Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Berg Super 300 cvd first impression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Berg Super 300 cvd first impression

I am in the hotel here in Truckee. I ran and did not quite make the LCQ yesterday and am not runnning super today I decided to install my super 300 cvd's. Sorry for the blurry pics my blackberry does not take very good close up picks.

While installing them I noticed they fell very rough in the rotation. I was told they would have to "break in" to smooth up. I guess the cvd's in my Losi 8ight t, my SC10, and the ones I had in my Axial came pre " broke in" because the were super smooth unlike these. Also there are some burrs that I had to file off to get the supplied bearings on. Maybe these were rushed, but I would like to have seen these spend some time in a vibrating polisher to knock the burrs off seeing that they cost almost 1.5X the cost of the axle they were going in.

Overall They are not exactly a drop in, but the look like the will be super strong.

I will take my Berg out to the course and run it to see how they perform and update this later today.

The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=trucknuts;1965437]I am in the hotel here in Truckee. I ran and did not quite make the LCQ yesterday and am not runnning super today I decided to install my super 300 cvd's. Sorry for the blurry pics my blackberry does not take very good close up picks.

While installing them I noticed they fell very rough in the rotation. I was told they would have to "break in" to smooth up. I guess the cvd's in my Losi 8ight t, my SC10, and the ones I had in my Axial came pre " broke in" because the were super smooth unlike these. Also there are some burrs that I had to file off to get the supplied bearings on. Maybe these were rushed, but I would like to have seen these spend some time in a vibrating polisher to knock the burrs off seeing that they cost almost 1.5X the cost of the axle they were going in.

Overall They are not exactly a drop in, but the look like the will be super strong.

I will take my Berg out to the course and run it to see how they perform and update this later today.

the rotations do break in and smooth out! it doesnt take that run time. the cvds are built with very tight tolerances(much tighter than all of the above mentioned brands) Hence why they are almost impossible to break. They where intended to spend 4 hours in the polisher before bagging. Since the machinist didnt perform, I went to the machine shop and ran machines all night tuesday night and put them in the bags at 6 in the morn. so they could come down with the guys. i will be up there this evening. I would like to check out the burs, as I havent noticed those on any I assembled.(as u mentioned the pics are to blurry to see )
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well they are a direct replacment no mods to install these bad boys.
it took me about 20min for mine and yes they are a little tight to rotate but
a couple mins running smooth as butter. a small price to pay for somthing that will take out a servo before the cvd. iam running mine a full epa's
and 11t pullers and not even a scuff.
super dave is the man on this one

Last edited by Rock Logic; 08-28-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: cant spell
Rock Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloout View Post
well they are a direct replacment no mods to install these bad boys.
it took me about 20min for mine and yes they are a little tight to rotate but
a couple mins running smooth as butter. a small price to pay for somthing that will take out a servo before the cvd. iam running mine a full epa's
and 11t pullers and not even a scuff.
super dave is the man on this one

Really yours were a direct replacement? I had to drill out the wheel hexes. Thats made them not a direct replacement for me. And 10 minutes with a file and mine are in. And after talking with the Losi guys today he said that they are probably made to a tighter tolerance than the Losi ones. But the point is that for the money they should have been smooth out of the box.

And the outer drive pin hole is so much smaller than the stock Axial/berg stub hole that I had to beat the pin in. Lets hope I never shear a drive pin. Overall I am not very happy. I would wait until this guy makes another run than fit and work better. PS. anyone want a set of cvd's cheap. slightly beat on and filed.

Last edited by The Violator; 08-28-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Keep it real

Sweet.....next we'll have people complaining that they can't break them.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Very true.....
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Haha I know, and how long did people beg for these?
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
Really yours were a direct replacement? I had to drill out the wheel hexes. Thats made them not a direct replacement for me. And 10 minutes with a file and mine are in. And after talking with the Losi guys today he said that they are probably made to a tighter tolerance than the Losi ones. But the point is that for the money they should have been smooth out of the box.

