Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion

The DSM has been working really well. Don’t have to worry about keeping tension on the line or recalling it out. It has been helping take on the class 2 courses. Really happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Made it to one of the other local cities today for a comp. They weren’t running class one, so ended up running in class 2.

Some updates on the suspension load out:
- Front Shocks: 30wt Oil with TRX-4 Blue Springs
- Rear Shocks: 50wt Oil with Enduro Grey Springs
- Added the optional overdrive gears.

The front and rear ends now have about a tire worth of flex now. Also the rear end isn’t hoping or unloading like it was before. Also the front is staying planted better while climbing.

Other Updates:
- Picked up a Proline Late Model Crawler Interior
- Changing some of the chassis parts to hard versions.
- New bumpers should show up this week.

I am also planning on getting the Knights Custom IFS kit as well. It is supposed to raise the diff up and a smaller front skid. Not sure if it changes the caster angle yet.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

The new bumpers showed up today! Decided to get my new clear body all cut out to night.

The general look is going to change from the previous look. I am loosely basing the new look on the Z71 Extreme Concept.

As for how the parts fit it was a mixed bag to be honest. The rear bumper is what I wanted. The mounts fit perfectly as well. The front bumper needs some changes though. It was mounted to high for the body. I should also be able to pull the bumper in some more as well.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Nice looking bumpers!

Can't wait to see the body painted!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice looking bumpers!

Can't wait to see the body painted!

Thanks! The body is going to stay clear for a bit, as I am using it for measurements. Probably be ready to paint in October. Turns out the previous body was actually tweaked a bit.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Default Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion

Ended getting a Proline Latemodel interior while I was in Omaha the other day. It is based on a Raptor interior and needed a lot of trimming to fit in the cab. What do you guys think? (Kinda hard to see due to clear lexan).

The seats line up with the doors pretty good. I might actually use this interior, even though it is left hand drive. (Xtreme Concept is actually right hand drive).

Last edited by Phyro; 09-08-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:40 AM   #27
Go Buckeyes!

It looks like it lines up good! Looks like the dash lines up well with the windshield too! Should look great once it is painted!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Well things have changed with the current build. This body is going to show up again, with miminal bumpers as it will be my Class 2 crawler. The body is just a bit to funky in the proportions for a Class 1 crawler. Look for the body to show up after Christmas.

As for this chassis, I found a Proline Metric for cheaper than normal at the local hobby store. The headlight, taillight, grill area, and cab look close enough to start the build. It will need a non Tacoma grill, a new hood, and some different fender flares. I think will serve my purposes quite well.

B-MOW71 inspired me to take a crack at a generic body with his IFS Trailwalker. Love how the few changes make it look like a Chevy truck.

Build is likely to be slow moving, and won't really pick up until the 12th to be honest. Last major meet of the year in my area is on the 11th.

Here is a bit of teaser of what is come though:

(let me know if the picture isn't showing)

The bumper is inspired by the Colorado Xtreme concept. I did move the d-ring mounts and added a grill guard to the design. There are locations for a Warn fair lead, 2" light bar, 2 5mm LEDs, and 2 D-Rings.

Let me know what you think.

I do have a question, has anyone done leaf springs on an Enduro?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #29
Go Buckeyes!

That is a great looking bumper! I really like the design! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

The Proline Metric body is a body that I've had my eye on but haven't picked one up yet. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Hey thanks for the shout-out! The Trailwalker body is another one of those generic bodies that take just a little paint to make them look great!
Old 10-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Well I did find a bumper that would actually fit the Proline Colorado ZR2. The RC4WD Marlin Crawler bumpers are very close in the dimension side on paper.

LHS’s website is showing $10, so might just order it. I’ll post a picture when it shows up.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Hello all,

The month of October has been interesting. Last weekend was my birthday, and so the Enduro got some goodies.

Pictured below are some of the new hard plastic parts that will be going onto the truck. Also shown are new “brake rotors”, also known as SSD hubs. They are a SLW hub, so they are compatible with Vanquish rims.

Some might consider the next group of components to be a downgrade. I have specific plan though with these parts. I picked up a Spektrum Firma 40A ESC/receiver combo and a HH Crawlmaster Sport 13T motor. The removed Tekin system will headed to a TRX4 sport build.

Here is why I chose this system.

As you can see this little package goes in the “engine bay” really nicely. It will free up the interior area for a full depth interior when you hide the motor and transmission in the trans tunnel/backseat.

Another update on the 3D printing, I have finished a new battery tray and a rear shock relocation kit.

Should be a lot of fun over the next few weeks!

Old 10-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Liking the build. Looking forward to more progress.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I started the tear down of the Enduro. I ended up replacing all the center braces with the hard (grey) versions. I added a second battery brace to the rear. High clearance links will hit the brace if you are using them.

Also seen in the picture is the kinetic winch routing. Currently I have it going down the left side. The front is using the included step screw, and the rear uses the pulley attached to the bumper.

While I was reassembling the front steering, I decided to flip the mounting of the servo. The servo is now mounting from the top instead of the bottom. The arm clears well in this configuration. It also results in about 14mm of clearance between the servo drag link and the diff case.

Here is what it looks like with the raised servo.

Well I think I will be able to raise the diff. How far will really depend on the CVAs and where the binding points are.

The rest of the week will be changing the rest of the parts out and flipping the trans back to the stock position. And at the very end of the week or the beginning of next week, some custom parts will be showing up.

Should be fun!!

Old 10-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Well some good news and bad news tonight. I’ll start with the good. My 3D printed parts will be here tomorrow, a custom battery tray and rear shock relocation kit.

I finally figured out why the ZR2 body looked so weird to me. For some reason I thought it was a quad cab/short box. It is an extended cab/long box with a bobbed bed. I think I’ll save the Metric for a different rig.

Now time for the bad. I stripped a bolt head on a transmission outdrive. I was attempting to swap the transmission to the stock orientation. Here is why:

I am hoping to hide most of the spur gear in the back of the seats and center console. I want to make as much of a full interior as I can.

Well next update should be custom parts and electronics install.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Well some good news and bad news tonight. I’ll start with the good. My 3D printed parts will be here tomorrow, a custom battery tray and rear shock relocation kit.

I finally figured out why the ZR2 body looked so weird to me. For some reason I thought it was a quad cab/short box. It is an extended cab/long box with a bobbed bed. I think I’ll save the Metric for a different rig.

Now time for the bad. I stripped a bolt head on a transmission outdrive. I was attempting to swap the transmission to the stock orientation. Here is why:

I am hoping to hide most of the spur gear in the back of the seats and center console. I want to make as much of a full interior as I can.

Well next update should be custom parts and electronics install.

I thought it looked a little weird aswell, now I know why! A 1:1 looks WAY better as a 4 door short bed.

That sucks that you stripped that screw. Do you need to get it out? If so try using the rubber band method. I’ve even used a small piece of foam, lmao

Looking forward to seeing the interior!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I thought it looked a little weird aswell, now I know why! A 1:1 looks WAY better as a 4 door short bed.

That sucks that you stripped that screw. Do you need to get it out? If so try using the rubber band method. I’ve even used a small piece of foam, lmao

Looking forward to seeing the interior!

I’ll give the rubber band trick a try. Thanks for the suggestion. I do know what happened though. I used too much thread lock and a MIP driver. The bolt head was the weakest link here .

I also agree on the 4 door short bed looking better. I do have a plan for this version though.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’ll give the rubber band trick a try. Thanks for the suggestion. I do know what happened though. I used too much thread lock and a MIP driver. The bolt head was the weakest link here .

I also agree on the 4 door short bed looking better. I do have a plan for this version though.

Can’t wait to see it!

Old 10-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Well some of the 3D printed parts came in.

This first one is a new battery tray. It fits the skinny Spektrum flight batteries. Turned out really good.

The second is this runner:

This is the shock relocation kit. The larger piece is the shock mount that will replace the back brace. The upper parts are for the rear end. I’ll show more during the week.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Well I got the shock relocation kit installed. I will need to do a V2 version though. Here is a picture of it installed onto the truck:

The lower brackets need to be thickened and the pivot point needs to be brought in. Also, didn’t realize the rear bumper would be so close.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I got the shock relocation kit installed. I will need to do a V2 version though. Here is a picture of it installed onto the truck:

The lower brackets need to be thickened and the pivot point needs to be brought in. Also, didn’t realize the rear bumper would be so close.

What do you guys think?

I think thicken the brackets and leave it

Does this “add” more travel/make it softer, or is it just for clearance purposes?

Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ifs Colorado Dirt Runner Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 20 05-03-2020 04:31 PM
Proline Colorado ZR2 max wheel/tire size Jettcity1 Axial SCX10 II 12 04-01-2019 11:04 AM
Anyone do a Proline Colorado ZR2 build yet Jettcity1 Axial SCX10 II 1 02-07-2019 01:25 PM
Ifs conversion questions? SctraX10 Axial SCX-10 2 11-21-2016 04:03 PM