Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: New Berg Axles! Steering?!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Berg Axles! Steering?!!!

Hey guys I just got ahold of some berg axles, and they came with no steering components whatsoever! What would be the best steering setup to run?
debooffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

Default best ?

I run ckrc ota and vp knuckle and it works for me
RC Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
"HOLLYWOOD"

There's only one choice for that 86 Jeep Design's OTA and BTA.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This one is easy, but it leaves your tie rod way out in front of the axle.

This one is good, but you need a servo plate clamp from the kit above.

DTWISTED made his own servo plate that he bolted directly to the axle and he will be using the KK tie rod that I used to have.

As mentioned by someone else, CKRC makes a kit, 86 Jeep sells a bolt on kit, or you can send him your axle and servo and he will machine the steering mount into the axle.

If you run into a snag, give me a call or hit up DTWISTED for some info next time you see him.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post

This is the one I just ordered.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have the cdw the ckrc and 86 jeep and will be ordering a rci
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You absolutely cannot beat 86Jeep's 2nd steering setup! It has the lowest COG out of all, and the most servo protection. I noticed a large difference in my rigs performance from that mod alone.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Look into RC innovations. works really well, not a huge fan of their servo plate but awesome steering when installed. You should figure out if you are going to clock them and how much, then remember if you are going to run a kit that faces the servo backwards, you will be hard pressed to parallel your upper links to squeeze a battery in between them, servo horn will hit rod ends of front uppers.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I run the RC Innovations with CKRC Servo mount with VP knuckles and it's awesome! Also works with 0-30 degree clocking.
Dr. Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

what parts do i need from ckrc to go with the rc innovations kit? i,ve heard servo plates and servo mounts? or do i need more? if someone could let me know, that would be great!
imbler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:

DTWISTED made his own servo plate that he bolted directly to the axle and he will be using the KK tie rod that I used to have.

As mentioned by someone else, CKRC makes a kit, 86 Jeep sells a bolt on kit, or you can send him your axle and servo and he will machine the steering mount into the axle.

If you run into a snag, give me a call or hit up DTWISTED for some info next time you see him.
Ok thank you Harvo. I talked to Dtwisted and he said he can make me that servo mount, and I get that RCI for now. I think that should work for now.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbler2 View Post
what parts do i need from ckrc to go with the rc innovations kit? i,ve heard servo plates and servo mounts? or do i need more? if someone could let me know, that would be great!

anyone?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

what is the "servo plate clamp" ? i see servo plate, and servo mount, and some clamps that come with the ckrc kit, but i am not seeing what you said.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I think what they are saying is that the RCI comes with a servo plate, but the only way to mount the plate is with some type of clamp. And there is a clamp that comes with the ckrc kit. But I am just drilling into the top of the axle housing so that I dont have the clamp hanging down there, nor do I want to have to buy 2 different things to run one steering setup.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Debo is right. The stock Berg steering kit comes with two clamps and a servo plate. The RCI kit uses one of those clamps and provides a lower mounting servo plate. If you have the means, you can get the RCI kit and drill your own (second) mounting hole for the servo plate in the axle so you do not need the clamp.

The clamp is a U-bolt type clamp that clamps onto the round axle housing.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by debooffroad View Post
I think what they are saying is that the RCI comes with a servo plate, but the only way to mount the plate is with some type of clamp. And there is a clamp that comes with the ckrc kit. But I am just drilling into the top of the axle housing so that I dont have the clamp hanging down there, nor do I want to have to buy 2 different things to run one steering setup.
Exactly.. The RCI kit needs a stock Berg clamp (under long axle)Which is included in CKRC's kit. it's the C shaped clamp I see a lot when my rig is upside down instead of progressing gates like it should! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Bottom-Clamp-2

link to clamp. The RCI servo plate works well, I just think it could be located a bit better. Make sure to locktight the plate fastners they will come loose and the plate mount, servo mount, servo builds on itself in that order so if the plate comes loose, you have to take it all apart to tighten it!
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drew View Post
I run the RC Innovations with CKRC Servo mount with VP knuckles and it's awesome! Also works with 0-30 degree clocking.
Exactly what I run
jeepsohigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

my berg axles that i bought used come with two of those clamps allready, will that be all that i need with the rci kit? i allready have the rci kit.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbler2 View Post
my berg axles that i bought used come with two of those clamps allready, will that be all that i need with the rci kit? i allready have the rci kit.
You have one more than you will need.