Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Fitting a sway bar...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2021, 03:03 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Fitting a sway bar...

Okay, so it will definitely be to the detriment of hardcore rock crawling but mine is really working out to be a trail truck and, with the AXE550 2700KV motor, has a lot of power and a lot of torque twist.

I recently fitted a 'hacked' reefs sway bar to my Redcat Wendigo so figured I'd try something similar.

Reefs stuff is insanely expensive in the UK though so I wanted to try something cheaper.

I'd previously bought one of these for the Wendigo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium...oAAOSwTnpfth5E

It was frankly rubbish. Most of the parts are fine but the actual torsion bar has been made from stainless steel. So, it has no 'spring' and simply deforms when twisted. At that point I'd bought the Reefs and moved on.

However, after a bit of reading I learned that piano string wire has all the properties needed to make a decent sway bar. So, I bought two 30cm lengths. One 2mm and the other 2.5mm diameter.

All I had to do was cut to the correct length and then add the 'flats' on either end (bench grinder).

Fitting the bar to the Sendero was easy, just ran it through a set of pre-existing chassis holes (and the extra brace I'd already fitted) and then attached to the rear axle with longer screws through the suspension link mounts.

Does it work?

Yeah, I'd say so. Torque twist is much reduced and the truck seems more stable at trail speeds. I've been able to reduce the weight of oil and preload on the shocks a bit too.

FYI, I tried both the 2.5mm and the 2mm wire. The 2.5mm works but is possibly just a bit too much. Really no 'sway' at all so limitted articulation on the rear axle. Even for trailing I'd say it is too restrictive. The 2mm works well and still allows reasonable axle articulation.

As a note, the Reefs comes with 2.37mm wire and, I think, would be a bit much for the Enduro (same reasons as above). Piano wire is dirt cheap so, if you already have the 'arms' and links, it's worth a shot.

Hope that is useful to someone.

Last edited by Cuiken; 02-10-2021 at 03:39 AM.
Cuiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Fitting a sway bar...

I dig it. I made mine in reverse of yours with an old AE sc104x4 bar.

terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:49 AM   #3

Default Re: Fitting a sway bar...

The Element Gatekeeper sway bar fits the Enduro chassis no problem, and is available in the UK.

Fixed my torque twist, and the softest torsion bar allows for about 80% of stock flex with a stock chassis. It'll soften up a bit with use too.
Teebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Fitting a sway bar... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sway Bar ajsmcs Axial SCX10 II 4 11-29-2016 09:43 PM
Vp Currie Sway Bar vs Axial Sway Bar Biomedchad Axial RR10 Bomber 1 02-15-2016 10:05 PM