Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Turtle's skeeter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Turtle's skeeter

Well I have problems leaving well enough alone.
So I built a new berg.
I decided to try out the fubar Skeeter chassis. I got it in the mail and was instantly impressed. I have never run a delrin chassis and was frankly a little scared I was going to break it. I pulled it out of the packaging and had to give it the flex test. Didn't break it yet. So I began to pull apart my Deimos and bolt up the skeeter and since it was a new chassis I decided a few new parts wouldn't hurt either.
I picked up a Hitec HSR-5990TG servo for the steering. At 333.29oz of torque at 6volts I figure it would be a nice step up from my worn out 985.
Next up was my shocks, I have been running the same Duratrax (rear) evader shocks for 2 years. And since they wouldn't hold oil for more then a couple days and I didn't feel like rebuilding them I picked up a set of the Losi crawler shocks. The Losi shocks went together really easily and I ended up drilling out the ball end to fit 3m screws. I intially limited the front and rear shocks 1/4 inch on the inside with fuel tubing. So far so good.
I had a few issues with my dig system I constructed, moving the switches and forcing them to stay engaged with the Deimos setup, so I decided to throw out the old idea and take something from others on the board and make a dig plate out of a old delirn skid plate and tap the switches to 3m, then simply cut a rectangle out of the center of the plate to bring my servo through the bottom. Piece of cake.
I also went back to basics and made some links Im used too, I threw out the 1/2" links and went back to the 1/4" delrin tube and tapped it to thread 8/32 rod all the way through. Put some Jato rod ends on and they were done. My upper links for now are 8/32 rod with jato rod ends. Im still playing with upper link configurations and geometry so as of right now the are going to stay uncovered til I figure out what really works.
As a few of you may have seen Jay Robinette (Rubbaneck) did a motor tuning demostration on RCC live about two weeks ago. Well those were my motors. He took some integy machine wound 45T motors dropped in some Trinity 14.5oz springs and added some Reedy quesar brushes (part #729). What a world of difference this made to the motors, they became a new machine! More torque+ more speed= more fun
My budget was about kicked at this point, but what would a new build be without some new rubber, wheels and body?
I picked up some Vanquish DH wheels with enough weights to fill the front wheels and 460 offsets for the front and 330 offsets for the rear. I have never had a beadlock wheel that went together so easily.
Ever since the TLT and running blackfoot stubs to get a wider track width up front its just what appeals to me.
Parts break down:
CC Mamba Max
CC Bec (currently set to 6 volts)
HSG-5990
HS-225BB (dig servo)
Integy 45T motors (modded)
Spektrum SR3100 reciever
CKRC hi steer knuckles And Tie rod
Tmyjeeper(Bta steering mod(more on this later))
losi shocks (integy blue springs front(1.4 rate) losi white springs rear)
Fubar rear lock outs
HB rovers (white)
VP Dh wheels
Flight power 1345 20c 3 cell lipo packs (awesome)
AX-10 stub shafts
TLT transmission bearings for inner stub bearings
Stage Killah body
Custom front body mount
On to the photos

The Tmyjeeper steering!
I used 1/4" Al. channel from ace hardware which comes in 3' foot strips for about $7.00. More then enough to make about 10 of these things. So I have some room for mistakes. The first round I made some that were to tall and caused my Deimos to sit pretty high in the front and just unload to much for my taste with the ride Height I was looking for. So this time around I tried to make them as low as possible without affecting my steering or suspension. So far so good on that front.
I did come apon a few issues, but with some help from Tim he led me in the right direction and now the shocks, Tie rod and steering link are using the bent axial rod ends for clearance.

The steering horn is off my old SW2 super so I was pretty sure it would hold up. I used the steering link from my kit axial for this and just happened to work just right.

Im still playing with upper link geometry and have tried a few different positions, Im having the best success right now with the front upper links triangulated on the axle and on the outside of the chassis and with parrell uppers in the rear on the inside of the chassis. Its a bit of a trade off though while (in my eyes) one provides more axle steer and the other tracking side to side, I figure do a bit of mix and matching and hope for the best (worked on my axial).

As of right now Im right at 3" of belly clearance, and Im pretty happy with it, though I still need to dial in my suspension.
Mandatory flew shot.

One shot with the body on.

I have taken this rig out a few times and so far so good (minus a few suspension issues) The chassis will not break, I have not been nice and just let it fall with no luck breaking it. Its got my approval so far and I am becoming a fast believer in the delrin chassis'.
Ty
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #2

Looks great, I really really need to get a nice camera, those pictures look outstanding!
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Looks great, I really really need to get a nice camera, those pictures look outstanding!
They'd be better with a Nikon!

Nice build Ty.... very clean.
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Very nice build.

Can't wait to get my Skeeter Berg up and running..

I like the steering setup. Do you think that setup would work with a clocked front axle?
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good Turtle!!! Play around with your shock mounting to. I went with the next hole down from the end on the chassis and could practically climb walls afterwards. Also, the upper links seam to do better mounted inside the chassis. With my axles clocked at 20 degrees my front uppers are at 120mm and my rears are 125mm. I think you could fold that Delrin in half before it breaks.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
[HOONIGAN]

Lookin good Ty!
I need to get back up there and see which of the three of ours does the best!
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Thanks man, Watch RCC Tv tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroplatus View Post
They'd be better with a Nikon!

Nice build Ty.... very clean.
I don't know about that.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
Very nice build.

Can't wait to get my Skeeter Berg up and running..

