Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Duratrax Deep Woods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Duratrax Deep Woods?

Before the UK fully locked down again I managed to get out for a spot of trailing with my Sendero and him with his newly built TRX4.

The terrain was loose but dry mud and pine needles. It was great fun.

I have to say though I was really impressed by the TRX4. It seemed to be able to climb stuff that my Sendero could not get close to managing. Not technical stuff just steep climbs on loose mud. He seemed able to find traction where I had none. He could even push me up the hill when I got in bother.

Three theories:

1. Torque twist was lifting my front wheel - Okay, I'm going to try to fit a spare Sway Bar from my Redcat Wendigo and see if that helps.

2. I have my overdrive set for 12%. What seemed to be happening was that the front wheels would dig a wee hole for themselves and the back couldn't push through. Maybe overdrive is less use in loose terrain? I might go back to 5.6%

3. Tyres. Yeah, it's probably the tyres. The stock ones on the Sendero look a lot less 'aggresive' than the stock TRX 4 ones. So, I had a look around for replacements but near everything is out of stock in the UK right now.

One option I did find though was some sets of premounted Duratrax Deep Woods. Have to say they look pretty good but I've read they are a bit larger than spec.

Has anyone tried them? Do they fit without having to remove half the bodyshell?

Any other tips gladly considered.

Cheers.
Cuiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Duratrax Deep Woods?

The TRX4 weighs a lot more, I'm sure it's able to dig in where the Sendero cannot. Comes in handy sometimes, especially in mud or loose dirt.

As far as the tires, they perform incredibly well for the price, I've been very happy with mine. I generally run them in colder conditions as the compound is not bothered by the cold as much as my proline tires.

They are a full 4.75, and quite knobby. I have not tried them on a Sendero per-se, but I've run with quite a few on the trail and wrenched on a couple. I would say a little bit of trimming might be in order, but I doubt you'd have to remove the fender or anything. I fit a set of 4.75 Proline TSL's on my daycrawler's Sendero and they needed just a bit of trim around the front edge of the fender.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #3

I am running the Duratrax Showdowns on my Trailwalker with a different body and really like them. I am going to try a set of Deep Woods next on my Gatekeeper.
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:08 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. Helpful stuff!

Out of curiosity, did you guys go with pre-mounted tyres or fit them to beadlocks?

They are only available pre-mounted at the moment and I'd read about a couple of issues with the quality of the plastic wheels (poor hexs).

Cheers.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:12 AM   #5

I've got a set of Approach tires I've been checking out. So far so good. (Mounted to aluminum deadlocks)
bad andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Mine are on beadlocks. I've never tried the mounted tires.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #7

Mine are on alloy beadlocks, the extra weight of the wheels helps grip.
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:11 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiken View Post
Thanks. Helpful stuff!

Out of curiosity, did you guys go with pre-mounted tyres or fit them to beadlocks?
In the UK ...why not get Louise tires instead of Duratrax ?? They are exactly the same but cheaper .
DT Deep Woods---> Louise Champ
DT Showdown ---> Louise Rowdy

for wet condition I would go Rowdy
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:13 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Last minute slight change of direction. Went for a set of showdowns. I've read good things and I really like the look of them.

Not very 'scale' but I reckon they'll contrast nicely against the style of the Sendero's stock body and grip best in the type of terrain we have around here.

I'll report back.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:14 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have 2 truck running Showdowns with Proline 2 stage foams. One is my pig TRX4 and the other is my much lighter MST CFX-W, which aside from my Capra, is my best performing truck. I also have a set of Deep Woods with CI 2 stage foams on my Gmade GS02 Komodo and they're very capable. Overall I feel that the Showdowns hook up and find traction better everywhere and don't load up. Having said that, the Deep Woods are VERY good as well. The stock Duratrax foams are way too soft for anything but trail running in my opinion and have zero sidewall support. Just something to keep in mind.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm running a set on a 6lb scx with CI 4.75 medium foams and like them very much. The lugs fold over a bit when reaching the limits of traction, but it doesnt seem to upset the truck.

I would warn against the premounted options as the plastic wheels are a bit soft and will round the hex out with even moderately abusive crawling.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:20 PM   #12

Watched this comparison video.
So I went on looks cost and performance. I really like how some on the tires flex on the side wall.

https://youtu.be/Ip7rpVf0KEM

I went with the Deep Woods. I am very happy with them.
jinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:03 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Ta for the tip on the 'avoid premounted' but unfortunately I've already ordered a set. TBF, there are no unmounted ones available in either Deep Woods or Showdowns in the UK right now.

I'm going to have to hope that the relatively light weight of my truck (and poor traction in the mud) means mine will survive.

Cheers.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The mounted showdowns have turned up. Couple of observations:

1. They are big. 124mm diameter so a bit bigger than the 116mm ones coming off the truck. Doesn't sound like much but, combined with the aggressive tread, they snag the body pretty badly. No biggie though. Bit of body trimming will sort it. The Sendero's wheel arches are too tight anyway.

2. The plastic rims do seem a bit soft. I'm going to use some 12mm stainless penny washers to try to reinforce them a bit. See how I get on.

Minor quibbles aside, they totally transform the look of the truck and I'm guessing the grip will be awesome. Okay, it's not very scale but it's still pretty appealing.

Just need to finish off a couple of repair jobs on the rest of the truck and I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

Last edited by Cuiken; 02-02-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Running the largest washers that will fit, and religiously torque checking the wheel nuts every run will prolong the life of your plastic wheels.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

12mm penny washers work great. Nice snug fit. Liberal dose of blue threadlock for good measure.

The truck looks flat out awesome with the new wheels:

Couple of caveates though:

As mentioned. On my endero I got a ton of body rubbing/snagging. Had to trim the wheel arches right back (no problem, looks better anyway).

I also get just a smidge of rubbing against the suspension links at full lock. Tweaked EPA on the transmitter to fix it but you do lose a degree or so of lock. I'm not too worried, the Element Enduro has really good full lock.

A ton of snow this week though has meant not being able to properly try it out. Maybe next week...

Duratrax Deep Woods? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DuraTrax Deep Woods JMHZ2401 Tires and Wheels 0 09-08-2020 07:42 PM
DuraTrax Deep Woods JMHZ2401 Videos! 0 09-08-2020 06:35 PM