Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Knightrunner and Utron projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Knightrunner and Utron projects

First impression, things pretty close to real!

Been a while since I’ve even touched my rc collection but once I saw this truck come out, I wanted to get my hands on one. I currently have an 2018 tacoma that I wheel with regularly and wanted a 1/10 version for a while to build up kinda like mine (with exceptions). 1:1 info and photo below.

1:1 info if interested:

37s
Arb locker in rear
Tacobox (Marlin crawler)
Warfab armor
Custom built bed (by me)
Avid sliders
Snorkel
Plasti dipped entire truck matte red
Currently working on a 1uz swap for it. Blew the motor at Windrock on trail 15

So onto the rc. I need to grab a clear body so I can paint mine red to match. I did swap out the electronics already, castle sensored setup (copperhead) 2250kv motor and protek servo. Threw a set of incision wheels on it and proline swampers (g8- 4.3”). Tires are just slightly larger than stock. Required a bit of trimming to the fenders.

Front trim

Rear trim

Wires are a mess, I’ll fix later

Definitely needs the bow house stuff to fix the steering. It’s really sloppy. Going to get a bunch of stuff for it to make it even better! Love it so far.

Did throw some zip ties on the rear body post clips to be able to take them off with the rtt attached. You can get them back on with a bit of a steady hand too. May not be for everyone but it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jfrisch01; 10-30-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Knight runner to match(ish) 1:1 build

Cool looking 1:1, sorry you had trouble at Windrock. I live about 45 minutes from there, and my wife just got a JL Rubi that we will wheel up there with my buddy that drives a JT.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Cool looking 1:1, sorry you had trouble at Windrock. I live about 45 minutes from there, and my wife just got a JL Rubi that we will wheel up there with my buddy that drives a JT.

It’s all good! I had a blast. Love it at windrock. Way different wheeling than here in Missouri.

What an experience spending 2-3 hours on those trails, vs 20-30 mins here.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've spent many days out there wheeling!! We usually hit trail 2 or 3 at first, then hit trail 19 at some point during the day. my biggest complaint is that if you go just to use the RC crawler course (which isn't that good) they still charge the same day fee!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I've spent many days out there wheeling!! We usually hit trail 2 or 3 at first, then hit trail 19 at some point during the day. my biggest complaint is that if you go just to use the RC crawler course (which isn't that good) they still charge the same day fee!

I think I’ve done maybe 8-10 trails there lol. But I dig the place.

That’s a bummer because I always want to hit that crawler course but leave the cars at home!

Old 10-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Knight runner to match(ish) 1:1 build

Putting parts on the truck.

Shout out rpphobby. If you want stuff quick, order from them.

Bowhouse steering slop parts

Axial 12mm hexes (alum)

Removed the plastic ones. Have to drill out the axial ones with a 13/64 bit to clear the stub out on the truck. Have to use the included pins too, stock ones are a 1/32 too long.

Beef tubes weights

They really do have the beef (suck it Arby’s)

More on the way. Ordered an ssd diff cover for the enduro and ssd brass knuckles for the enduro.

Charging batteries right now to take it on its first run

Last edited by Jfrisch01; 10-30-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

All installed. Wish I bought more to install. Have a new winch to figure out how to mount but after finding a servo winch mount I may just do it that way.

Much better steering angles and can’t feel the slop anymore.

Tucked the bumper in a bit. More approach angle. Free and easy mod.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Knightrunner, similar to my 1:1

Parts are arriving

Lowered the stock front shocks down as low as I could. Installed all the internal spring shocks and realized that 1:1s have coil over shocks, so stuck the stock shocks back on the front and left the desert lizards on back. I will eventually cut the flares off of it like my 1:1. Being that the 1:1 is on a 3” lift and 37s this appears to be pretty close. Body to tire size ratio.

Put on the ssd diff cover, perfect fit no problems

Installed the ssd knuckles, fit is perfect for stock. If you have the bowhouse steering stops, you have to trim a tiny bit on the inside to clear the top of the knuckle.

Now just waiting on front fender liners, and pod lights for the windshield like my 1:1. Ditch lights as we call them. Gonna get a clear body and honcho bed (if I can find one) and make it look similar to my bed.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

First thought- desert lizards are not for this truck. Need tuned and barely hold the truck up. Guy at the hobby shop said they are great. It’s alright I’ll run them and tune them or I’ll just sell them.

