Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper kit vs RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #1

Default Gatekeeper kit vs RTR

Looking into a gatekeeper for when the snow melts off the frozen tundra. I'd love to build the kit but considering the RTR is only $100 more and all I would have to do is swap a RX I'm kinda considering going that route. After discussing with my brother about the prospect he mentioned AE may spec a different grade of plastic in the kit vs the RTR. If this is the case I would probably be swayed to buy the kit. Does anyone know if the kit comes with better plastics?
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Gatekeeper kit vs RTR

I believe I’d seen the RTR was same plastics as the other RTRs and the transmission has some plastic instead of metal gears.

I’ve got the kit myself, but I also wanted a brushless setup and different RX, so the RTR would only have gotten me some starter tires and wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
Looking into a gatekeeper for when the snow melts off the frozen tundra. I'd love to build the kit but considering the RTR is only $100 more and all I would have to do is swap a RX I'm kinda considering going that route. After discussing with my brother about the prospect he mentioned AE may spec a different grade of plastic in the kit vs the RTR. If this is the case I would probably be swayed to buy the kit. Does anyone know if the kit comes with better plastics?
Yep better shocks too. The $100 difference isn’t worth the servo/esc/motor IMO. You could put a 2300kv axe setup in it for $200, a decent servo, and still be in the rtr ballpark. Maybe less than the rtr if you use a cheaper brushed setup like a 1080 and Holmes, buy a good servo though if you plan on running big tires. The rtr servo in my Trailmaster lasted about 8 runs or so.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #4

Good to know
Thanks for your prompt responses guys, looks like I will be getting a kit as originally planned!
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
rc8

$100. difference is something to consider. Your'e not missing just the electronics but also the wheels and tires. I been sitting on the fence trying to decide. Thing is it's not nearly as fun taking apart a RTR versus the kit.
rc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I think kit is they way to go most of the time. You get to build it to see how it all works, plus put good electronics in. It may be a little bit more than just getting an RTR, but in the long run, you’ll save money and a headache. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Keep in mind that you will spend more on the RTR if you plan on switching out the electronics or wheels and tires.

RTRs are built to a price point to get you started. If you never plan on changing them or feel uncomfortable building a kit, the RTR makes sense.

But generally, kits are a better value if you are already planning on switching out electronics or tires, since you don’t pay for stuff you are going to chuck.

nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
rc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
Keep in mind that you will spend more on the RTR if you plan on switching out the electronics or wheels and tires.

RTRs are built to a price point to get you started. If you never plan on changing them or feel uncomfortable building a kit, the RTR makes sense.

But generally, kits are a better value if you are already planning on switching out electronics or tires, since you don’t pay for stuff you are going to chuck.

I’m in Canada. Wish I could purchase at those prices south of the border. I estimated double the cost of the RTR.

You are right. The best way to learn how to maintain your rcs is to build a kit. Cos something will break, then what.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
looks like I will be getting a kit as originally planned!
You'll be glad you did. I was getting back into rcs and had nothing, so I thought about the rtr to get myself up and running overnight. Pretty impressive for what you get for your money really. But knowing myself I knew I was going to tear into it and modify it with aftermarket bits so I decided on a kit to do that right out of the gate. While it's taking a while it's been a more satisfying process and a welcome diversion since Thanksgiving (I've posted a build thread).
autorista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:45 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
I believe I’d seen the RTR was same plastics as the other RTRs and the transmission has some plastic instead of metal gears.

I’ve got the kit myself, but I also wanted a brushless setup and different RX, so the RTR would only have gotten me some starter tires and wheels.

I built my kit trans this weekend, and was a bit surprised to find plastic gears included. Not sure if that's normal, or a packaging mistake.
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeaddict17 View Post
I built my kit trans this weekend, and was a bit surprised to find plastic gears included. Not sure if that's normal, or a packaging mistake.
The 2 drive gears are plastic, imo they're fine as they are thick gears. What struck me as flimsy are the plastic spur gear plates. Substituted the AE aluminum parts for those.
autorista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #12

IMO, always go for a kit if available. To do a budget build, you could do it for not much more $$ than the RTR, and you will start with a lot of upgrades in the box from the RTR.
RLB454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #13
rc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB454 View Post
IMO, always go for a kit if available. To do a budget build, you could do it for not much more $$ than the RTR, and you will start with a lot of upgrades in the box from the RTR.
I been mulling this over for 2 weeks. I calculated the cost of the kit to get it up and running to be almost double the cost of the RTR. Then my issues with soldering. Experience = 0

Now I'm thinking of this solution. Get the RTR. Tear it down. Now you have the kit, with stock electronics at least and wheels/tires. I doubt anyone else go this route cos the whole purpose of the kit was to customize your own electronics.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
rc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorista View Post
You'll be glad you did. I was getting back into rcs and had nothing, so I thought about the rtr to get myself up and running overnight. Pretty impressive for what you get for your money really. But knowing myself I knew I was going to tear into it and modify it with aftermarket bits so I decided on a kit to do that right out of the gate. While it's taking a while it's been a more satisfying process and a welcome diversion since Thanksgiving (I've posted a build thread).
Ya and how many of us newbies have your skills. Not I. lol

Last edited by rc8; 01-09-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Tags
gatekeeper

Gatekeeper kit vs RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gatekeeper kit build with aftermarket parts autorista Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 28 04-18-2021 01:20 AM
Gatekeeper Kit Upgrades RLB454 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 7 12-16-2020 03:37 PM
Gatekeeper GC-3A Comp Chassis Kit Axial THE PARTS GUY Vendors Market 2 07-30-2010 09:01 PM