Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Where’s the Ecto Trail Reviews???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Where’s the Ecto Trail Reviews???

I was stoked to see the Ecto Trail release. I was so tempted to purchase an rtr but am fighting the urge since I already have a dozen various rc’s collecting dust due to family demands. Many are projects I dream of getting running. Anyhow, I have been anxiously waiting to see fellow forum members post real life reviews etc… All the youtube reviewers read the same press release verbiage. I wanna hear the truth, the whole truth, and… yes I can handle the truth!

Let’s see and hear about your builds and adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Where’s the Ecto Trail Reviews???

DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick View Post
I was stoked to see the Ecto Trail release. I was so tempted to purchase an rtr but am fighting the urge since I already have a dozen various rc’s collecting dust due to family demands. Many are projects I dream of getting running. Anyhow, I have been anxiously waiting to see fellow forum members post real life reviews etc… All the youtube reviewers read the same press release verbiage. I wanna hear the truth, the whole truth, and… yes I can handle the truth!

Let’s see and hear about your builds and adventures.

If you want a winner put a lighter body and get rid of the extra weight on the TRX or get some high pinion axles (AR44s are a good choice) on the Element.

The lighter body on the TRX and dumping unneedy plastic brings the TRX GOG down.

High pinion axles on the Element will get rid of the torque twist and the front end won't lift and seem as light.

I have no experience with the Axial in that video. What I have seen is the dig doesn't engage and disengage very well.

If you want portals on the Element AR45 maybe a good option but I am not sure about how the diffs will line up.

Last edited by MOguy; 09-20-2021 at 07:05 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I think the trailing arms and swaybar on the Ecto reduce greatly the torque twist vs the standard Enduro Senduro chassis. It rides flat and still articulates well. Its bulky diffs are a detractor though.
Ditch the stock tires and ditch the overly sensitive stock ESC and I think it will perform really well for an RTR.
My comparisons with the Ecto are a RTR SCX10 II with F9 portals (fairly tricked), and a RTR Enduro with shock keys & wheels/tires and brass (otherwise stock).

The F9 Scx 10 II with portals climbs everything (does need overdrive) and is low enough to sidehill well.
My Enduro climbs very well but the stock axles hang up in too many areas. I have not got its sidehill ability dialed in yet - does ok but not the best.
My Ecto stock tires suck. On went 2.2 Rc4wd 4.75" MT MTR's. Great grabbing tires so far. Ride height lowered. It does everything the others do, easier. It turns the sharpest too. Gotta ditch the oversensitive stock ESC for a 1080.
IMO, drop on tooth on the pinion & put in a smooth ESC and the Ecto is very competent. The Ecto has few features compared to most but an excellent base vehicle.
Mine is basically new, and not beat on yet... I will beat up on my older rc's first...

I thought the DrIsotope vids were biased against the Ecto with poor line choice and abrupt throttle use.
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxamillion View Post
I think the trailing arms and swaybar on the Ecto reduce greatly the torque twist vs the standard Enduro Senduro chassis. .
Why not just go to the source of the problem, the Element axials. DUMP THEM!!! The low pinion causes torque twist and the low pinion and big pumpkin hang up on stuff. AR44s are great and the AR45s could be better depending on the diff location issues.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:10 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Why not just go to the source of the problem, the Element axles. DUMP THEM!!! The low pinion causes torque twist and the low pinion and big pumpkin hang up on stuff. AR44s are great and the AR45s could be even better depending on the diff location issues.
I plan to. I have a set of AR44's and a set of SSD portals. Gotta decide.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

High pinion axles on the Element will get rid of the torque twist and the front end won't lift and seem as light.

ive seen you say that twice now, and its not true, at all, not even a little bit.
josh9mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Not in any of my testing have I noted appreciable torque twist with the Ecto. Further, if I had thought that the Ecto needed different axles out of the box to perform decently, I would have considered it an outright failure.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mile View Post
ive seen you say that twice now, and its not true, at all, not even a little bit.
You didn't notice the difference when you swapped the low pinion axles for high pinion ones?

It has more to do with gear rotation and you can reverse the transmission for a fix it but that makes it more difficult to fit some bodies and maybe some interiors. It will also cause problems with the underdrive in the trans. You are still stuck with a big diff with a low pinion and the clearance issues. And less aftermarket support.

if you don't believe me give it a shot.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Not in any of my testing have I noted appreciable torque twist with the Ecto. Further, if I had thought that the Ecto needed different axles out of the box to perform decently, I would have considered it an outright failure.
Try some AR44s or 45. I did and it made a big difference.

People will spend all sorts of money on electronics, why not a little on axles?
Old 09-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

DrIsotope: Great videos and your crawler garden is amazing! I wish I was your neighbor. I thought your statements were fair and honest. You admitted certain lines were easier for each vehicle. You did well showing the pros and cons. Thank you!

I am trying to learn more about the Axial AR44 swap. What is a good source for purchasing complete axles? I am leery of the ebay/Amazon clones. Am I correct in that fear? How can I spot clones when buying used? Please school me some.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
DrIsotope: Great videos and your crawler garden is amazing! I wish I was your neighbor. I thought your statements were fair and honest. You admitted certain lines were easier for each vehicle. You did well showing the pros and cons. Thank you!

