Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper and 4 wheel steering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #1

Default Gatekeeper and 4 wheel steering?

I am thinking of getting the ifs kit for my gatekeeper build but I was wondering if the gatekeeper supports 4 wheel steering like the enduro? From elements ig video it looks like a super simple job on the enduro but can't find info on whether it's the same for the gatekeeper.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2021, 02:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gatekeeper and 4 wheel steering?

Take my advice with a teaspoon or so of salt as I'm not an Enduro owner (yet?). As far as I can tell from the research I have done into the Enduro platform, the gatekeeper axles are identical to all the other truck. The extra chassis brace, new shock towers/locations and the trailing arms are the only new parts. If you have a video demonstrating a rear steer conversion on a sendero (or other Enduro truck) I'm 99.9% sure it will apply to the gate keeper as well.

I found this photo, I'm pretty sure the green parts represent all the new components.
I apologise ahead of time if I'm wrong about any of this, just trying to be helpful. Anyone feel free to correct me.

(Year late) Edit: I have been slightly corrected.
As mentioned by Panther the GateKeeper are the ones pictured in green and the rear bumper mount (not indicated by green) if you intended to stick with the pivoting GK body

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 02-07-2022 at 02:16 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gatekeeper and 4 wheel steering?

Time to "resurrect" a year-old thread from the grave. Not because I'm any sort of 'expert' with the Enduro vehicles (I'm, most definitely, not), or because I have the answer/solution (I don't)...but, because I recently purchased (and am building) a Gatekeeper Builder's Kit, as well as the IFS Conversion Kit, and (as of this morning) I started thinking about installing the unused front axle on the rear for 4WS.

But, first, the 'green' parts (above) are NOT the only different parts for the Gatekeeper chassis. The rear bumper is also different. The bumper included with the Gatekeeper is part of the body mounting system, as well as part of the sway bar mount. As such, the rear bumper is needed/required...which brings me to an idea (albeit, one I can't yet test, as I won't have access to my Dremel for almost another month). As the Gatekeeper Kit includes two braces/servo mounts, no additional parts should be needed (as least, as best I can tell right now). For those with the RTR, you'd need to purchase a second servo mount. My idea, which should work equally-well for those running both axles, as well as those running the IFS, is this as follows.

For those with the Gatekeeper Kit, as I mentioned (above), the kit includes two servo mounts, as such:
The one on the right is probably stronger (due to the two 'X' sections), so, if running both axles, you probably want this one in the front, and the one on the left in the rear. If running IFS, you can use either in the rear...but, you might want to use the one in the right. Next would be the parts needing mods. Looking at the two photos below, using a Dremel, a portion of the rear bumper, as well as the rear brace (supporting the "fuel cell") would need to be removed (as indicated by the transparent 'teal' sections).
As I have NOT tested my idea, I can't say whether, or not, the 'fuel cell' would be able to remain...but, what's described above should resolve all problems related to mounting a rear servo.

UNfortunately, there are (potentially) two bigger problems remaining. The first is that the rear brace of the cage is also part of the body mount. The second is (potential) "interference" with the sway bar (if you're not using the sway bar, this 'problem' is nullified).

Starting with the sway bar, after holding the additional servo mount & servo horn in their proper "space", I can't tell if the (kit) included steel servo horn would hit the sway bar...but, at the same time, I can tell that if an angled, or "drop down", horn were to be used, there would be no problem of it hitting the sway bar. Simple problem, simple solution. Moving on..........

Regarding the problem having to do with the cage & body mount 'double-T' brace, I think I might have a workable solution. First, everything described above would need to already be completed, and the servo installed. Then, lowering the cage into place (obviously, with the cage 'attached' to the front bumper), it would be easy to see where the brace would hit the servo. Using a Dremel, or hot knife, the area of the brace just in front of the two body mounts would need to be cut approx 1mm behind the servo. Next, remove the two side screws holding the remainder of the brace to the sides of the cage. The cage is already stiff enough, and removing that one brace should not impact the integrity of the cage.

Finally, replace the two screws at the back of the cage (holding the body mounts) with longer screws. If you wanted to further 'stabilize' the cage portion of the rear body mounts, one could fashion something to connect the two body mounts together, so as to prevent both of them from rotating.

Again, I have not actually tried anything of what I am proposing. I have visualized it in my head, and made a visual assessment (by holding the servo mount/brace & servo horn in the "free space" behind the vehicle)...but, I do believe that everything mentioned above should work as described. That being said, if anyone else has successfully converted their GateKeeper to 4WS, if you could, please, post how you went about it, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by many others.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gatekeeper and 4 wheel steering? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw Gavin Ayala Axial AX10 2nd-gen 40 09-24-2020 09:25 AM
4 wheel steering on XR 10 Alex Yuen Newbie General 0 01-22-2013 08:57 AM
4 Wheel Steering Help... Rare Bear Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 14 04-17-2009 10:04 PM
4 Wheel Steering!! f0cker General Crawlers 14 08-29-2005 06:45 PM