Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2022, 08:45 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I did reprint the mounts at an angle to use if the originals don’t hold up. I thought printing at an angle may help with cracking in that spot. Jus a thought. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now there's an idea. I might have to print a set like that and try to break them on purpose to see how they hold up.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #82
Go Buckeyes!

A few parts have arrived and I started working on adapting the GKS trailing arms to the Knightrunner sliders.

Name:  IMG_8356 (2).jpg
Views: 542
Size:  179.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8357 (2).jpg
Views: 542
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8358 (2).jpg
Views: 535
Size:  178.7 KB

I cut off the trailing arm mount off of the stock GK sliders. I used my Dremel to sand the surfaces smooth so that I could fit them into the KR sliders.

Name:  IMG_8360 (2).jpg
Views: 539
Size:  180.5 KB

Marked out where the trailing arm mount will be and cut out and sanded the KR slider.

Name:  IMG_8361 (2).jpg
Size:  179.0 KB

Mounted the sliders and trailing arms to the chassis rails. All fits good and has a solid mount. Not the prettiest fit, but it will get the job done!

Name:  IMG_8362 (2).jpg
Views: 536
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8363 (2).jpg
Size:  131.7 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:16 AM   #83
Go Buckeyes!

Made some good progress on the GK-Knightrunner this past weekend. I was able to get the Element IFS installed into the chassis.

Here's one more pic showing the modified Knightrunner floor boards and GKS trailing arm mounts. Like I said previously, not the prettiest cuts, but it all fits and operates like it should.

Name:  IMG_8369 (2).jpg
Views: 509
Size:  160.4 KB

Picked up the stock Knightrunner sliders. Nothing fancy with these, but they do have a slot built into them to hold the edge of the body in.

Name:  IMG_8364 (2).jpg
Views: 511
Size:  179.4 KB

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure. IFS installed into the chassis without issue. Also a few pics of the rear suspension.

Name:  IMG_8366 (2).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8367 (2).jpg
Views: 506
Size:  160.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8370 (2).jpg
Views: 502
Size:  176.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8368 (2).jpg
Views: 501
Size:  175.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8371 (2).jpg
Views: 490
Size:  136.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8365 (2).jpg
Views: 500
Size:  180.1 KB

Next up will be adding the Bowhouse RC steering rack and bell cranks.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Looking good, Brian...tho, I would have installed the Bowhouse parts before installing the IFS front end into the chassis (you'll have to completely remove the front end to install those parts, then reinstall into the chassis once the Bowhouse parts are installed).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:44 AM   #85
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Looking good, Brian...tho, I would have installed the Bowhouse parts before installing the IFS front end into the chassis (you'll have to completely remove the front end to install those parts, then reinstall into the chassis once the Bowhouse parts are installed).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Thanks Panther!

Your right about waiting to install it. I was impatient and installed the IFS before the Bowhouse parts arrived.

There are problems with the Bowhouse parts and I'll explain in my next episode/post.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #86
Go Buckeyes!

Next up is installing the Bowhouse steering fix.

I also picked up the Enduro hard shock mounts. I figured since the rig has the gray "hard" plastic theme in it that I may as well make the shock towers match.

Name:  IMG_8397 (2).jpg
Views: 489
Size:  179.9 KB

Here is both the Bowhouse RC steering rack and bell crank parts to fix the slop and bump steer found in the stock IFS setup. The parts are anodized aluminum and the steering rack also comes with 3D printed bump stops.

Name:  IMG_8399 (2).jpg
Views: 481
Size:  179.1 KB

After installing both sets of steering upgrades, I found out the alum steering rack put the tie rod links too low and caused massive bump steer issues. I even added spacers to the knuckles to lower the links. You can see in these 2 pics how far uneven the links are compared to the top a-arms. As I said, when the suspension was cycled, there was massive bump steer.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the IFS has the Knight Customs 3D printed lowering parts. The Bowhouse steering rack does not work in this setup, but does work extremely well when used with the stock Element IFS setup without the lowering parts.

Name:  IMG_8400 (2).jpg
Views: 488
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8401 (2).jpg
Views: 479
Size:  178.8 KB

So to fix the bump steer caused by the Bowhouse steering rack, I decided to go back to the stock steering rack to see if it would help with the bump steer.

By removing the BH steering rack and installing the stock metal rack, the links are more closely in line with the a-arms. I stole a tip from Tekin Builds that he has previously posted in his Bronco build thread and applied it here. Ty's tip is to add a 6mm spacer on the knuckle to lower the links to put them in line with the top a-arms. By adding the spacer, the suspension know cycles better and eliminates most of the extreme bump steer that it had. Thanks for the tip Ty!

Name:  IMG_8402 (2).jpg
Views: 477
Size:  177.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8403 (2).jpg
Views: 495
Size:  168.8 KB

So to be clear, I am not using the Bowhouse steering rack, but I am using the Bowhouse alum bell cranks. The bell cranks do work with the Knight Customs 3D printed lowering parts. The bell crank does take out most of the slop that was found in the stock plastic bell cranks.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 04-04-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

In other words, it looks like people have to go with either the Bowhouse upgrades, OR the Knight Customs upgrades, but NOT both. I'm sure there will probably be those who will disagree with what I'm about to say...but, everyone is entitled to their own opinion (so, for those who oppose my thoughts, is accept your thoughts).

