Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Element IFS Steering problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Element IFS Steering problem

Hello,

Recently I installed IFS, it is very unique and I kind of like it.
However I have an issue with steering. When I turn fully, system has issues with returning wheels to the middle when releasing the steering wheel. Sometimes it keeps the wheels turned even if I turn the steering wheels on the other side (wheels are stuck).
I have strong 30kg servo.
Do you have same issue with IFS and have you been able to overcome it somehow?

Thank you very much for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kejmildoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Element IFS Steering problem

Sounds like something is binding.

With the servo link not attached, the steering should be very loose, with no resistance through out its range of travel. Is your truck this way?

If your steering is nice and loose, then the second thing to check would be the servo. Make sure it travels full range and back to center with no load on it. If it does, put a little bit of tension on the servo and cycle it again, to see if it binds anywhere.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Also make sure your end points are adjusted and that you aren't turning it past the optimal maximum angle.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Also make sure your end points are adjusted and that you aren't turning it past the optimal maximum angle.

Soze,
I adjusted my end points on the controller.
But what is the optimal maximal angle?
I think there is not optimal angle when servo must pull the wheels from maximum angle back.
If I hold the wheels in maximum range of motion, servo doesn’t have power to pull back to the middle.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I haven't run into this issue. I also dont think the bell crank can be overcentered so I'm a bit lost as to how this is happening.

Have you double checked that everything was put together correct? I would go over the steering linkage and unhook the servo to see if you can steer manually without any binding. Also make sure your servo is healthy.

What voltage is your servo getting, and does it have a external BEC powering it? If its powered by the ESC which one? If your servo isnt getting enough volts or amps it may be leaving some torque on the table.

Also this is a big one, when it gets stuck/stalls is this on flat ground? pointed downhill up against rocks?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Do you have another receiver you can try?

Does the servo center itself when not hooked up to the steering linkage?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I haven't run into this issue. I also dont think the bell crank can be overcentered so I'm a bit lost as to how this is happening.

Have you double checked that everything was put together correct? I would go over the steering linkage and unhook the servo to see if you can steer manually without any binding. Also make sure your servo is healthy.

What voltage is your servo getting, and does it have a external BEC powering it? If its powered by the ESC which one? If your servo isnt getting enough volts or amps it may be leaving some torque on the table.

Also this is a big one, when it gets stuck/stalls is this on flat ground? pointed downhill up against rocks?

This. Definitely sounds like a servo related issue. What esc and servo are you running? Either there is a voltage issue or the servo itself is crapping out.

jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Sounds like something is binding.

With the servo link not attached, the steering should be very loose, with no resistance through out its range of travel. Is your truck this way?

If your steering is nice and loose, then the second thing to check would be the servo. Make sure it travels full range and back to center with no load on it. If it does, put a little bit of tension on the servo and cycle it again, to see if it binds anywhere.
Yes, if my servo link is not attached, the steering is very loose and without resistance.
My servo travels full range and back to center without issue (if not attached).
What does it mean "cycle the servo again"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

I will double check the assembly instructions tomorrow. But in the past I was pretty good with LEGO so I believe in my hands
Manual steering without attached servo is loose and I feel no binding.
Not sure how to check if my servo is healthy.
Not sure how to measure the voltage what my servo is getting during the load.
I am using Hobbywing 1080 and I set 7,4V output. No external BEC.
It gets stuck on flat surface. In downhill pointing down would be understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Do you have another receiver you can try?

Does the servo center itself when not hooked up to the steering linkage?
I still have original electronics from the RTR set, but I think Hobbywing 1080 is better.
Yes the servo centers itself when not hooked up to the linkage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason02ws6 View Post
This. Definitely sounds like a servo related issue. What esc and servo are you running? Either there is a voltage issue or the servo itself is crapping out.

I use Hobbywing 1080. Servo is branded by local shop, but tested in several cars and ding well. Of course mine can be defective but I have it for 2 months only.

Tomorrow I will try the original servo and double check the assembly manual.
Do you guys run the original servo with IFS or you bought some stronger?
And you do not have similar issues as I do? Meaning steering works good?
Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

I’ve ran into a very similar issue and it was a bad receiver in my case, it was easy to tell since it happened when I switched radios and went away right after changing to another receiver. Your HW1080 is the esc, not the receive FYI. The receiver is part of the radio system and what your electronics plug into. Could also try plugging your servo into channel two on the receiver and see if it returns to center after using the trigger on your remote to steer.

