Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Aluminum Skid plate options ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

Default Aluminum Skid plate options ?

Hello Guys...

Looking into taking the last step of making the frame more rigid.
Aluminum center skid plate...

But what's my options ?

Jazrider and Hobby Details both do one. Good price, but looks to have many snagging points.
Hot Racing also does one. Cost almost the double, but looks to be alot more smooth designed.

Or is it a total waste when i got alloy bracing every other possible place on the rig ?
BrickBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Aluminum Skid plate options ?

I think having an absolutely stiff chassis is absolutely a waste and will likely never perform in a manner in which we mortals can feel the difference. In the early days of crawlers the SCX10 was as stiff as a wet noodle and well it actually performed just fine. Now people are getting pickier and pickier about crawlers which isnt necessarily a bad thing but I think seeking out a super stiff chassis offers very little return on investment.

Plastic is favored for skids and axles because plastic just slides better than metal.

I'll also add the companies that make these kind of alloy parts are known for using very low strength materials and I look forward to the day us enthusiasts stop supporting these guys and their uninspired designs.

plastic bracing can also go a long way without adding too much weight. Shock towers can be braced and a brace can be put behind the skid (where the front battery mount would fit if put in back).

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-21-2020 at 04:28 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I think having an absolutely stiff chassis is absolutely a waste and will likely never perform in a manner in which we mortals can feel the difference. In the early days of crawlers the SCX10 was as stiff as a wet noodle and well it actually performed just fine. Now people are getting pickier and pickier about crawlers which isnt necessarily a bad thing but I think seeking out a super stiff chassis offers very little return on investment.

Plastic is favored for skids and axles because plastic just slides better than metal.

I'll also add the companies that make these kind of alloy parts are known for using very low strength materials and I look forward to the day us enthusiasts stop supporting these guys and their uninspired designs.

plastic bracing can also go a long way without adding too much weight. Shock towers can be braced and a brace can be put behind the skid (where the front battery mount would fit if put in back).
+1
Rinanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here's my shock tower brace if you've got access to a printer. I didn't set out to make this, I just happened to have this design within a body mount I had already worked up.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4490390
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #5

Well, that pretty much settles that question then . I allready got a battery tray brace sitting in the back position. Nice place to put the servo vinch controller..
BrickBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBait View Post
Well, that pretty much settles that question then . I already got a battery tray brace sitting in the back position. Nice place to put the servo vinch controller..
My BOM had very noodly shock towers so I cobbled together something using 3mm all-thread and cap nuts which stiffened things up nicely. I think there's enuf room on the Venture to mount the brace directly to the shock tower. Not nearly as elegant a solution as Casey's, but it'll get the job done for pennies.

JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote

Aluminum Skid plate options ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum skid plate 62PYRO Axial Capra 21 12-29-2019 02:21 PM
wraith skid plate options 2004DE_JR Axial Wraith 15 09-20-2018 04:03 PM
aluminum skid plate for scx10? warren Axial SCX-10 12 09-19-2013 09:15 PM
Aluminum skid plate johnnyh66 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 11-16-2010 01:14 PM