Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: New WB rule and easy change for moonbuggies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New WB rule and easy change for moonbuggies

Like alot of others I was stuck at having to redo my setup a little bit so that the wheelbase remained within the new rules. Just wanted to give a little info on a quick easy way to shorten up your moonbuggy with no adverse affects to anything else.

My rig needed shortened up about 3/8"-1/2". First thing was to move the rear lower links from inside the mounts to outside the mounts. This shortened the wheelbase a bit as well as got the links farther out on the axle for more support. Win Win. Still needed a bit more.

If your T1e curved rear links are like mine they are actually rounded on the ends where they meet the rodend. Just shave off the rounded portion. I probably only took of 1/8" if that and it actually makes a big difference on wheelbase due to the high ground clearance they have.

That was all it took. Just thought I would share. I know I did not want to mess with much as I liked the way it worked before. I saw no difference in any other aspect of the truck.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Glad you got it taken care of.

With my Moonbuggy I was able to shave 1/8" off the front lower links and move the uppers 1 hole back in the chassis( I was trying to keep the upper length constant because I have some sweet BLC Carboms to swap on soon) . This put me at 12.5" spot on and the geometry is close enough to the same, while moving the weight as far forward as possible. My battery tray still clears the motor housing by a hair.

I made no changes to the rear links.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

My front is already so crammed with stuff, I opted not to mess with it. Too much custom going on up there to mess with. Rear was nice and easy with no ill effects on the steering, clocking, or geometry. I am a little limited as well as my punk dig (box) is notched for my upper links so they cant move.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I shortened my fronts a touch and the rears. Clearance issues with the battery tray and motor guard kept me from doing all the reducing up front.

Your belly height and CG is probably higher now unless you limited your shocks more. The crux about the moonbuggy and the new WB rule is that with the high clearance links and jacked up rear skid, they grow alot when the suspension cycles.

I was running 4" shocks. When I first shortened mine, the WB was 11 3/4" at full droop (which was 5" high at he curve of the links) and only 12" at ride height. But it tech measured at 12.5".

I've got everything just as I like it again, but in addition to link length, you can't forget about the shock length and ride height variables.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote