Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Knightrunner and Utron projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Knightrunner, similar to my 1:1

Getting closer to the 1:1. Cut the honcho bed down, installed the rtt.

Now that everything is mounted up and ready, I’ll order the clear body and get the cab painted red.

Also, thinking of making a trailer out of the old bed. Shouldn’t be terrible, and will look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Just an update to the new servo. Went to one of my favorite crawling spots, there’s two very technical areas, that the truck does with ease now. Couple previous trips the links would hang up on a certain spot on a rock and with the high clearance links don’t even seem to notice.

But onto the servo. It’s bad to the bone, power for days and quick as can be. I still have issues steering. I’m gonna tear down the front end and check all the clearances with the bow house steering, make sure nothing is loose causing it to bind (get stuck). The added weight of an extra battery isn’t even noticeable, which is surprising. Definitely thought it would hinder the performance.

Also, think I’ve got stripped gears. I’m guessing it’s in the trans. If I get stuck tight enough it will click, click, click. It’s not a slipper thing either.

Looks like a tear down of the truck is needed. Probably mess with the gearing while I have to fix it anyway. Still drove into the trail and out, roughly 2 miles.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:49 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

One of the screws in the bowhouse set up came loose on me and started clicking/binding till it got loose enough I all but lost right turn. I must have forgot to loctite it. Mine also runs really close to the club5 skid sides, like possibly hit it under torque/flex.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tigris99; 02-20-2022 at 06:52 PM.
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Somethings going on with it and I will figure it out. It’s all gonna come apart, cleaned and get loctite where needed. If I need to trim anything, it’s happenin lol.

Servo plate will be here tomorrow. Gears are on the way. Going a tad bit OD/UD. It’s a trail truck crawler so I don’t want it ridiculously geared where those long trails are slow and possible to damage something.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:42 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

I thought these were slight OD front out of the box? Am I incorrect?

Old 02-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Im not a 100% sure. I just went with a little more than stock.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Default Knightrunner, similar to my 1:1

5.6% stock and 11% optional in the parts bag. (Technically, it is under driving the rear, but acts the same as over driving the front.)

Last edited by Phyro; 02-21-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
Im not a 100% sure. I just went with a little more than stock.

Let me know how it performs. Ive been debating on trying 1:1 front and rear and loosing the od/ud.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:44 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
5.6% stock and 11% optional in the parts bag. (Technically, it is under driving the rear, but acts the same as over driving the front.)

That’s what I’m going to, the 11%. I meant stock as in what’s in the trans now. I just grabbed HR ones so I can ditch the plastic stuff.

Good to know though, cause I found a few misleading posts and couldn’t figure it out. Had to get into the manual to find out.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I think I finally found the issue with my steering. I took this thing apart and checked everything. Since I was installing the bow house aluminum servo plate, I figured why not.

This appears to have been rubbing by the looks of the black scraped off. I just bent that club5 skid away from it to clear it. Compressed suspension, twisted the truck and everything trying to get it to rub again, and it didn’t. So I think that spot is good.

Then there was this. Might be hard to see but the link that attaches to the servo horn, was rubbing the top (or bottom) of the steering support. I removed all of it, checked it all, and trimmed the ball end a few mm to make sure that doesn’t touch ever again.

Every screw now has loctite on it. New servo plate to eliminate any flex from that.

The steering seems 10x better. I can now turn it even with the truck off, by hand. I couldn’t do that before. Little test drive in the house appears to be well but the real test happens when it’s on the rocks, really bound up. I’ll be very happy if it’s fixed lol.

Couldn’t pin point the click either? I tore the trans apart, no issues there. Checked every tooth of every gear. Front diff was fine too. Didn’t check the rear but the noise definitely came from up front. Will see if that is gone now too. Everything meshed together just fine.

Last edited by Jfrisch01; 02-26-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:10 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

You had the exact same issues with the steering I had. The linkage for me was the bolt started working loose for most of it. The plate flex was the rubbing/clicking I'd get sometimes. But I have steel balls in all the steering links so not as tall. I notched my skid plate. The new aluminum plate should have fixed the linkage clearance issue.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:18 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

I was gonna swap to steel balls in the links but didn’t have any shorter ones. Just taking a few mm off the plastic one gave me a good bit of clearance now. I’m hoping so at least lol. I’m done swapping servos.