Got the inner fenders in from club5 for the sendero hd. Fit perfectly, nothing needed. Saves you a bit of money vs the knight customs. No problem with KC but I’m cheap.

*the screws are sticking through because they come with covers if you do not have the rock lights. I’ll snag some because why not.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Those inner fenders are looking really good!

Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Those inner fenders are looking really good!

I dig em.

I didn’t realize they were 3D printed but pretty legit for $30!

Old 11-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

First adventure with the truck today. Drives great, the castle system is sooo smooth. Do need to turn up the drag brake, creeps a bit.

The suspension actually performed very well, so my desert lizard statement may be retracted. They work well. I could probably tune them a bit but today I’m happy with them.

Drove through quite a bit of water too, the fenders were a must have. Kept the esc from being splashed the entire time.

Lost a mirror, the hole the pin goes through is very thin, ripped it right off. Gotta fix that.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I thought the stock foams that proline tires come with would work good on this truck but I was wrong. I’m gonna get a pair of lil nova 4.0 foams with the medium outer, to accommodate some of the weight. Should put the traction down where this tires can work like they should.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Couple trail runs under its belt and I’m still impressed with the scale-ism and performance.

However, parts are literally falling off lol. Mirror and snorkel fell off this last trip. Gonna have fo secure those better.

Those wheel weights help a lot keeping it planted though!

Old 11-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Getting frustrated with the steering on this thing. It seems as though it has something to do with the ifs but I could be wrong. Anyone else have an issue with it “stopping” in one direction? It will correct it’s self when I back up or go forward. But it is hard to do technical lines due to this. Wheels get locked it seems in one way or the other and takes a bit of finesse to get it to turn the other way. Running a protek servo btw, it was bought new for this truck and has done it ever since.

Snorkel came off again. This time I’m gonna 3m tape it and screw it into the body from the inside.

It’s fun but want the steering fixed lol.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:23 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Sounds like too weak a servo for the conditions. Stock servos in RTRs tend to be fine for driving around, but too weak in tougher terrain.

You mentioned it was a ProTek servo, but which one? How much voltage is it receiving? Do you have an external BEC?
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

That’s what I was thinking. I’m gonna be honest electronics are not my specialty lol.

So I don’t know what model protek it is, it was like $50 at the local hobby shop. I can look when I get home. No external bec, every time I run one, I have crazy electronic issues. I’ve even had a buddy who runs one all the time hook it up and still had issues.

I was honestly gonna just get a new servo and see if that takes care of it. This one is also very slow

Old 11-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Could be a ProTek RC100T… that’s about $50. Assuming your ESC is giving 6 volt it’s only about 216oz/in of torque. Perfectly fine for just driving around, but will get stuck in tough maneuvering.

Most people are running 500 oz/in minimum. I use a ProTek 370TBL in a couple of rigs with about 650 oz/In at my voltage and it works well. I do need an external BEC though. I’m gonna use one of the Holmes servos in a rig this winter. Quite a bit cheaper than the ProTek, but more power especially in the SHV-800.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

It was a protek 100. I swapped it out. We will see how it does.

Found a roof rack that mimics the stock one my truck has. It’s from club5. Pretty neat little piece.

Also ditched the small 1.9s for the larger hyraxs and I don’t even care. Long wheel base shouldn’t get hung up so much. Tweaked the castle system as well, just to have a better drag and more speed. Glued and screwed the snorkel on too. Maybe it won’t come off anymore.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Servo swap was good. No more steering issues. Should have figured that out before but it was brand new with semi decent torque. Crazy what being out of the hobby for a few years does. Now with a servo that has 400+oz torque vs the ones I used to use (250-300ish torque). I thought they were good but just not with this rig.

The slightly taller tire helps a ton with this thing. It crawled well before now it’s even better. Trimmed the fenders and put 100mm shocks on it (they need new shock oil bad) takes care of the clearance too.

Now to make it resemble my 1:1. Honcho back half and red cab. I’ll probably try my hand at making a bumper for it as well.

Knightrunner and Utron projects - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knight Runner axle swap. smc-93 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 11 10-05-2021 06:50 PM
1st build to match 1:1. Pbjeep Axial SCX10 III 31 04-11-2020 07:28 AM
JK build to match my 1:1 Numbcrawling 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 12-12-2012 09:50 AM
TTC-ish Scale-ish Budget-ish Wroncho-ish Build Meatwad Axial SCX-10 77 01-19-2012 03:00 PM
another hilux build to match my 1:1 4x4yota 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 01-06-2011 01:25 PM