Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 08:24 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build

I printed mine out in PETG. It's holding up fine. I just released a running video this morning on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited by soze; 03-07-2022 at 08:26 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2022, 09:16 AM   #42
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I printed mine out in PETG. It's holding up fine. I just released a running video this morning on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Great vid showing off the IFS clearance! If PLA doesn't hold up, I may look into the PETG material.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #43
Go Buckeyes!

Took a few steps forward and some backwards on G-E-K! <(GK-Ecto-Knightrunner)

So I thought I was having some binding in the front driveshaft when I cycled the suspension. I noticed that something was stopping it from going to full compression. I immediately thought that alum center piece in the driveshaft was too long. So I cut about 5mm off of the length and reinstalled it. Come to find out, the driveshaft was hitting the bottom of the battery tray. Duhh! See second pic:

Name:  IMG_8213 (2).jpg
Views: 670
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8214 (2).jpg
Views: 645
Size:  91.5 KB

Took the battery tray off and Dremeled a spot on the tray to allow for the driveshaft to clear when suspension is at full compression.

While I had the tray off, I notched out an area so that when the front shocks are installed in the rear mounting hole the shocks clear the battery tray.

Name:  IMG_8215 (2).jpg
Views: 653
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8216 (2).jpg
Views: 650
Size:  125.4 KB

Installed the front shocks in the rear mounting hole. Clearance problem solved!

Name:  IMG_8217 (2).jpg
Views: 642
Size:  144.3 KB

More on the way later. Temporary body getting cut and installed.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:47 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

The front-center driveshaft problem will completely "go away" once the IFS Kit is installed, as that driveshaft will be in a 'fixed' position.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
All this is missing is a scale hacksaw!
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #46
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The front-center driveshaft problem will completely "go away" once the IFS Kit is installed, as that driveshaft will be in a 'fixed' position.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Yeah it will. I was just shocked that the driveshaft was hitting the tray. I don't have that problem on my other Enduro's. Well, at least I don't think so.

Note: IFS kit is in the house! Later down the road I'll be posting the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
All this is missing is a scale hacksaw!
I'll have to get me a tiny hacksaw to hang over my tiny workbench! I'm just glad I didn't have to cut it with a scale hacksaw!
Old 03-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #47
Go Buckeyes!

I decided to steal the Pro-Line Power Wagon body from another GSpeed build that I am currently working on until the clear Ecto body is back in stock. I got it cut out, trying to save a portion of the front fenders, but I'm not sure if I will be able to since I have the body sitting so low. I'm afraid once I install bigger 1.9 tires that they will rub the body. I guess I'll find out later.

I cut out the inside of the bed so that the Rock Pirate RC shock towers would clear and also cut out a section so that the rear sway bar would have room to cycle up into the bed area. Also did a bob on the bed to shorten it up a bit.

Name:  IMG_8229 (2).jpg
Views: 623
Size:  181.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8230 (2).jpg
Views: 600
Size:  177.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8231 (2).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8232 (2).jpg
Views: 596
Size:  179.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8233 (2).jpg
Views: 597
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8234 (2).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  178.1 KB
Old 03-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Is that your method of holding the bobbed piece into place? Or do you paint both separately then glue them together? I always wondered what the cleanest method was for lexan bodies.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:58 PM   #49
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Is that your method of holding the bobbed piece into place? Or do you paint both separately then glue them together? I always wondered what the cleanest method was for lexan bodies.
This is my first bob on a lexan body, so this is how I'm going to do it. It may not be the right way or best way, but this is what I plan to do.

I'm going to paint the pieces separately, then bolt them together with screws. The pieces don't exactly fit together perfectly, so bolting them should hold them together securely so that they don't come apart.

Pics of it painted coming up in a bit.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Old Power Wagon, exposed screws or bolts on the body, period correct lol.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:34 PM   #51
Go Buckeyes!

I just about forgot to show the electronics I plan to use, so here is a look at what I plan to run at the moment. I had to rob from Paul to pay Peter or something like that! Since my Capra is now in pieces (axles got stolen to put in another GSpeed build), I'm going to use it's power plant to give life to the G-E-K.

It'll be a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 540 16T motor paired with a Hobbywing 1080 ESC. For the money, these two are hard to beat and they perform very well together. Not exactly sure on the pinion size, but I will be keeping the 48 pitch gearing in it. I love how quiet the 48P gearing is.

Also, as you'll see in the pics, I stole the wheels and tires from my TRX-4 Sport for now until I decide which wheel and tire package I want to go with. A set of Vanquish 1.9 Method Roost with 475 hubs mounted on a set of Canyon Trail tires cut and siped. For a stock tire, these perform very well!

Everything mounted up beside the servo. I'll eventually use Conformal Coating to waterproof the receiver so that I don't have to run a waterproof receiver box. Though I do try not to run in water when ever possible.

