Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: DX6i Dual ESC control options looking for Idea's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DX6i Dual ESC control options looking for Idea's

I made it to the DUAL ESC, 6ch transmitter phase !

In the DX6i manual it says I can select a switch to turn ON or OFF a Mix. So how do I run a Mix full time and then press throttle cut to momentary turn it off ?
Is that even possible ?

So what Radio control setups do you guys do for DIG's ?
Do you use Airplane or Heli mode ?

I am thinking to use the Ail D/R switch-ON/OFF to control front and rear separately with the Elev and Throttle controls.
And use Airplane mode.

Thanks

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 09-12-2010 at 02:48 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I use a DX6i too. Airplane model and I use the Mix/Throttle Hold switch for Mix/Dig. I removed the Rudder Dual Rate Switch and added a momentary switch/button for quick dig action. I'll post a pic if you need. When you setup the mix I dial in a bit of overdrive in each direction. In my case I mix 105% up and 95% down so that the direction I am traveling has overdrive to keep the rig from bunching up. When I first when to twin stick I would get a reverse on the rear when turning so I added dual rates to the Elevator so I can switch off the rear motor control. As I got better I decreased the rates and I can always just flip the rate switch to have 100% to the Elevator. Hope this helps.
Arcain41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcain41 View Post
I use a DX6i too. Airplane model and I use the Mix/Throttle Hold switch for Mix/Dig. I removed the Rudder Dual Rate Switch and added a momentary switch/button for quick dig action. I'll post a pic if you need. When you setup the mix I dial in a bit of overdrive in each direction. In my case I mix 105% up and 95% down so that the direction I am traveling has overdrive to keep the rig from bunching up. When I first when to twin stick I would get a reverse on the rear when turning so I added dual rates to the Elevator so I can switch off the rear motor control. As I got better I decreased the rates and I can always just flip the rate switch to have 100% to the Elevator. Hope this helps.
wwow that sounds really good. I didn't know. but not quit getting it all. A pic? that would help if you could.
How is this part " In my case I mix 105% up and 95% down so that the direction I am traveling has overdrive to keep the rig from bunching up"
and he dual rates..?
I made my Aileron D/R a momentary button and my MIX a Momentary button.

From reading around it sounds like I can Do this:
Aileron D/R button to enable control on each ESC independantly..?
Use the MIX button to Hold/DIG an Axle
Rudder D/R to change a rate of a choosen ESC..?

Does this sound right to you ?

huge thanks

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 09-10-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

With the 105 up and 95 down it keeps an overdrive affect in both directions. When I go forward the front axle turns faster and when I reverse the rear axle turns faster. D/R switches cannot be assigned to the mix function. Only Mix, Flap and Gear can be used to turn on/off mix. Your Mix will have the front axle ESC as master and the rear as slave. Hope the picture helps.
The D/R is used to keep from giving rear power when you’re turning while you learn the sticks. In this picture I have the Elevator D/R set to 100% +100% power in the on position (1) and 100% INH in the off position (0). Early on I had the on position set to 100% + 30%.
I use Aileron for steering but Rudder would work just as well. Good luck. It takes time to get use to this.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Talking

I forgot to post the pic of the switch mod. I just removed the D/R switch and tucked it away in side. Removed one wire from the Mix Switch and soldered it to the momentary switch and added a wire between the momentary and the location on the mix switch that I removed the wire from.

You need a momentary that is normaly closed. When you press the switch it brakes the connection like you just fliped the Mix switch. Both switches work but the button is quick.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

that seems to be the tough part, finding a momentary that is normally closed.

THANK YOU SO much for the pic !
I have been going batty on the dual Combi thing.

I have also changed my MIX button to a momentary as well as my Ail D/R
So I guessing I could press the mix button or a flap sw to turn off the front/rear mix to control both independently, right ?

I think this just might cover it.

Here is a pic
Dont get confused, this Transmitter was designed to run 2 different crawlers, SC truck and my custom 1/5 AWD road car-thus why the brake button on the left. 2nd steering wheel for my Super.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 09-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

T4C if your up for some more modifing to your radio, and you have you front and rear throttles to independant channels have a look at this here. I did it on my rear throttle channel and now I have infinite adjustment at the twist of my thumb. Mine goes from dig at low throttle(motor will just move at full throttle and I mean just) to full throttle as normal. PM if you need any help doing it. I then put front steering in elevator, front throttle in aileron and rear throttle in rudder(with the mod above done to it). Works very well, much better than the D/R expo menu set up I was using before. Also did you know you can use the D/R menu to create an overdrive effect? However it isn't the easiest to adjust in a hurry and it seems to muddle up FXR calibration. Worth a shot anyway.

You can use any D/R switch EXPECT rudder for mixing, if you go that route.

I run all cars in airplane mode, much simpler I have found to set up then heli mode.

Cheers
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I found the momentary I use at Radio Shack of all places. I'll post up the PN#. I have a spare somewhere.

That radio is a work of art. I really don't now how you did it but it looks nice.

Aussie is right. Doing anything in Heli is hard. I fly helis and the is so much more in the mix setup. Many of the mixs and switches do different things.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
T4C if your up for some more modifing to your radio, and you have you front and rear throttles to independant channels have a look at this here. I did it on my rear throttle channel and now I have infinite adjustment at the twist of my thumb. Mine goes from dig at low throttle(motor will just move at full throttle and I mean just) to full throttle as normal. PM if you need any help doing it. I then put front steering in elevator, front throttle in aileron and rear throttle in rudder(with the mod above done to it). Works very well, much better than the D/R expo menu set up I was using before. Also did you know you can use the D/R menu to create an overdrive effect? However it isn't the easiest to adjust in a hurry and it seems to muddle up FXR calibration. Worth a shot anyway.

You can use any D/R switch EXPECT rudder for mixing, if you go that route.

I run all cars in airplane mode, much simpler I have found to set up then heli mode.

Cheers
Kieren
Hey Ausie,
thanks for the cool info, but I am having a hard time understanding exactly what the function is. can you alaberate ?
sounds cool.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Turn the dial increase or decrease the rear throttle percentage from about 5% to 100%. Think steering D/R but on a throttle channel. Allows infinite adjustment between almost dig to normal throttle.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Here is the switch I used. Can be wired both ways. Open or closed

Mini SPDT 3-Amp Momentary Pushbutton Switch
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...lterValue=SPDT
Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Getting closer to figuring this out, Have a Question

Can I select a switch to over ride another switch ?
I'm trying to make both esc's run in sync (4wd) but then press a button to activate a mix for front and rear digs.

I may need to change my buttons/switches to normally open or vs versa