Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Mats Gatekeeper with IFS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 05:57 AM   #1
mat
Pebble Pounder

Default Mats Gatekeeper with IFS

Going for more of a racer than crawler with this build.

I won’t bore you with a full build, I’m sure you’ve seen enough by now

Added the scx10 hot racing sway bar kit to the rear.

Printed out the IFS lowering kit from Knight Customs, this drops the IFS by 13mm I think. No need for shock tower lowering plates.

I’m going to try my old traxxas 3800kv brushless on 3S....it might end in tears!

Bit of a jump to the end result, but I get to carried and forget to take pics!!

Add 22mm offset hubs, the wheels are still hitting the chassis on full lock and full travel.

Had to adjust the steering setup to cancel out the bump steer. I think I’ve got it pretty good now.

Still in local lockdown so I can’t run this at the moment, as soon as I can I’ll get some footage
mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Mats Gatekeeper with IFS

Looks great! Love the body/panels!!
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

Great looking GK!

Great job on the rear panels! Love the look you have achieved with the IFS and paint scheme!
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Raciest Gatekeeper build out there, by far!

That's a very capable lookin' machine...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I like the paint scheme! What color is the blue?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looks pretty cool. Was there a particular 1:1 vehicle you drew inspiration from for the body panels?
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

Looks great. Love the added paneling. Looking forward to seeing how this runs.
bad andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
mat
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotboy View Post
Looks great! Love the body/panels!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great looking GK!

Great job on the rear panels! Love the look you have achieved with the IFS and paint scheme!
Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Raciest Gatekeeper build out there, by far!

That's a very capable lookin' machine...

Thanks for the kind comments guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I like the paint scheme! What color is the blue?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Thanks dude, the blue is Tamiya PS-3 backed with silver then black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Looks pretty cool. Was there a particular 1:1 vehicle you drew inspiration from for the body panels?

Cheers I looked at loads of KOH rigs for inspiration. I was thinking of seperate panel sections but experimented with a few cardboard designs to see what worked best. Wanted somthing a little different from the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
Looks great. Love the added paneling. Looking forward to seeing how this runs.

Thanks, me too!!
Old 02-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

So I'm curious, did you build this with the standard front overdrive setup?
bad andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Me likey!!!
Considering selling my KORP and doing a similar ifs gatekeeper build!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #11
mat
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
So I'm curious, did you build this with the standard front overdrive setup?

Yeah, I've built it with standard overdrive. I have no idea how it runs yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Me likey!!!
Considering selling my KORP and doing a similar ifs gatekeeper build!
Thanks
Old 01-31-2022, 06:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Great build...and, I luv the color scheme. I just bought, and I'm currently building, the Gatekeeper kit. I've also ordered the IFS kit from RPP Hobby, and I'm hoping it's delivered within the next few days. I know it's been almost a year since your last post, but have some questions I'm hoping you can answer before the IFS kit arrives.

First, how did the stock (6.25%) OD work? Are you still running the stock OD...or, did you switch to option 2 (12%), or the 1:1 ratio? Second, did you build/install the trans with the spur in front, or in the rear? Third, is the stock servo mount used, or does the kit include a replacement servo mount? And, finally, if the stock servo mount is still used, is the servo installed in the normal (ie. spline in front) position, or reversed (ie. spline in the rear)?

If there's any possibility you would be able to answer these questions within the next 2-3 days, I'd really, really appreciate it. On one hand, regarding the transmission questions, it would better help me to build the "better" option (I'll be running a Castle Copperhead 10 ESC & 2400kv motor? As for the servo questions, your answers would help me in determining whether I can install the servo before the IFS kit arrives...or whether I need to wait to install it until after the IFS kit arrives. Thanks, in advance, for whatever helpful info you can provide.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I can answer some of the questions actually. Started out with a Builder Kit and an IFS kit. As for the servo, the IFS uses a different servo mount than stock. This plate also has the risers and bell cranks attached to it.

Transmission wise, spur gear forward, it can make some adjustments harder. You’ll get better side to side balance, but have more rear weight bias. I started spur gear forward and went to the other config later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:29 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
I can answer some of the questions actually. Started out with a Builder Kit and an IFS kit. As for the servo, the IFS uses a different servo mount than stock. This plate also has the risers and bell cranks attached to it.

Transmission wise, spur gear forward, it can make some adjustments harder. You’ll get better side to side balance, but have more rear weight bias. I started spur gear forward and went to the other config later on.

First, thank you for the servo/steering related info. The IFS Kit should be out for delivery today (I see it arrived at the local Fresno USPS station late last night).