I do like how the servo bolts from the top down now. Way easier to swap or pull off if needed.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Ya was liking that cause the new plate through my steering center way of in left field lol.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

When you’re wrong, you’re wrong.

I was wrong. Found the clicking I was hearing. After a trail run today that about 1/4 way into it, the truck just wouldn’t climb anymore, with the rear wheels not spinning. Still made it though a 2 mile trail though lol.

Broken teeth on the rear diff gears.

Gonna order new ones and a set of fast eddy bearings. New marine grease and it’ll be back up and running.

Also, very happy to report there are no more steering issues. When it could crawl today, the steering was fast, precise and worked when it was in a bind (both ways)

Old 03-02-2022, 06:28 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
When you’re wrong, you’re wrong.

I was wrong. Found the clicking I was hearing. After a trail run today that about 1/4 way into it, the truck just wouldn’t climb anymore, with the rear wheels not spinning. Still made it though a 2 mile trail though lol.

Broken teeth on the rear diff gears.

Gonna order new ones and a set of fast eddy bearings. New marine grease and it’ll be back up and running.

Also, very happy to report there are no more steering issues. When it could crawl today, the steering was fast, precise and worked when it was in a bind (both ways)

I had to do what you did, trim a ball because the bolt was still rubbing on the steering rack. Ditched the steel ball on that end and went plastic for now. Thanks for saying something about that would have taken me a while to catch that.

Have you found if they make better diff gears? I would have thought you'd have killed a driveshaft before eating a pinion or ring gear.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:42 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

I've gone through more than a few set of ring/pinion gears in my Enduro (really the only thing I've had trouble with). I found that the inner pinion bearing would fail and cause the pinion to have too much play causing the broken teeth. I found some Redcat bronze bushings (5x10x4, redcat #02080) of the same size that I used in place of the bearing and haven't had a failure since. I'll admit that mine has a hard body and I don't wheel it as hard anymore but it seems to be holding up for now.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I've gone through more than a few set of ring/pinion gears in my Enduro (really the only thing I've had trouble with). I found that the inner pinion bearing would fail and cause the pinion to have too much play causing the broken teeth. I found some Redcat bronze bushings (5x10x4, redcat #02080) of the same size that I used in place of the bearing and haven't had a failure since. I'll admit that mine has a hard body and I don't wheel it as hard anymore but it seems to be holding up for now.

Thanks for the info! I’ll do that once I refresh this whole thing.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:31 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

This thing is running perfect now. Does wicked lines, crawls for about 2 1/2- 3 hours on one battery with this system. By far one of my favorite rigs to wheel. Just need to adjust the oils in the shocks and I’ll be happy.

I would like to get a tad bit more approach angle. Bumpers already moved in as far as it can be. So I might try my hand at making a small, tube style bumper to match my 1:1. Light with more clearance. Don’t know if fitting a winch will be doable at the same time as getting more approach, but we’ll try.

Last edited by Jfrisch01; 04-03-2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:49 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

That thing is so bad ass. But WHERE IS THE RED??? Lol. Happy you finally got it about dialed. Was shocked to see it near water lol.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

It’s coming soon! I’ll order a clear body asap.

I am too don’t worry. Last run at castlewood the truck was cogging a lot. We ran a lot of the creek there and I thought it was toast. But it’s all good now.

I did hit the slightest stump and the steering locked up. But I only hit the metal front skid so I’m not sure what happened. Servo is locked up, the nsdrc one. So I’m sending that one in for warranty.

Knightrunner and Utron projects - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knight Runner axle swap. smc-93 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 11 10-05-2021 06:50 PM
1st build to match 1:1. Pbjeep Axial SCX10 III 31 04-11-2020 07:28 AM
JK build to match my 1:1 Numbcrawling 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 12-12-2012 09:50 AM
TTC-ish Scale-ish Budget-ish Wroncho-ish Build Meatwad Axial SCX-10 77 01-19-2012 03:00 PM
another hilux build to match my 1:1 4x4yota 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 01-06-2011 01:25 PM