However it could be a defective servo as well, the IFS needs more torque than a solid axle truck to turn the wheels. A lot of those 25 and 30kg servos aren’t as strong as advertised and that could have something to do with it. Did you use that same servo in this IFS truck in another truck without issue?
Old 07-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejmildoh View Post
Not sure how to check if my servo is healthy.
Not sure how to measure the voltage what my servo is getting during the load.
I am using Hobbywing 1080 and I set 7,4V output. No external BEC.

There are servo testers but I would probably just pull the servo out and with the horn installed turn and hold onto the arm to add some resistance. Make sure its not grinding gears while you do this and that it works as expected (turns when you turn and centers when you let off)

The Hobbywing 1080 only has a 3 amp BEC so if your servo is very power hungry that might not be enough, but I think thats less likely to be your problem. Setting the HW 1080 to 7.4v is all I was after, not actually putting a tester on it.

I think Topher's on to something

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-20-2020 at 03:55 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I’ve ran into a very similar issue and it was a bad receiver in my case, it was easy to tell since it happened when I switched radios and went away right after changing to another receiver. Your HW1080 is the esc, not the receive FYI. The receiver is part of the radio system and what your electronics plug into. Could also try plugging your servo into channel two on the receiver and see if it returns to center after using the trigger on your remote to steer.

However it could be a defective servo as well, the IFS needs more torque than a solid axle truck to turn the wheels. A lot of those 25 and 30kg servos aren’t as strong as advertised and that could have something to do with it. Did you use that same servo in this IFS truck in another truck without issue?
Yes you are correct.
I recently switched to Flysky Noble radio and it comes with receivers (2). I will try the second one and let you know. I didn`t think the defect could be with receiver also.
I used this same servo with solid axle on this same truck. I had issues with steering as well but there was lot of movement on steering links. I hoped IFS will solve this free movement issue.
But as you guys are sharing your knowledge, I should really check the strength of my servo. You are correct that these so called 25-30kg servos are not as strong as they say. What servo do you use with your IFS truck?
Old 07-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Yes you are correct.
I recently switched to Flysky Noble radio and it comes with receivers (2). I will try the second one and let you know. I didn`t think the defect could be with receiver also.
I used this same servo with solid axle on this same truck. I had issues with steering as well but there was lot of movement on steering links. I hoped IFS will solve this free movement issue.
But as you guys are sharing your knowledge, I should really check the strength of my servo. You are correct that these so called 25-30kg servos are not as strong as they say. What servo do you use with your IFS truck?
I think I have some jx46kg servo or something similar in there. I don’t have any steering issues with that one but also not a servo I’d necessarily recommend since I’ve had one arrive dead before, but sometimes with a budget you gotta roll the dice and those aren’t too bad when they work right. Also running a 1080 @7.4v on my ifs Baja bug

FWIW the bad receiver I had that caused this issue was also a flysky. Fingers crossed it’s as easy as swapping the receiver to fix it for you and not something more complicated.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Soze,
I adjusted my end points on the controller.
But what is the optimal maximal angle?
I think there is not optimal angle when servo must pull the wheels from maximum angle back.
If I hold the wheels in maximum range of motion, servo doesn’t have power to pull back to the middle.

Sorry for the late reply, It's probably not the case in yours, and it really shouldn't happen normally, but when the knuckle turns past a certain point, it's bound up because the link can't be moved back. It's only happened to me after getting jammed up in a rock, but not via normal steering movement. Just wasn't sure if yours was set up in a way that it would be possible.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

I’m running this cheapy Amazon servo in mine. Steering is smooth and servo has no problem turning the tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Also make sure you are using the inner hole on the servo horn. Instruction shows the inner hole is for the ifs and outer for the solid axle.
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #16

So I checked my assembly and I did all correctly.
Unscrewed all steering mechanism, no binding anywhere, so I put it back together. Seems like it works better now.
I also wired my servo to have power directly from the 2S battery.
All together - it helped a little. Wheels are not getting stuck on flat surface now.
However I think to have stronger servo (jx46kg) as Topher Builders recommended, would help.

Element IFS Steering problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modded Tundra Element IFS w/portals Rock solid Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 29 11-28-2023 10:51 AM
Element IFS gearing ratios? TITANIUM94010 General Crawlers 1 07-08-2020 05:31 PM
Element IFS on a VS4? turbodan13 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 4 03-20-2020 08:55 PM