Name:  IMG_8202.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8241.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  181.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8242.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  181.1 KB
Old 03-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #52
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Old Power Wagon, exposed screws or bolts on the body, period correct lol.
Yes sir!
Old 03-11-2022, 07:55 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah it will. I was just shocked that the driveshaft was hitting the tray. I don't have that problem on my other Enduro's. Well, at least I don't think so.

Its very likely the shock towers, you've just lowered the thing a bit.

Oh and that reminds me I lowered my Gatekeeper and the rear of the frame was fouling on the (axle) link mounts. You might check there too. I chopped a corner out of the link mounts to clear, just gave up a bit of thread engagement.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-11-2022 at 07:58 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Looking great Brian. I’m officially jealous of the grey roosts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #55
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Its very likely the shock towers, you've just lowered the thing a bit.

Oh and that reminds me I lowered my Gatekeeper and the rear of the frame was fouling on the (axle) link mounts. You might check there too. I chopped a corner out of the link mounts to clear, just gave up a bit of thread engagement.
You may be on to something! It's odd. On my Sendero, with Samix alum shock towers, I can stuff the axle all the way up until the axle hits the servo and the driveshaft still has a tiny bit of space before it hits the battery tray. I'll have to take a closer look and do some measuring.

I do see what you mean on the rear axle. The link mounts on mine do bottom out on the chassis rails. I'll have to give mine a chop also. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #56
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Looking great Brian. I’m officially jealous of the grey roosts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey thanks!

Yeah, knowing what I know now, these Roost will be forever in my possession! I'm still bummed VP quit making them!
Old 03-11-2022, 09:04 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You may be on to something! It's odd. On my Sendero, with Samix alum shock towers, I can stuff the axle all the way up until the axle hits the servo and the driveshaft still has a tiny bit of space before it hits the battery tray. I'll have to take a closer look and do some measuring.

I do see what you mean on the rear axle. The link mounts on mine do bottom out on the chassis rails. I'll have to give mine a chop also. Thanks for the tip!

this is what I ended up with,

SSD brass link mounts

I actually made a 3D printable jig so you can cut it with a hacksaw In case you have metal link mounts.

Let me know and I can post it up on Thingiverse

You could just cut the whole top off if you're committed to sticking with trailing arms too.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-11-2022 at 09:13 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:11 AM   #58
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
this is what I ended up with,

I actually made a 3D printable jig so you can cut it with a hacksaw In case you have metal link mounts.

Let me know and I can post it up on Thingiverse

You could just cut the whole top off if you're committed to sticking with trailing arms too.
Thanks for the info! At the moment I still have the stock plastic link mounts on it. I'll just cut the top of them off.

I do want to get a set of metal link mounts in the future though. When I do make the switch, I'll probably just cut the top off of them too. I don't see any reason to switch back to links on this rig.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:05 AM   #59
Go Buckeyes!

So back to the Power Wagon body. I decided on this one I would paint it on the outside and let the rocks, sticks and nature weather it as I drive it.

I'll be using Tamiya PS-12 Silver for the color on the inside of the body. On the outside I'll be trying the new Traxxas ProGraphix paint. I like that these paints come in a bigger can than the Tamiya paints.

Name:  IMG_8235.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8240.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  177.5 KB

And here it is pre-decaled. I used the outside film to mask off the windows. I painted the bottom half black first and then taped it off and sprayed the Metallic Blue next.

I then cut the outside film to expose the silver that was sprayed on the inside around the windows. I then used a black Sharpie to add the body lines and window gutter. Then a couple coats of the Traxxas Matte Finish to seal everything up and give it a duller look.

As it gets scratched up, I'll add some streaks of rust to the scratches to give a worn and weathered look.

Name:  IMG_8244.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  179.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8245.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8246.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  172.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8247.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  173.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8248.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  176.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8249.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8250.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  179.9 KB

I still need to get the rear of the body mounted. I'm not too sure yet if the bed will work the way it is. Even with the wide 475 hubs, the tires want to rub on the bed when the suspension is flexed. I may have to narrow the bed up a bit to get the clearance that is needed. I'm not really wanting to do that just yet.

I may hold off on chopping this body up and just wait tor the clear Ecto body to come back in stock. This Power Wagon body was originally supposed to go on my GSpeed V3 rig with the stolen Capra axles. With the width of them axles, I would not have to do any chopping to the bed to give clearance for the tires. Decisions, decisions!!!
Old 03-12-2022, 07:38 AM   #60
Slow is the new Fast

Very nice B. I think you can forget about the Ecto body, this is looking sharp, sexy and mean.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gatekeeper kit + Knightrunner Tacoma body Build Goro Majima Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 69 11-29-2023 08:20 AM
KnightRunner Build Scale Build Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 11 11-14-2021 11:28 PM
Element enduro knightrunner Rcchris General Crawlers 0 09-16-2021 08:27 PM
Test drive of Element Ecto JMHZ2401 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 10 08-20-2021 05:57 PM
Element Ecto Trail SteveB1 General Crawlers 6 07-11-2021 02:23 PM