Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Builder's Kit 2 - transmission assembly woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2022, 07:34 AM   #1

Default Builder's Kit 2 - transmission assembly woes

Overall, the build has been pretty frustrating so far... while I'm just getting back into RC and new to crawlers in general, I come from the pre-RTR Tamiya era, so certainly not new kit building in general. In fact, it's always been one of the more enjoyable aspects for me - at least, until this kit.

1) Instructions are terrible. Too many things jammed into one step and in some cases just... wrong. As an early example, the section with the battery tray that is supposedly for Bag 3, still requires parts not used in Bag 2.
2) Why, oh why, if you are putting parts on sprues would you include the P/N in the instructions, but not part number on the sprue?
3) Screws are too close in sizes - most kits I've built in the past intentionally minimize the number of different types of hardware used presumably both for cost and ease of assembly. And when different HW is used, they are different enough to be visually noticeable - dunno about anyone else, but I have a hard time distinguishing between a 3x8mm vs. 3x10mm or 3x10mm and 3x12mm. I constantly need to compare to the 1:1 or pull out the calipers, making it a less than enjoyable experience.
4) Options are inconsistently called out in the primary instructions. Why does the primary instructions call out the different battery tray options... but the step for the transmission build doesn't even reference the options located in the appendix in the back? Yeah, I expect most that buy the kit know about the different overdrive options and will be looking for that, but still.

Anyway.... general rant over and back to my specific problem...

How the heck do they expect you to lay down the torque required for the drive gear with a 1.5mm hex head? I knew driving these was going to be a pain given the grease requirement, but I had zero luck getting them in. Grease wasn't really a help (in retrospect, wax/soap may have been better), it almost seems like the holes in the gear aren't finished properly.

Granted, my 1.5mm driver isn't the best.... I try to use MIP when possible, but didn't think they made a 1.5mm (just realized I was wrong) so have Wera in that size - but still not junk. It does, however, have a skinny handle - because one generally shouldn't be trying to use that much torque on a 1.5mm to require a large handle. I could only get them about halfway in with this driver, at which point I got frustrated and tried a no-name allen wrench to get more torque.... and of course promptly stripped the heads.

Overall, this just doesn't seem "right", but I can't see what I can possibly be doing wrong either.

Ideas?
rocko76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2022, 07:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Builder's Kit 2 - transmission assembly woes

Well, no one makes a kit like Tamiya, let's just get that out of the way first.

I've built 5 transmissions with no issues. You need a good driver, especially at 1.5mm, they are just easily stripped. Keep it straight when driving and just keep at it. I use a new hardened bit, and I keep a 1/16 around in case I wallow it out a bit. Sometimes 1/16 will bite after the 1.5 strips a bit. Also, I have some 1.5 screws with a larger, 2mm head. I will occasionally use it to thread in the plastic before driving in the 1.5 screw. That can help.

I grease the threads with the green assembly grease they give you or the gear (I use other lubricants in the trans)

Keep plugging away at it - it's worth it when built.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I just assembled one of those transmissions for the first time. The key is to use the grease and run the screw in until it starts to feel a little tight and then back up two turns. Keep repeating the process until you get it tightened down all the way. Anytime it starts to get tight back up. That is the only way that I could see to do it without stripping a screw. And I will agree with you those instructions are horrible.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

I've built 4 of these now and haven't really had an issue. The screws were tight going in, but I took my time and slowly installed them. I did use a good titanium tip and did not have any stripped out heads.

On my last 2 trans that I built, I tapped the threads first. These 2 trans were out of the Gatekeeper Builders Kit. Since I already had my tap out to tap the threads in all of the hard plastic parts, I decided to tap the gear screw holes too. Tapping them worked out great and the screws went right in with very little effort.

When it comes to the screw sizes, I always replace the stock screws with Team KNK stainless steel screws. Their screw sizes are clearly marked on each bag, so installing the screws really isn't a big deal. Also as you get more familiar with the screw sizes, it does get easier to identify the lengths just by looking at them. At least for me it has. The more I worked on my rigs, the easier it was to identify them.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've built a couple dozen kits, including an Enduro Gatekeeper (based on the Sendero, but definitely different...especially with the IFS Kit added), and have had been few problems (not counting the Capra, but that was due to several (known) issued work the original printed manual).

First suggestion/recommendation in building any kit - check online, to see if there's a downloadable version of the manual. The reason is that, when errors are discovered, the printed manuals are almost never updated. Some companies include printed "manual update" sheets, which only cover the 'adjustments'...but, in most cases, a 'revised' manual (in PDF format) can be downloaded. Using the Capra as a perfect example, after the kit was released, Axial was uploading updates versions on an almost-weekly basis for the first couple of months, as there were numerous errors being uncovered.

Second suggestion is, for each 'step'...especially those with a few sub-steps...to go over it, portion-by-portion, as some steps don't visually show the assembly the best possible way. Tamiya is notorious for that, showing an image that makes it appear as of a part is supposed to be on one side of another part, when, in fact, the first-mentioned part of actually of the other side of the second-mentioned part. Such is also the case with the VS4-10 Phoenix manual (which I mention, because I know you're interested in that kit). I don't remember where, specifically, I remember this happening (my Phoenix is mostly built)...but, I do remember there being a could such points.

I've built kits from many different companies (Vanquish, Traxxas, Losi/TLR, Axial, RC4WD, XRAY, Tekno, Associated, etc), and something I, and countless others, have learned is, they ALL have their "quirks"...no kit is 'perfect', no manual is 'perfect'. I have yet to come across a single manual that didn't have at least one error...and, yes, that includes Tamiya. Just "get past" them, and enjoy the build...that's what matters most. Work the Capra manual, it was almost like a 'game', seeing who could find errors first (and report them to Rich/Axial, so that the online manual could be corrected/updated).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default Builder's Kit 2 - transmission assembly woes

I’ve honestly never had good luck with Element transmissions/RTRs in general. Transmissions always have stripped screws in the plastic gears or skid and my kit one was kinda a pain to build. And it’s definitely not my hex drivers because you can visibly see the screw head rounded out. Also had a shock screw and shock tower screw rounded.

But other than the stripped screws, I really like Element’s trucks and what they’re doing. I currently have a Gatekeeper kit & Trailrunner RTR and previously had a Senduro HD.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-02-2022 at 05:02 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
psn
Pebble Pounder

I didnt think building a Gatekeeper was that bad. It was nothing like building a 1/14 Tamiya truck. So many parts, tiny ones, and it takes forever. I could feel myself aging out my youth building this truck

PS,
This thing is awesome!

Last edited by psn; 07-14-2022 at 06:10 PM.
psn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
I didnt think building a Gatekeeper was that bad. It was nothing like building a 1/14 Tamiya truck. So many parts, tiny ones, and it takes forever. I could feel myself aging out my youth building this truck.
I'm still 'debating' building a semi rig. In the meantime, I picked up a Cross RC HC4. If/When I build a semi, I can consider the HC4 a "primer" for whatever semi I decide to get.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 08-03-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I was pissed that associated advertised the kit as having steel gears blue shocks like the first kit. they have changed the info now when I asked them about it.
MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW View Post
I was pissed that associated advertised the kit as having steel gears blue shocks like the first kit. they have changed the info now when I asked them about it.
As far as I remember, I don't remember them ever advertising it that way.

You could always see it had the bronze bodies for the shocks.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler.boy View Post
Sad to read this. I was thinking buying this Kit. Later this Year. Hard to build ? stripped screws sound NOT FUN.
What is the best, easy to build, quality Kit less than 300bucks today?
"the best"...*sigh*

Element.

Don't let one thread form your entire opinion. There are several builds going on now with this platform, we wouldn't be building them if they were junk.

I've built 5, have 3 currently, and have built several transmissions for other builds. Excellent stuff.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
"the best"...*sigh*

Element.

Don't let one thread form your entire opinion. There are several builds going on now with this platform, we wouldn't be building them if they were junk.

I've built 5, have 3 currently, and have built several transmissions for other builds. Excellent stuff.
^this.

Currently this is one of the best platforms to have several different configurations to your liking. Really flexible and simple in my opinion. I didn't find the transmissions difficult to build at all, but then again I have 5 Element rigs soon to be 8 or 9, etc.

I like it as a base for custom builds that still has good capability.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:08 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler.boy View Post
Sad to read this.

I was thinking buying this Kit. Later this Year.

Hard to build ? stripped screws sound NOT FUN.
We need wait for Builders Kit 3 i think
Next better version.

What is the best, easy to build, quality Kit less than 300bucks today?

313mm wheelbase minium.
Dont say TRX4 please.

Something new please. 2020 or newer

SSD Trail King. $319 and top tier quality. I’ve built the transmission from a Trail King and it’s amazing.

To be fair, it’s hard to not recommend the trx4 sport kit @ $269. It’s really the best value kit out there, FAR better than an element kit IMO.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
"the best"...*sigh*

Element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
^this.

Currently this is one of the best platforms to have several different configurations to your liking. Really flexible and simple in my opinion. I didn't find the transmissions difficult to build at all, but then again I have 5 Element rigs soon to be 8 or 9, etc.

I like it as a base for custom builds that still has good capability.
I agree with both of these PRO builders!^^^ Hard to beat Element RC for quality and price. The Enduro platform is the perfect base for any build. And the Stealth transmission with the optional overdrive built in is a perfect smooth and near silent trans! Here lately Element has been my kit of choice for my builds.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Builder's Kit 2 - transmission assembly woes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Sport Kit or SCX10II Raw Builder's Kit? westerlycarrot9 General Crawlers 13 05-10-2019 10:34 PM
My Raw Builder's Kit Tralfaz Blecht Axial SCX10 II 18 04-17-2019 07:28 PM
New Gen 8 builder's kit Bob_in az Redcat Crawlers 29 03-02-2019 04:24 AM
transmission woes. hummer6504x4 Chit Chat 2 09-03-2008 12:00 AM