Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion

Hi All,

So I got bit by the crawler bug. I started with an SCX24, which was my first RC in about 5 years. Never had a crawler before that, and well decided to get a 1/10th scale. Ended seeing a Colorado ZR2 body, and decided to go scale with the Enduro IFS kit.

The parts list started as the following:
- Enduro Builder's Kit
- IFS Conversion Kit
- Enduro Inner Fenders
- Pro-Line Colorado ZR2
- Pro-Line Impulse 1.9 Bead Lock Wheels
- RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 4.19" OD

Electronics:
- Tekin RX4 ESC

- Tekin Roc412HD 3100Kv Motor

- Savox SW-1210SG Servo
- Spektrum DSMR510 Receiver
- Spektrum 3S 5000mah 30C Battery

Decided that I wanted to build the truck up a bit like Hall's ZR2 Race Truck.

And here is the painted body, I did end up removing the bumper and going with some modified VS410 plastic bumpers for the time being.
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion

So trying to find a workable bumper hasn't been fun, as the body is a bit on the narrow side. I decided to build one in Fusion 360. Here is a screen shot of the bumper so far.

The bumper is a three piece design with replaceable stinger and mount.

Some other notes on bumpers and IFS system, so far the 2 bumper that I have tried needed some modification to use the shortest overhang holes. The bell cranks were running into the bumper mounts and binding up the steering.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I did a similar build a few months ago and used the ProLine 4Runner body. Ended up using the Trailwalker bumper and it was a nice match for that body.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Is the Trailwalker bumper a bit on the narrower side? Also how long is it from the front to the rear? It honestly looks like it could work.

Ended up running the truck on the local rock courses tonight. Ended up running the yellows in the rear this time, but will likely go back to the greys, and maybe try some heavier oil in the rear. Found out the truck doesn't like sidehilling at all, kept unloading the rear and flipping.

Been trying to find a sway bar kit that might work on the truck. My LHS shows that they have the Reefs sway bar kit for the Bomber/Yeti in stock, but they misplaced it. They are going to give me a call when they find it.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here is a pic for reference. The depth of the bumper itself is 3/4”.

A little on the narrow side. Probably needs another 1/4” in total width but overall a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That would be a lot closer than the bumpers that I currently have. The ZR2 body is about 7.25 to 7.5 wide. Might have to order that set.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #7

Welcome to the site!

Nice work on the Colorado!

Also, congrats on getting Google Photos embed to work. I can also zoom in on the photo which isn't something I've seen before.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. The Google embed took a bit of fiddling with to get it going correctly. You do need to set the photo to public, and then open in a new window. Then the : menu has an embed option, then just copy and past.

So, I got a call on Saturday morning from the LHS, and they figured out were the sway bar got put. So now the Colorado got a new sway bar. Pulling into the shop for the new sway bar.

I had to move the shocks back to the standard locations on the axle. I also had to find the other spacers. The sway bar is going through the lower rear brace holes.

So far I am liking the sway bar and the truck.

Last edited by Phyro; 07-21-2020 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Too many iframes lol
Old 07-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #9

See now that last photo just shows a Google Drive - You need access window.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Should be fixed now. Missed it while updating permissions on the files.
Edit: never mind just broke it I think.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Should be fixed now. Missed it while updating permissions on the files.
Edit: never mind just broke it I think.
Yes, I can see the photo now. Thank you for fix it.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So decided to by some new wheels for the truck. Ended up going with Vanquish Method 310 Race rims. Also ended up getting some SSD locking hubs to replace the wheel nuts.

To be honest I haven't been nice to the body lol. Probably going to get another body soon.

Progress is moving on the bumper design. I got a front bumper design that I am happy with, and will be working on the rear bumper this weekend. Hoping to send the parts off this weekend.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Been a bit busy with work the last few weeks. I did get some modeling work, and this bumper is headed to the printer. Going to get it made out of PA12 Black. Here are some views of the bumper.

Rear Quarter View

Front View

Top View

Side View
Old 08-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have also been working on the truck some as well. I ended up adding the SSD hubs on the front, and weights on the rear of the truck. Also got a Reefs triple 4 for the steering now as well.

As for appearance items, I did pickup the Trailwalker front bumper, and Trailrunner rock rails. The 'Walker bumper is just about as wide as this body, but is off the front fenders a bit. The 'Runner rock rails are the perfect size for the body. They start at the front door and stop right at the bed!

I'll have some more pics of the truck out on the rocks this weekend. Headed to a new area for a meet.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The meet was a lot of fun. Really put the truck to the test. Ended up with a smaller battery for the truck. Got a Spektrum 2200mah 3S for an airplane. It did okay in the long battery tray, but decided to design a new one though. I’ll have links to it once the first one is made.

Also I got a kinetic winch from DSM for the truck as well. I’ll get some pictures up tomorrow on how the installation went. Works really well and helped on a couple of though spots.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Was a really busy week. I did get the bumper designs sent off. Going to be working on a snorkel and mirrors this week.

I am going to post kinetic winch setup soon. Been really liking the winch so far.

Also a replacement body just showed up this weekend as well. Going to change the paint scheme just a bit. Been playing a game called Redout, and seen a really neat scheme on there.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #17

Truck looks good! How does it handle at speed?
nomudpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

At first, it was a mess to be honest. Drag brake was turned all the way up on the ESC. Also the truck wanted to roll over while doing any sort of turn at speed. Turns out the shocks weren’t in the right location.

Now the truck is performing really well on the rocks for me. Also it doesn’t roll so bad trail riding now.

I did take the sway bar off. I am going to save it for a pre-runner build later on.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well I said I would post up the DSM Kinetic winch routing this weekend. Here it is with the flipped tranny layout.

The routing isn’t causing issues with the steering or the rear suspension. The installation took some trial and error, but was fairly straight forward.

I have used it in a comp already, and it helped. I was able to get through the class 2.5 course on the 4.19s with it.

Other changes since last time has been a Spektrum 2200mah 3S battery and Traxxas TRX4 blue springs in the front. Couldn’t run the springs with a 5000mah 3S battery, just a bit to much weight on the front for them. Doesn’t feel too bad now though.

I’ll be testing the setup at the local crawling spot tomorrow morning before the weekend’s comp.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
Go Buckeyes!

Nice looking IFS Colorado!👍

The VP 310 wheels look great on there! They are nice wheels.

Nice to see you got the DSM Kinetic to work on there! I’m planing on installing one on mine eventually.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyro's Colorado ZR2 - IFS Conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ifs Colorado Dirt Runner Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 20 05-03-2020 04:31 PM
Proline Colorado ZR2 max wheel/tire size Jettcity1 Axial SCX10 II 12 04-01-2019 11:04 AM
Anyone do a Proline Colorado ZR2 build yet Jettcity1 Axial SCX10 II 1 02-07-2019 01:25 PM
Ifs conversion questions? SctraX10 Axial SCX-10 2 11-21-2016 04:03 PM