Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Enduro Kit 2 vs Gatekeeper kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Enduro Kit 2 vs Gatekeeper kit?

I'm looking to build my first scale truck and think I want to go with an element enduro kit. I won't get crazy with scale perfection (because I'm not talented) but I'd like to end up with a truck body and have it look like real truck to a large degree.

I'm having trouble getting a definitive list of what's different between the two kits they offer. There's the Gatekeeper kit that comes with a body, but one I don't want to use (I have a Capra). Then there's the standard enduro "2" kit - the more recent updated. I know it lists a lo of the GKS upgrades and such.

Right now they are both pretty much the same price, and if the gatekeeper comes with various upgrades, I don't mind setting the body aside for a rainy day and slapping a nice truck body on the gatekeeper kit, since the other kit doesn't have a body at all.

Honestly the only thing I can find as a concrete difference is the trailing arm suspension on the Gatekeeper. That's a big difference to begin with I guess.
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Enduro Kit 2 vs Gatekeeper kit?

Although the GK kit does come with that caged body, it doesn't come with the conventional parts to mount a regular truck body. Those parts needed are the rear shock mounts (to mount the rear of a truck body), rock sliders and floor (the part the sliders mount to), rear bumper mount, and if necessary the front and rear bumpers.

The GK is also a 12.8" wheelbase vs the 12.3" V2 kit.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info - those are good enough reasons I think for me to pass on it with my goals. So it seems like just the standard kit is my best bet. So many options and subtle differences - I guess I can't complain - just need to figure them out.

So I think I have it narrowed down to this kit or possibly the Vanquish Phoenix - which would probably cost me $100 more overall but does have a body that I would probably keep at least for a while. Mainly I want the straight axles and a different brand than Axial just for variety's sake, ideally a 'higher grade' brand that has a nicer fit and finish if possible.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Of course now the question becomes - does the Sender HD RTR come with the same parts as the builders kit v2? Or is it build more on the older parts.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly View Post
Mainly I want the straight axles and a different brand than Axial just for variety's sake, ideally a 'higher grade' brand that has a nicer fit and finish if possible.
Based on that, I would steer you towards the Phoenix kit.

The Phoenix is a pretty well thought out, complete kit. Includes inner fenders, bumpers, etc. it also has a number of option/upgrade parts available, like machined trans gears, light kits, machined shock parts, machined aluminum housings, etc.

Nothing wrong with the element though, but it is a little more stripped down, basic platform to start with.

The Phoenix will get heavy pretty fast, and as a person that values lighter trucks, the element does does stand out in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

+1 on Phoenix kit. Seems like it's right up your alley and I think it's a solid value kit. I don't one yet but the straight axle version is in my wish list.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Based on that, I would steer you towards the Phoenix kit.
Yeah I think I'm heading that way too. So hard to pass on the $300 RTR Gatekeeper or $250kit - such an amazing deal - but just not what I'm looking for long term anyway. And I may be happy with the Vanquish's body - not sure yet - but definitely don't want another cage crawler, so gatekeeper would be a definite replacement.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly View Post
Yeah I think I'm heading that way too. So hard to pass on the $300 RTR Gatekeeper or $250kit - such an amazing deal - but just not what I'm looking for long term anyway. And I may be happy with the Vanquish's body - not sure yet - but definitely don't want another cage crawler, so gatekeeper would be a definite replacement.
the vanquish body is nice but it be easy to unload/sell and use the funds to get what you want. in my opinion the origin body is the best looking ... I have the half cab and is really nice but I prefer the Origin.
Speedy-Triple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
the vanquish body is nice but it be easy to unload/sell and use the funds to get what you want. in my opinion the origin body is the best looking ... I have the half cab and is really nice but I prefer the Origin.
I like the Origin best too, but was thinking maybe that injora hardbody cherokee. I'll have to look into how (if?) that would work. Also like the TRX4 70's Bronco and Blazer's... not hardbodies but I like that style.

So I'm in - bought the Vanquish Phoenix straight today at lhs. So I better shut up on the Element group now.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Instead of asking aim a new thread because I can not remember or even find out about it… does the builders kit include the “hard” plastic parts that the GK kit has?
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:54 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoroian View Post
Instead of asking aim a new thread because I can not remember or even find out about it… does the builders kit include the “hard” plastic parts that the GK kit has?
It does not, but the parts are black plastic and not gray like the hard plastic if that matters.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
It does not, but the parts are black plastic and not gray like the hard plastic if that matters.
Thank you. That’s what I thought. I was looking for the Hard plastic. I had some money returned to me and thought hummm… already have a GK but was looking to make a light weight lcg with the bones of element components. The extra stuff I won’t use can be used somewhere else got the extra $50, my son really wants a the cage on one of his trucks.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoroian View Post
Thank you. That’s what I thought. I was looking for the Hard plastic. I had some money returned to me and thought hummm… already have a GK but was looking to make a light weight lcg with the bones of element components. The extra stuff I won’t use can be used somewhere else got the extra $50, my son really wants a the cage on one of his trucks.
The V2 kit is still solid, and especially if you're after the conventional 4 link rear. My first Element rig was a GK and it was my first actual builder's kit before getting a V2 also.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Definitely solid rigs to have. I’ve been a diehard AE from my first rc10 when I was a kid in the 80’s. Nice to see quality and components selections still a thing. Still currently have tabs open for VP Phoenix, which is another consideration. I like how clean the stealth-x trans, especially for my requirements.

Trailing arm or 4link are easy enough to swap around. Still would like to finish up some other projects on the bench, but have funds now...

Enduro Kit 2 vs Gatekeeper kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Sport Kit vs Element Enduro Kit 2 KingRaptor General Crawlers 19 03-23-2022 02:35 PM
Gatekeeper Kit oldblue2010 General Crawlers 2 01-19-2021 02:45 PM
Gatekeeper kit vs RTR Crunch Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 13 01-09-2021 12:32 PM