Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Knightrunner and Utron projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Knightrunner, similar to my 1:1

Frisch, you're spotted

I'm headed the same direction with mine, 1/10 copy of my 1:1. Entire reason I wanted the Knightrunner.

BTW I used to do this scale stuff on a serious DIY level 10yrs ago or so (doubt any of my old builds are here anymore, mostly Jeeps). Can pick my brain if you need to. I just got everything to make a scale soft top for mine. Though still waiting on a freaking clear body kit, grrr.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Frisch, you're spotted

I'm headed the same direction with mine, 1/10 copy of my 1:1. Entire reason I wanted the Knightrunner.

BTW I used to do this scale stuff on a serious DIY level 10yrs ago or so (doubt any of my old builds are here anymore, mostly Jeeps). Can pick my brain if you need to. I just got everything to make a scale soft top for mine. Though still waiting on a freaking clear body kit, grrr.

Well hello on here lol

I’ve been in this stuff for about the same time. I got the bug really bad and went nuts. Then took a break and I’m back at it. It’s always nice to take a kid or two out on the weekend to a local park and go hiking/ trailing with the rigs. I get exercise and the boys get to play.

I think since this one I’ve collected 5 more lol. I do enjoy building these things though, it’s kinda therapeutic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jfrisch01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Finally got around to installing the club 5 stainless skids. Much better protection for the front/ undercarriage of the ifs. My plastics were getting scraped down quite a bit. These should help.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
Finally got around to installing the club 5 stainless skids. Much better protection for the front/ undercarriage of the ifs. My plastics were getting scraped down quite a bit. These should help.

That belly armor is sweet!!!

Keep posting parts so I know what places have parts for these lol.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:10 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
That belly armor is sweet!!!

Keep posting parts so I know what places have parts for these lol.

Haha. Well this one is almost done. Suspension, electronics and the rest of the non cosmetic stuff is done. I think lol

Now onto the body. Have to order a clear body and go pickup the honcho bed from a local. Then I’ll make it look like mine. I’ve got a 3D printed bumper I printed but need to clean it up and finish it.

Just check eBay, that’s where all my stuff typically comes from for this.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Semi fixed my 3D printer and decided to try and print the trd wheels. I don’t know if I’ll run them or not, probably go on another rig.

But they do look good.

Btw, Knightrunner has become my favorite trail rig. Runs like a top, crawls some pretty crazy stuff and haven’t even started on getting weight right on it. I do need to tune the shocks, with the weight it has already, it tends to ride really low in the front.

Trail run last weekend at a state park not far away. Elephant rock, lots of fun to be had here.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Elephant rock is awesome for these. Saw about 8 rigs last time we stopped in after going to the shut ins.

Reminds me, shut ins outside of Fredericktown. You'd have a blast with scale rigs there too.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Absolutely. Shut ins is a great place. We try and go when it’s hot. Crawling and swimming, makes for a good time.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:00 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Well this bed took 60 hours. Lots of support. Yes I could have printed it separately and probably should have. Once it was done I attempted to take off the supports carefully, that didn’t work. Spilt it in two and broke the headache rack. Huge pita.

Spent some time fixing it and reinforcing it and it’s decent. It’s not as wide as I’d like, but the length is good.

Removed shock towers, mounted shocks two holes forward. Cut down the rear bumper, used the “lip” for the end of the bed to sit on and now it has a hitch and some sort of bumper.

I’m gonna finish with, this won’t stay, it will probably break the first time out. Just a bored thought that I brought to life.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:47 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Oh that's bad a$$!!! Even if it's weak for this type of use it still looks sweet as hell.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:31 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Got the club 5 high clearance links installed. Decent clearance added to the rear.

Had to also replace an output from the front diff and fix 2 broken ends on the knuckles, for the steering. Totally my fault.

Only complaint, and I’m not a huge complainer, but the rod end to end links are “wobbly”. The rod ends fit very well to the link and seem to be HD. Plus side, they are metal compared to the stock plastic ball.

May or may not destroy the rear driveshaft, we’ll see.

Ready for this weekends outing

Still need to tune the rear shocks. This is a little lower than it normally sits, due to moving the rear shocks forward for the bed.