I am trying to learn more about the Axial AR44 swap. What is a good source for purchasing complete axles? I am leery of the ebay/Amazon clones. Am I correct in that fear? How can I spot clones when buying used? Please school me some.

The cheap plastic axles are fine, just the gears may be a little weak a need replaced at some point. When it comes to metal, just make sure there's no thin points like the Capra axles on the c-hub. Those are known to snap easy due to thin pot metal.

But if you have the $$, I'd always prefer name-brand than off-brand.

JMO.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Why not just go to the source of the problem, the Element axials. DUMP THEM!!! The low pinion causes torque twist and the low pinion and big pumpkin hang up on stuff.
I have to agree with Josh9mile, the Enduro axle is the same tooth count which is the only factor affecting TT (if you're comparing it to an Axial rig). Whether the pinion is low, high or in the middle has no bearing on TT at all.

Also the Enduro without sway bar and trailing arms has pretty much the same amount of TT as an Axial, which is to say not much certainly not enough to care about.

We need to go all the way back to the Vaterra Ascender to find a rig that truly has TT you need to fix (due to the gearing in the axle), worrying about the Ecto having TT is just silly and misguided.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Someone else commented on another thread that the “punch” setting had a lot to do with torque twist. That seemed logical to me. Is it accurate?

Old 09-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I've got plenty of Enduros and SCX10II... They both perform well. I haven't encountered any detrimental TT while crawling with my Enduros, but I don't know if it's because I drive more slowly and deliberate. The Element axles have never really held me back from any lines that I could do with my SCX10IIs, but YMMV.

I've only heard of complaints about the middle pinion angle because of the front driveshaft angle....but it might be necessary for the BTA steering.

Last edited by soze; 09-28-2021 at 05:50 PM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Someone else commented on another thread that the “punch” setting had a lot to do with torque twist. That seemed logical to me. Is it accurate?

I dont know what to say about that comment but punch is specific to a brushless motor (its a setting in the ESC programming). If they're talking about punch they may have a ton more wheelspeed than needed and they may be seeing TT when they launch the thing at full throttle just a thought.

Only other thing that comes to mind is that if you were to say remove the sway bar on the Ecto the suspension is so soft due to the trailing arm setup that the rear springs may not be able to fight the natural tendency to compress the opposite corner (right rear). If you do want to ditch the sway bar setup it may be best to convert back to links and an axle mounted shock (the standard setup).
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:33 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I put AR44's on my Enduro today. No appreciable difference in torque twist IMO. As far a setting the chassis low 'belly dragger', soft springs, light oil and angled shocks let my Enduro TT too much. I have to put more preload back in and raise it some for more clearance on jagged rocks.
My Ecto runs very flat which I attribute to the swaybar. IMO its a good platform.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxamillion View Post
I put AR44's on my Enduro today. No appreciable difference in torque twist IMO. As far a setting the chassis low 'belly dragger', soft springs, light oil and angled shocks let my Enduro TT too much. I have to put more preload back in and raise it some for more clearance on jagged rocks.
My Ecto runs very flat which I attribute to the swaybar. IMO its a good platform.

Cool. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I have to agree with Josh9mile, the Enduro axle is the same tooth count which is the only factor affecting TT (if you're comparing it to an Axial rig). Whether the pinion is low, high or in the middle has no bearing on TT at all.

Also the Enduro without sway bar and trailing arms has pretty much the same amount of TT as an Axial, which is to say not much certainly not enough to care about.

We need to go all the way back to the Vaterra Ascender to find a rig that truly has TT you need to fix (due to the gearing in the axle), worrying about the Ecto having TT is just silly and misguided.
A lot has to do with the direction the pinion and ring turn, you can reverse the trans in the Element but there there is issues using underdrive in the trans.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Maxxamillion;6094241]I put AR44's on my Enduro today. No appreciable difference in torque twist IMO. As far a setting the chassis low 'belly dragger', soft springs, light oil and angled shocks let my Enduro TT too much. I have to put more preload back in and raise it some for more clearance on jagged rocks.

You will find on steep climbs the Ar44 will stay better planted. Watch the front passenger side on each axle. The Element will lift a tire sooner than the AR44, all other things equal.

Other that I agree the element is a good platform, better than the Axial. As far as your belly drag issue? Try lower the shocks on the chassis instead of adding preload. This will lift your belly but let your shocks work better.

Another thing to do is raise you upper susp link on the transmission side. I use a shock key.

Where’s the Ecto Trail Reviews??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ecto body on Gatekeeper SteveB1 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 24 12-17-2021 06:12 AM
Ecto body on Trail Truck Builder's Kit JimInMiami Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 44 11-21-2021 08:19 AM
Element Ecto Trail SteveB1 General Crawlers 6 07-11-2021 02:23 PM
No ecto news ? crazee horse Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 0 05-30-2021 03:37 PM
Ecto-1 mmatthews 1.5 Scale Rigs 133 01-02-2014 07:29 PM