bottom of the cage and screwed it to the slider mounts. I did this so I can remove the cage once I solder it to the rear bumper. When ever I can I solder parts in place, so I use a wet towel to protect the chassis parts!

A start on design.

I still need to add some bracing but getting there. The cage its self is made with 3/16" and 1/8" stainless tubing.
Thanks for looking, and bear with me because of some health issues and treatment I just don't feel like being in my shop as much as before. But it will get better soon!!!
Ernie
Old 04-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Good to see you got some tinker time in Ernie, cage looks nice
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Your a weapon Ernie, love this element build.
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy's IFS Portals Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modded Tundra Element IFS w/portals Rock solid Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 29 11-28-2023 10:51 AM
Ifs foff truck 450matt Formula Offroad 4 12-07-2014 07:57 AM
portals for scale or a comp truck? d-fly General Crawlers 0 06-21-2008 10:09 PM