Are the unpainted bodies available yet?? Geeez

Old 01-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Man you need to run and get a can of red krylon, some masking tape and just go for it over the outside. We ain't seeing clear bodies now till at least april.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Mannn I just can’t do that lol. I’ve done it before, terrible. Paint comes off so quick.

I’ll wait, I’m in no hurry. This body is just getting beat up. I want to make some body armor, exo cage type armor. Might get on that next week.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:27 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Ya it does wear off fairly easy. Also why I wasn't overly perfect on masking and such. Though the more I look at mine, the more I'm debating on painting the fender flares black. Too plain on the sides.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:49 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

High clearance rear links really helped. Walked right up a spot today that was giving everyone trouble, including me with my other rig.

Bed is still in one piece. I’m actually surprised. Took a few rolls with it too.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Default Knightrunner, similar to my 1:1

I have tried everything to fix the steering on this thing. 2 different servos, all claiming 400+ oz torque. Still no changes and it’s a pain to try and do difficult lines. It all has to do with the weight and size of tires I’m sure.

But this time we’re gonna slap in a direct power servo that claims 515-905 oz torque. I plan on running it on a small 3s battery.

Bed is hanging on but the headache rack and side rails have been ripped off. I printed new ones so that’s easy enough to fasten back to the bed.

Still want to make it look like my 1:1 but the honcho bed doesn’t look right on this body without major work to it. I think I’ll end up just building one with Lexan.

Anyhooo, the high clearance links never disappoint. Can get up step ups a lot better than before. I do need more weight in the front so I’m going to move the esc to the lowest point I can in the back and put the 3s small battery up front to keep the front end down. If that doesn’t work I was thinking a servo winch would add enough weight to help.

Last edited by Jfrisch01; 02-16-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

I've noticed this rig requires more of its steering servo than regular straight axle. Too much loss and flex in steering system. They need to come up with an aluminum version of the frame plate for running bigger tires an high torque servos. I watched things flex testing the Amazon high torque servo I'm trying now.

The front weight issue is one I'm seeing as well, too much weight shift to the back combined with front springs being stout enough to support the extra weight of the IFS. Once cg shifts back on a climb the springs push up too easily.

For weight, IIRC there is room to use sticky weights under the factory plastic front skid.

Another thing is getting weight ahead of the shocks, so front bumper area. Be much more helpful than even with or behind the front shocks. So maybe sticky weights inside the back of the bumper. Definitely try to keep from adding weight behind the mid point of the rig unless you offset it upfront otherwise will increase your problem.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:00 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Most definitely. I’m gonna work on the weight ratio as soon as the new (funny you mentioned it) bow house aluminum servo plate comes in. Move things around and get it more to the 60/40 mark. I think now I’m like 80/20 lol

I also did a thing with the honcho bed. Got it to fit, which was surprisingly easy. Cut the bed up a bit to clear the frame rails. I just need to chop the cage part down to match my 1:1. Will need to run a full headache rack though just for strength. That part won’t match my 1:1 but it’s needed for the bed to not flop around.

Might need to test the shocks in different spots as these are now moved back vs forward like they were before.

I did drop in a NSDRC servo. Seems to do the trick, I’ll know more once I get it on the rocks. Direct power is pretty cool, the added weight might be hard to work with, as I run a 2200 3s on the sliders now. We’ll see.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:12 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Ok that's looks freaking awesome!

I didn't know bowhouse made a plate. And to think, I thought I was finally done ordering parts for mine lol.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:15 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Default Knightrunner, similar to my 1:1

Haha me too. I ran across it looking for the dsm servo winch mount. Found that plate and ordered it. I’ve always noticed the servo shifting side to side when the wheels are on the ground. So I have hopes that will take care of it.

I check eBay and google all the time for new parts that come out for these trucks. Sometimes I get lucky and find one lol

Last edited by Jfrisch01; 02-17-2022 at 06:20 AM.

Knightrunner and Utron projects - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knight Runner axle swap. smc-93 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 11 10-05-2021 06:50 PM
1st build to match 1:1. Pbjeep Axial SCX10 III 31 04-11-2020 07:28 AM
JK build to match my 1:1 Numbcrawling 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 12-12-2012 09:50 AM
TTC-ish Scale-ish Budget-ish Wroncho-ish Build Meatwad Axial SCX-10 77 01-19-2012 03:00 PM
another hilux build to match my 1:1 4x4yota 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 01-06-2011 01:25 PM