I like the steering setup. Do you think that setup would work with a clocked front axle?
I don't think it will work with a clocked axle, where the servo horn is it almost touches the motor, if you clocked the axle You would have to get real creative with the shock mounts and steering linkage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Lookin good Turtle!!! Play around with your shock mounting to. I went with the next hole down from the end on the chassis and could practically climb walls afterwards. Also, the upper links seam to do better mounted inside the chassis. With my axles clocked at 20 degrees my front uppers are at 120mm and my rears are 125mm. I think you could fold that Delrin in half before it breaks.
Thanks man, I have tried moving the shocks around too. I started with front and rear uppers mounted in the chassis, but for some reason when climbing off chamber it would not flex, I moved them to the outside and they flexed, I will try it again though. I have changed alot since I tried it the first time. Thanks for the imput.

A couple more photos tonight.
A better shot of the dig tray, its not the prettiest thing to look at but serves its purpose, this is actually the old skid to my SW3.

For those of you concerned I have since moved the brace to between my shocks, that was really my largest concern.

The link mount and shock mount opposite of the servo

Thanks again guys
Ty
Old 02-26-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

good to see you bought the right wheels. lol I'll be coming to Denver soon. can I use the same number to get ahold of you?
charga71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey man, you got some nice gear and some even better photo skillz. I only have one comment. I would just keep an eye on the driver side shock mount because of the material you had to take out of it for the steering. I can see that aluminum failing eventually. Leaving you with virtually no way to fix it in the field should it happen at a comp.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Nice build Ty!!! We need to get out and see how that compares to your old set up. I should be at the regular spot after work today.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Whatup ??? New ride, what was wrong with the old one
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This one only lasted you 3 weeks?:-P
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158087

The photos are way better in this thread anyway...
tmyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice pics Ty, makes me look like a hack by comparison. I've got a KK dig switch plate I'm not using if you want it, though I don't think the 225 will fit in it. I'm sure it's lighter than that hacked up chunk of delrin though.

Not like it'll matter, you'll have some new chassis in 2 or 3 weeks anyways
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
RCC Addict

picks look great and i love that 80's freeze frame inspired body. but i thought skeeter drove a tow truck. can your rig drive a towtruck or is it just a coincidence that they are both named skeeter?
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by charga71 View Post
good to see you bought the right wheels. lol I'll be coming to Denver soon. can I use the same number to get ahold of you?
Thanks Jim, the wheels are killer, I just can't say it enough. Nah man I got a new number Pm me when you are in town and I'll call you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
Hey man, you got some nice gear and some even better photo skillz. I only have one comment. I would just keep an eye on the driver side shock mount because of the material you had to take out of it for the steering. I can see that aluminum failing eventually. Leaving you with virtually no way to fix it in the field should it happen at a comp.
Thanks man, I left as much material as I could, I don't think its going anywhere, my old brackets were taller with the same material gone and they held up, so I don't see much concern, plus I have been pretty hard on it and its ok so far, but I understand your concern and will keep everyone updated if anything happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Illusion View Post
Nice build Ty!!! We need to get out and see how that compares to your old set up. I should be at the regular spot after work today.
Thanks Tom! I can tell you now its goooood. call me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
Whatup ??? New ride, what was wrong with the old one
Nothing. I just ordered lockouts and when I did well they sold the skeeter to, so I figured why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyjeeper View Post
This one only lasted you 3 weeks?:-P
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158087

The photos are way better in this thread anyway...
I know right? I think Im getting A D D
YeahI think they turned out better this time, I guess I should stop being so lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Nice pics Ty, makes me look like a hack by comparison. I've got a KK dig switch plate I'm not using if you want it, though I don't think the 225 will fit in it. I'm sure it's lighter than that hacked up chunk of delrin though.

Not like it'll matter, you'll have some new chassis in 2 or 3 weeks anyways
Hey I like my hack job of a dig trey. You don't see it with the body on and it serves it purpse, so Im ok with it. Same idea with my wiring, not pretty but it works. Wiring has always been my down fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
picks look great and i love that 80's freeze frame inspired body. but i thought skeeter drove a tow truck. can your rig drive a towtruck or is it just a coincidence that they are both named skeeter?
Thanks John, I'll have to look into the whole Skeeter thing, I'll probably just PM MThead.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
DOOH!!!

It's nothing but a name....., it can be a pesky thing for others to deal with at comps though...

Good looking build Ty, way different from my setup..
Awesome pictures as always!!

You didn't tell me you were going to do the flex test

Keep up the good work.

John
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Looking good Ty. After PP last weekend I am on the hunt for a Berg build, lol. I knew it would happen once I drove one.

Bye bye more money, lol.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
It's nothing but a name....., it can be a pesky thing for others to deal with at comps though...

Good looking build Ty, way different from my setup..
Awesome pictures as always!!

You didn't tell me you were going to do the flex test

Keep up the good work.

John
The flex shot is a given John. Yeah Im still playing with this link nonsense, I have a couple more ideas to throw around and I will see what I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
Lookin good Ty!
I need to get back up there and see which of the three of ours does the best!
Yeah you do, its crazy the three of us usually build the same stuff, strange all three of us have different chassis now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Looking good Ty. After PP last weekend I am on the hunt for a Berg build, lol. I knew it would happen once I drove one.

Bye bye more money, lol.
Good work, its sucks dropping the money, but man they can do anything.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #19

A few shots from the rocks, Im going out this evening to try a few things out will have some progress and photos later.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

wow!
I dont know who to credit......
the driver or photographer.
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote