Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: JDM74's Next misadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default JDM74's Next misadventure

So, since the IFS kit came out for the Enduro I have been intrigued and since I have no will power when it comes to tiny trucks, this happened:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Now I'm not the super talented fabricator that there seems to be no shortage of on this site, but I like to think I do pretty clean builds and who doesn't like pictures anyway? So Stay tuned for updates as I go down the next rabbit hole of tiny truck building....
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 04:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: JDM74's Next misadventure

Made some minor progress today. Got the tranny and rear axle together.

Now for a couple questions. I'm going to try to make this truck's suspension work like a 1:1 so I'm going to try 10 weight shock oil and spring it very soft. I want the suspension to actually work to absorb bumps at speed. Does anybody have any experience with getting the IFS to cycle well at speed or is everybody just crawling with this thing at this point?

Also, I am going to start with a old Axial 27T motor on 3s and maybe a slightly larger pinion than suggested. Any opinions on that?

Last question, I have started assembling shocks (which I absolutely hate btw). How are you guys holding the shock shafts while you screw on the end? I have tried wrapping the shaft in a towel and holding with needle nose pliers but even that isn't working. I have a set of shock pliers on order from Amain but they won't be here until Thursday.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well, I got the shocks together using a rag and a pair of 6" visegrips. Worked like a charm with no marring. Also finished cutting out the body:

Old 03-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Does anybody have any experience with getting the IFS to cycle well at speed or is everybody just crawling with this thing at this point?
The kit springs are pretty soft all around, and the IFS kit comes with some much harder springs...so when the truck is done it's a little out of balance imo.

I went with softer springs up front, about 1/2 way between the kit springs and the much harder IFS springs. Seems to be working well. Nothing fancy, I found them in my parts stash and they happened to fit. Could try the kit springs up front, though they are really soft. Might work out well for what you are doing though.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info on the shocks!

More progress. I'm still waiting on my servo to show up...

Old 03-29-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

You have to either reduce the size with software before you upload them, or take them at a lower resolution. There's an option to reduce the resolution on Android phones under the camera advanced settings. If you're using an iPhone I can't help you because I've never owned anything from that scamming ripoff company.
SledgehogRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Pic rules are 1200 x1200 pixels. These are aboutt 1000 wide. I don’t know what to tell you.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #8

Awesome looking build, Jason! I love Raptors so I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgehogRC View Post
You have to either reduce the size with software before you upload them, or take them at a lower resolution. There's an option to reduce the resolution on Android phones under the camera advanced settings. If you're using an iPhone I can't help you because I've never owned anything from that scamming ripoff company.
All of the photos on this thread are 1024 so they are fine. The maximum, allowable image on this forum is 1200 x 1200. If you are seeing them larger than that maybe you are using equipment from a scamming ripoff company! But seriously, how large are they appearing for you?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well, it's a roller at least! Finally got my servo in today so I could finish up the IFS module and was able to get everything else together. Here are some pics with the body mocked up. What do you guys think? I don't think I want to go bigger than a 4.3ish tire otherwise it gets too monster truck looking. I got the body up just high enough so if I want to put an after market bumper on it, I can get it under the grill.

4.09 Pit bulls

4.3 proline TSL's

Old 03-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #10

That's awesome. I like the beefier tires on a truck like the Raptor, but the A/T Pitbulls look good too.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's awesome. I like the beefier tires on a truck like the Raptor, but the A/T Pitbulls look good too.
I do too but when I went out to the Mint 400 there were Raptors everywhere and nobody was running M/T's. Probably because there is no mud in the desert. I check out what tires are available in a 4.3ish size. I have some Chinese 2.2's on the way that I am going to stretch some 1.9's on to to see how they look. They are pretty narrow at 25 mm so it might just work. We will see. Stay tuned...
Old 03-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

So I've figured out 4.3x" tires are going to be the sweet spot with this rig. So I've narrowed it down to a couple choices:

or:

If you have another choice of tire in 4.3" you know of, post it up! I'm still open to suggestions.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well, the BFG has been the OEM tire on a lot of Ford Raptors, so I kind of think you have to go that way.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:36 PM   #14

I like the look of both treads. I only own the Berserker myself. Either one will look great. I think the BFG's are narrower so that may help you determine which way you want to go.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Well, the BFG has been the OEM tire on a lot of Ford Raptors, so I kind of think you have to go that way.
While I 100% agree with you if this was a stock build, because of the stance and the aftermarket bumpers that will be on this I think I need something with a more aggressive tread pattern. I wish they made a KM3 that was 4.3 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I like the look of both treads. I only own the Berserker myself. Either one will look great. I think the BFG's are narrower so that may help you determine which way you want to go.
I think unless somebody posts something else up that I like, the Berserker is going to win.

And I did the deed. Holes are punched and it is on its way to paint. Final stance:

Old 03-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looking cool so far. It sounds like your intent is to take this in a kinda Pre-Runner direction?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Looking cool so far. It sounds like your intent is to take this in a kinda Pre-Runner direction?

That's the idea. I'm hoping I can make the bumpers I am envisioning.

I have this for after the pre-running, lol:

Last edited by JDM74; 03-31-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Nice! I just sold the custom Baja Rey I did. Has me thinking about picking up another one.

Are you looking to do pre-runner style bumpers? I always thought the Axial 10.2 Trail Honcho front bumper had a pre-runner'esque look to it.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Nice! I just sold the custom Baja Rey I did. Has me thinking about picking up another one.

Are you looking to do pre-runner style bumpers? I always thought the Axial 10.2 Trail Honcho front bumper had a pre-runner'esque look to it.

Yeah, something like this in the front. The Raptor frontend is pretty unique so finding something that will fit like I want is going to be hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I’m running the 4.3 bfg by proline on my new bright raptor and they’re a perfect fit with trimmed fenders for the desert truck look, so I imagine they’d be perfect with the larger opening of that body and are oem accurate
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote

JDM74's Next misadventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JDm74's Blazer JDM74 Traxxas TRX-4 79 06-06-2020 08:15 AM