As for the transmission, you say you started with the reversed mounting position (spur forward), and then decided to return it to the factory stock position. I would have thought that, by placing the spur up front, or would have shifted weight slightly forward (as it does with the AX10 trans in my Capra...granted, the AX10 has a steel spur). Speaking of which, as I'll be converting the 48p to 32p, and was considering the same (ie. Robinson Racing steel spur). Also, just curious...but, how does a forward spur on the Gatekeeper make adjustments "harder"?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 02-02-2022, 07:38 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
Going for more of a racer than crawler with this build.

I won’t bore you with a full build, I’m sure you’ve seen enough by now

Added the scx10 hot racing sway bar kit to the rear.

Printed out the IFS lowering kit from Knight Customs, this drops the IFS by 13mm I think. No need for shock tower lowering plates.

I’m going to try my old traxxas 3800kv brushless on 3S....it might end in tears!

Bit of a jump to the end result, but I get to carried and forget to take pics!!

Add 22mm offset hubs, the wheels are still hitting the chassis on full lock and full travel.

Had to adjust the steering setup to cancel out the bump steer. I think I’ve got it pretty good now.

Still in local lockdown so I can’t run this at the moment, as soon as I can I’ll get some footage
Sweet looking build bro!

Did you make the additional panels??
Maxx_Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:23 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
First, thank you for the servo/steering related info. The IFS Kit should be out for delivery today (I see it arrived at the local Fresno USPS station late last night).

As for the transmission, you say you started with the reversed mounting position (spur forward), and then decided to return it to the factory stock position. I would have thought that, by placing the spur up front, or would have shifted weight slightly forward (as it does with the AX10 trans in my Capra...granted, the AX10 has a steel spur). Speaking of which, as I'll be converting the 48p to 32p, and was considering the same (ie. Robinson Racing steel spur). Also, just curious...but, how does a forward spur on the Gatekeeper make adjustments "harder"?

The weight will depend on motor size. I am running a Fusion in mine, and had 550 size motor in it before that. For the adjustments, it is the gear mesh adjustments, as the battery tray and IFS get in the way for most screw drivers.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
The weight will depend on motor size. I am running a Fusion in mine, and had 550 size motor in it before that. For the adjustments, it is the gear mesh adjustments, as the battery tray and IFS get in the way for most screw drivers.

I'll be installing a Castle 1415 (550 can), along with Copperhead ESC, if that helps to better determine the front-rear weight. With a reverse-installed trans, I could see how this might shift the weight rearward, especially if using a plastic spur...but, if using a steel spur (such as Robinson Racing, as I'm considering), I'm uncertain whether the additional weight of the spur would be enough to shift that weight back towards the front, or would give it "equal balance", or would still leave to much weight in the rear.

Sure, I could build the trans with the stock layshaft (tho, I WILL be using the machined gears, if that makes any difference in front-rear trans balance), and steel spur, and see where the front-rear weight is...but, if the spur end did end up being heavier, then I'd have to order the reverse layshaft, wait for it to arrive, disassemble the trans, and rebuild it. I'm just trying to "figure things out" before I even start building the trans. I haven't ordered the machined gears yet, as I've been 'holding off' until I (hopefully) had the layshaft matter figured out. Truth-be-told, putting together the trans could end up being the last part of the build.

As for mesh adjustment, when it comes to my crawlers (and crawler-like vehicles), I always install motor/pinion with the trans removed from the vehicle, adjust mesh, and then reinstall the trans. Same goes for adjusting a slipper. It's quick & easy to remove the four screws holding the trans to the skid. In most cases, I don't even have to disconnect the motor from the ESC (one exception to that would be my Capra, which is a real PitA to work on).

Old 02-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

A quick "additional thought" (primarily because I just watched a video comparing the Enduro Builders kit V2, which is somewhat based on the Gatekeeper kit, against the V1.

Are you are running the steel, or plastic, trans gears? If the plastic gears, have there's been any "durability issues"? Essentially, I'm having second thoughts about upgrading to the machined steel gears, and considering the possibility of sticking with the included plastic gears. Sounds appreciate "advise" on this.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:27 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well my first one is on the machined gears. Never had an issue with those gears, just the screws stripping at one point. Been running them for 2 years now. I can’t speak on the plastic gears yet.

Maybe the OP will respond, as that system should put a bunch of stress.

Mats Gatekeeper with IFS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw Gavin Ayala Axial AX10 2nd-gen 40 09-24-2020 09:25 AM
work mats eric113 Tools, and Procedures 9 03-17-2015 01:19 PM