And the outer drive pin hole is so much smaller than the stock Axial/berg stub hole that I had to beat the pin in. Lets hope I never shear a drive pin. Overall I am not very happy. I would wait until this guy makes another run than fit and work better. PS. anyone want a set of cvd's cheap. slightly beat on and filed.
Those seem like some pretty harsh comments! If they didn't fit as you say why not return them why hack on them and them post how bad they are? All the cvds ive gotten in the past were also very smooth out of the package but they also all have some noticeable slop also. These were never stated that they would just drop in your axle all sloppy like. It has been stated from the beginning that these are of higher quality and tolerance standards that any of us are used to on a rc level. As far as the pins being a press fit thats great one less place to have slop And as far as having to drill out the hexes big deal its like buying a new body and complaining about having to paint it.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Seriously? Your bitching about having to do some fileing? Do you realize the the quality and strength of these cvd's? Get over it...

I'm so tired of people complaining about everything good
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
PS. anyone want a set of cvd's cheap. slightly beat on and filed.

Sitting here with dave now, he told you he wanted to see them today, but you didn't approach him.

He said to make sure and find him tomorrow.
RCCtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

well from the start he stated that you would need a 5mm hex so that being stated i ordered his 5mm hex at the same time. issue fixed
and maybe some peps opion on modifications are diffrent than others.
mods in my op. are these
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188697
cant make every person happy
Rock Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
RC Axle Master

Just to add my two cents the Bully axles that I produce have a tight tolerence and the cup and ball needs to break in just like the super 300's. There's nothing wrong with this just add a little silcone spray to help them smooth out. Let Dave take a look at them and I'm sure he will help you out with what ever kind of problems you may be having.
LetsHandleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

and i wonder why you're on the 'do not sell to' list.

ol' gravy leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
RC Axle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' gravy leg View Post

And whos list may that be?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
THE Y-TOWN OG

i aplaud your true honesty on all the productes that you buy ted
its funny to see everyone get all on the defence when some one pays full pop for something and then gives there opinion.i'm sure they r fine and work great i will pick some up my self soon when i get back into crawling.
for now keep up the good work on the testing of things
dboy1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCtv View Post
Sitting here with dave now, he told you he wanted to see them today, but you didn't approach him.

He said to make sure and find him tomorrow.

I was not around the comp until tonight. He found me and we talked. Dave is a top notch guy and understood my issues. I think my frustration got the best of me today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsHandleit View Post
Just to add my two cents the Bully axles that I produce have a tight tolerence and the cup and ball needs to break in just like the super 300's. There's nothing wrong with this just add a little silcone spray to help them smooth out. Let Dave take a look at them and I'm sure he will help you out with what ever kind of problems you may be having.

I got them in, and working. They should be strong. They are real tight. I had to do a little file work, and replace the hex drive pins with new ones. The old ones were not gonna fit.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' gravy leg View Post

I call them like I see them. No sugar coating at all. Not everyone likes this. I say the things most people are thinking, but will not say.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #18
RC Axle Master

Glad to hear all is working for you now.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default .

Can't we all just get along!!
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I too bought them and received them at Worlds in Donner.

I had prepared for the few things, but not all of them. The fit and tightness of the CVD joint after running 2 days (one practice down the Donner Pass and 1 day on Saturday) they have free'd up just fine.

Issues I noticed were the coating applied to resist rust and such was thick causing the bearings to be a tight fit...not too hard to overcome with the tools we brought. The other issue was the Hex pin hole was extremely undersized or there was some sort of burr. Had to run to the local hardware store and buy a drill and a 5/64 drill and all was good then.

At the time of install I was upset, but I think it had more to do with the rush of needed a truck at Worlds. I let the uncomfortable feeling of being behind and changing before a big event really get to me.

Over all a good product, especially knowing the rush these were put in to get us some for the comp.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote