Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Beginners build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Beginners build

I havn't bought anything yet, still pricing and adding everything up.

Newage 2.2 berg kit
Motors - Integy V11 45t
ESC - CC Sidewinder
BEC - CC BEC
Servo - Hitec HS-645mg
Tires Hot Bodies Rover

I understand that this isn't close to a top of the line build, and that the kit items would better off upgraded, but the cost of those other items in the kit add up pretty quick. I can upgrade those as I go. I really want to get crawling soon. Initially I thought I would get the Axial RTC just to get me going and buy a couple of the more expensive items for a Berg setup and gradually build it up but still get out and crawl with the Axial, but that just seems to be a waste of money initially. So figured I would try to build a budget berg.

Still havn't decided on a radio yet and I know this doesn't include Dig yet either.

So how does that look to get me rollin?
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good start. Save some money on the motors and get regular integy 45t to start. Spend the money you saved on motors and upgrade the servo you will thank me later. As for a radio that is a tough one. Watch for a used 3pk or dx3r and you will be set.

Last edited by ubbb69; 07-16-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added for radio
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This one? Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 45T

http://www.rcplanet.com/Integy_Matri...intscm4501.htm
Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

yep those one's. or spend the extra money and get some holmes hobbies hand wound motors
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm confused with the chassis. If I get the axles only and have to get a chassis, what else do I need. I can figure out some of the obvious stuff like wheels and shocks. But what about linkage's, knuckles, lockouts, bent links, steering components, just some of the various terms I have heard. That's another reason I am thinking of just doing the kit instead of a complete build up, because I don't know what all of the smaller parts are that are required. When my money comes I want to be able to take a list to my local store and see what he has or can get and then order the rest online. I don't want to get everything and find out I'm missing 20 different small pieces.

Also do the electronics come with whatever they need to be hooked up or do I need to buy wire, harnesses, or connectors.

Any help with the small things, as you can see from my above post I pretty much understand all of the major components so I'm good there I think. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Jp costoms is doing rtr moa kits at a really reasonable price you should check him out for a comp ready kit.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ok cool thanks, would that be jpcustomrcs.com
Old 07-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Don't buy the Berg kit.

Buy a chassis
Make or buy some links
Get some correct offset wheels
Add your electronics

Then you are done and have a much better truck.

You will need wire. The knuckles are on the axles. Lockouts are provided with the axles, but most people upgrade to straight axle lockouts eventually. You will need to either fabricate or buy the Berg steering kit, just so you will have a place to mount your servo.

Building a Berg sounds simple, but it was much more complex than my Axial.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Don't buy the Berg kit.

Buy a chassis
Make or buy some links
Get some correct offset wheels
Add your electronics

Then you are done and have a much better truck.

You will need wire. The knuckles are on the axles. Lockouts are provided with the axles, but most people upgrade to straight axle lockouts eventually. You will need to either fabricate or buy the Berg steering kit, just so you will have a place to mount your servo.

Building a Berg sounds simple, but it was much more complex than my Axial.
x2 I wouldn't waste the $$ on the kit. Just get the pieces you need and you can pick up some good deals on here for rims, tires, esc, dig plate(if you need one let me know), etc.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbb69 View Post
Jp costoms is doing rtr moa kits at a really reasonable price you should check him out for a comp ready kit.
Agreed! That should keep you on budget, as eash time you need to order something else you are paying shipping again.....I suggest a 450 piece crawler build kit from RCSCREWS too.
I was like you in getting going with a Berg vs. Axial.....I bit the bullet so to speak, and bought a comp ready Berg Kit from CKRC that was super nice, but pricey. Not sure what your budget is.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I went to a website jpcustomrcs.com and didn't find any rtr kits. Different parts and pieces but no rtr kits let alone a rtr berg. Maybe this i got the wrong site. Above he listed it as jp cOstoms not jp cUstoms, don't know if he had a typo or I'm looking in the wrong spot. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

No thats the right site, he is doing a bully artr kits that include links, chassis, wheels/tires, and axles. Look in the rc4wd bully section and search for run2jeepin, his thread will show up. He is doing it with bullies because he is sponsored by rc4wd. Hope this helps
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

actually here is the link

New Crawler Bully Kits from Jp Custom Rc's
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Awesome thank you.