Personally, between these two choices, I feel the Bowhouse road is the better road to travel. Yes, the KC route does increase clearance...but, I'm thinking the 3D-printed parts (no matter what the material) would never be as strong as the original plastic parts. As for the steering, likewise, the aluminum parts from Bowhouse should not only remove 99% of the steering problems of the original parts, but also provides a much stronger strong solution.

Whichever road anyone chooses to go, at least you know you'll be ending up with something better than the 'factory' IFS...and,b that's what matter most, right?

Old 04-05-2022, 04:30 AM   #88
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
In other words, it looks like people have to go with either the Bowhouse upgrades, OR the Knight Customs upgrades, but NOT both.
I hear what you are saying. The Bowhouse upgrades has worked out well for my Trailwalker with IFS. The Bowhouse items greatly improved the steering and removed the bump steer and sloppiness. Though the ground clearance up front is lacking with the 1.55 tires. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to wheel and choosing the correct line/path is challenging.

BUT, after installing the KC lowering parts on this rig and seeing how much the ground clearance has improved, I'm really liking how it is looking. And yeah, I think your right about the strength of the 3D printed mounts. It would be nice if someone down the road would make these available in an aluminum option. The good news is with the KC upgrades, the Bowhouse bell cranks can still be used and that is where a lot of the sloppy steering was coming from. IMO the Bowhouse steering rack is not that important in this configuration since the stock steering rack is already metal.

Time will tell how it all holds up. As I've said before, I don't plan on bashing or driving this rig very hard, so I think the 3D prints just might hold up. If not, I'll always have a set ready to swap out.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #89
Go Buckeyes!

New day, new updates!

I'll be running the same motor that I have in my GK-Ecto. These motors are smooth and can be had at a great price. Also picked up a Pro-Tek pinion gear. I'll start out with an 18T, but may go down a couple teeth once I get it on the rocks.

Name:  IMG_8372 (2).jpg
Views: 427
Size:  177.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8373 (2).jpg
Views: 442
Size:  169.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8374 (2).jpg
Views: 434
Size:  147.7 KB

Purchased the stock Knightrunner bumper set. I plan on modifying these to match the look that I am going for.

Name:  IMG_8375 (2).jpg
Views: 428
Size:  180.5 KB

And a few pics of how it sits now.

I forgot to mention the shocks and servo that is currently installed. For now I'll be running a cheapy Amazon servo because that's all I have on hand at the moment. It will eventually get a name brand more powerful servo.

The shocks are the stock GK shocks with the bronze shock bodies. I have them setup the same way as the GK-Ecto build with the Hot Racing bleeder caps. I would have used CODYBOY's shock tip on these, but I already had the HR caps ordered and on the way. The front shock springs are the black springs that come with the IFS kit.

Name:  IMG_8405 (2).jpg
Views: 443
Size:  184.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8406 (2).jpg
Views: 431
Size:  154.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8407 (2).jpg
Size:  183.2 KB

Next up I'll be working on getting the KC inner fenders installed.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #90
Go Buckeyes!

Next on the list is getting the Knight Customs 3D printed inner fenders and rear floor board attachments that are found on Mymininfactory. These are straight off the 3D printer and will need a good filing and sanding. The plan is to shoot these with a couple coats of flat black paint after the sanding to give them a more real look.

Name:  IMG_8414 (2).jpg
Views: 431
Size:  168.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8415 (2).jpg
Views: 423
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8413 (2).jpg
Size:  105.1 KB

These are the rear floor boards that attach to the rear of the Element stock floor boards. Since I have modified the stock floor boards to use with the GKS trailing arm mounts, I had to modify the rear floor boards to fit.

Name:  IMG_8408 (2).jpg
Size:  156.5 KB

I Dremeled out part of the side to fit around the rear shock tower. Also put a slight bevel on the rear of the floor board to give clearance for the rear shock spring.

The rear floor board is designed to mount with two screws, but I was only able to mount them with one screw and nut. I think the one screw will be enough to hold it in place since it fits snug around the bottom mount on the shock tower.

Name:  IMG_8409 (2).jpg
Size:  150.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8410 (2).jpg
Views: 422
Size:  157.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8412 (2).jpg
Views: 424
Size:  121.4 KB
Old 04-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. The Bowhouse upgrades has worked out well for my Trailwalker with IFS. The Bowhouse items greatly improved the steering and removed the bump steer and sloppiness. Though the ground clearance up front is lacking with the 1.55 tires. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to wheel and choosing the correct line/path is challenging.

BUT, after installing the KC lowering parts on this rig and seeing how much the ground clearance has improved, I'm really liking how it is looking. And yeah, I think your right about the strength of the 3D printed mounts. It would be nice if someone down the road would make these available in an aluminum option. The good news is with the KC upgrades, the Bowhouse bell cranks can still be used and that is where a lot of the sloppy steering was coming from. IMO the Bowhouse steering rack is not that important in this configuration since the stock steering rack is already metal.

Time will tell how it all holds up. As I've said before, I don't plan on bashing or driving this rig very hard, so I think the 3D prints just might hold up. If not, I'll always have a set ready to swap out.
I was reading Ty from Tekin's build thread and was immediately bummed, cause my Gatekeeper kit/Ecto body build has got nearly all the Bowhouse, Knight Customs, AND Artful Dodgers upgrades either here or on the way...

And the Artful Dodgers front end armor I ordered (all the way from Poland!) is designed specifically for the Knight Customs geometry... (argh!)

That's OK, though - at my usual glacial build pace I won't be final-assembling until there's even more input from builders that have figured out the best kit-bash.

I'm also pretty sure I'll build mine with solid axles first, and then decide if I truly want IFS on it or on my standard Enduro Sendero - or just to sell those parts off.

My solid axles will have a lot of upgrades, too.

It's so great to read and watch your informative build thread, B-MOW - and I appreciate you and Ty engineering your way through the compatibility issues!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:18 AM   #92
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I was reading Ty from Tekin's build thread and was immediately bummed...
Yeah, I was bummed too to find out that the Bowhouse rack didn't work. I do want to get an order into Artful Dodgers. They have some cool stuff for the Element rigs. I suppose I better get that order in cause I'm sure it may take awhile to get here from overseas.

Your usual glacial build pace is similar to my way of building! I sometimes try to take my time and then hurry to get it done. Then the new build may sit for months before I'm able to get it out on the dirt. I now have 4 rigs that still haven't seen real Earth dirt since I built them over the winter.

I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad you find what I type interesting!
Old 04-06-2022, 06:22 AM   #93
Go Buckeyes!

Another photo dump of the GK-Knightrunner in its current state.

Added an alum bracket to the battery tray to route the wires over the trans. I've used this method on all of my Element rigs and it works out well. Once I get the electronics installed, you'll see how it works.

Also printed a HW 1080 ESC mount and attached it to the floor board. I forget who designed it, but it can be found on Thingiverse. I've used this on my other Element rigs and it works well.

Name:  IMG_8416 (2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  179.2 KB

Top view of how she looks now.

Name:  IMG_8417 (2).jpg
Views: 405
Size:  181.6 KB

Here's what I came up with to mount the rear of the Knightrunner body. Since I'm using the GKS rear trailing arms, the shock tower is farther forward than where the stock shock tower sits that holds the body mounts. This method sets the body post further back and helps support the body better. These alum mounts are the Rock Pirates RC body post mounts. I'm also using these on my GK-Ecto build and are mounted on the front shock towers.

Name:  IMG_8418 (2).jpg
Views: 408
Size:  142.3 KB

And a few other views.

Name:  IMG_8419 (2).jpg
Views: 406
Size:  178.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8420 (2).jpg
Size:  159.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8424 (2).jpg
Size:  181.6 KB
Old 04-06-2022, 06:50 AM   #94
RCC Addict

It’s looking great Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

I'm sitting my wires under the battery tray, and then I had planned on routing then around the trans (along the running boards)...but, I like your aluminum plate idea. I'll have to take a look, and see if it'll work on my GK (remember, I've installed the Rx box in the GK's rear shock tower cross-brace).

As for your rear body mount mod, was planning on doing the same thing with my Phoenix, for the cab (since I'm not using the Phoenix rear cage, or side panels). Wish they were available in black...but, I can probably 'resolve' that myself.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:46 AM   #96
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I'm sitting my wires under the battery tray, and then I had planned on routing then around the trans (along the running boards)...but, I like your aluminum plate idea.
I had to dig deep, but here’s my Trailwalker using the bracket. You could maybe use something similar on your GK.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:47 AM   #97
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
It’s looking great Brian

Thanks Tom!

Old 04-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks Tom!

Admittedly, I’m easily influenced on rc stuff, but all these element builds have me considering getting one again.

I have a gatekeeper set up for my son, but don’t feel like I should get too carried away with it. Maybe a gatekeeper kit might get stashed away for a future project.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #99
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Admittedly, I’m easily influenced on rc stuff, but all these element builds have me considering getting one again.

I have a gatekeeper set up for my son, but don’t feel like I should get too carried away with it. Maybe a gatekeeper kit might get stashed away for a future project.

I think your on to something! I think it would be a good idea to get a GK Kit and save it for a rainy day!

Especially since they are so cheap now! These kits can be transformed into so many things!
Old 04-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I had to dig deep, but here’s my Trailwalker using the bracket. You could maybe use something similar on your GK.

Looks like it "works" to me.

B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gatekeeper kit + Knightrunner Tacoma body Build Goro Majima Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 69 11-29-2023 08:20 AM
KnightRunner Build Scale Build Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 11 11-14-2021 11:28 PM
Element enduro knightrunner Rcchris General Crawlers 0 09-16-2021 08:27 PM
Test drive of Element Ecto JMHZ2401 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 10 08-20-2021 05:57 PM
Element Ecto Trail SteveB1 General Crawlers 6 07-11-2021 02:23 PM