Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: EddieO's br00d Berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default EddieO's br00d Berg

So this is my first crawler build really. I put together some weird thing a couple of years ago, drove it once, and a customer had to have it, so I sold it to him....for those of you who don't know me, I own Team Brood Racing. We mainly have done motors and batteries for the last 6 years, concentrating on Onroad and Offroad electrics, amassing over 25 National Titles and a Ifmar A main appearance. Anyways, on with the build info!

I've been gathering parts to build a few crawlers, and finally put my foot down and started one! So this my first build, lots of high end stuff. I am hoping to have it done for the next local comp, assuming I can figure out how to drive it! This (and future crawlers I build, got another berg, an axial, a Hustler, and F350 that all need building) will be test beds for Team Brood Racing products....this unit will be testing a new style of armature in our Creep based motor, along with Prototype SMC Lipos.

A big thanks to all who helped me put together this list.....Kamikaze Kustoms, Fubar, Team Losi, Harley (for convincing me after 15+ years of airtronics to return to my roots with a futaba, certainly ain't no magnum junior!)and JP from JPScustomrcs for all the advice and answering the noob questions....

Chassis: Kamikaze Kustoms ZERO 4.0
Axles: Berg
Steering: Kamikaze Kustoms Delrin High Clearance Tie Rod
Lock Outs: Fubar
Shocks: Losi 4"
Lower Links: Kamikaze Kustoms High Clearance with Revo Ends
Upper Links: Lunsford turnbuckles with Revo Ends
Wheels: Vanquish Revolver Comp 2.2 Beadlocks
Tires: Losi Rock Claws
Foams: Custom
ESC: Dual Tekin FXR
BEC: Castle Creations
Radio: Futaba 4pk
Reciever: Futaba R604FS
Motors: Dual Matched Team Brood Prototype 45t Creeps
Servo: JR 8711
Batteries: SMC Prototype 11.1v Lipo
Body: Losi Grappler

Here is the photos of all the loot to be put together! (few things missing though, lunsford links, SMC Lipo, few odds and ends).

First thing up tomorrow is to pull apart both the axles, clean, relube, grease them, along with clocking once I figure out how that works!

Enjoy!

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Very nice!

Cant wait to see this thing ready.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hey Eddie

Nice building materials.Built a similar rig with your motors in it.Bunch of locals were wondering about your motors.Will you guys still be winding Crawler stuff?BTW,I am an racer too and have used your motors when it was the thing to do to run brushed stuff.Good luck with the build.BTW did you get any of your guys crawling competitively?Peeler or any of those guys?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Keep it real

Looks like you got the wrong VP beadlocks, the Revolvers will put you really wide, you should have gotten the DH's with the narrow hex set

Nice parts list though
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Looks like you got the wrong VP beadlocks, the Revolvers will put you really wide, you should have gotten the DH's with the narrow hex set

Nice parts list though

Looks like he got the wrong tires too.

Just messin with ya. I get my butt handed to me at every comp with some redneck running them.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A lot of nice Parts.... I've been wanting a set of those beadlocks for sometime...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Stop buying and start building.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Damn, wrong wheels......I emailed, guess I got bad info! Must order another set tonight! I can use them on another crawler, no biggies...

As for the tires, I am sorta Losi team driver......so, Losi for life. I would stab myself in the nuts with a rusty butter knife before I ran a panther tire anyways!:P (long story)

We still wind crawler motors, they are on the site (mods if this is not allowed, please delete).

Peter Robinson got into the crawling thing some, he built like 4 of them.....but, to him the novelty wore off and he sold them all. Peter isn't racing anymore, as he going to college over in spokane (we think he may be gay, but we are not sure yet). Peeler is still racing, but Xray has cut travel for the entire team pretty much, touring car is kinda dead. I got in a bunch of brushless stuff though, so we will be back in the racing market shortly.....two of my ex-employees are into the crawling gig, but they don't compete....both post on here though, Jeff Jenkins and Wes Briscoe......

Later EddieO
Old 02-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
As for the tires, I am sorta Losi team driver......so, Losi for life. I would stab myself in the nuts with a rusty butter knife before I ran a panther tire anyways!:P (long story)

I dont want to know the story. Like I said, I get my butt handed to me just about every time I run with the losi's.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Very nice lay-out EddieO, kinda like a surgeons tools or somebody with a hint of OCD. These crawler builds are addictive.

I also have always thought highly of BROOD motors. Glad you guys are taking interest in this crawling stuff
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Nice start, spared no expense on this one. You made all the right choices in my opinion. I have one of your 35T motors in my AX10 and would have loved to get some 45T's from you for my Berg. Will you be offering the 45T motors soon? They's go like hot cakes arounf here.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
20K Club

Best of the best for this one

The 4PK is amazing with the dual ESC's. I have a write-up in the electronics section with a number of different setups.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

ho damn looking at those pics it almost remids me of when I got my T-rex 500cf and thought damn I spent to much.
rn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Iwould not sleep till it was together looks nice just have to many other projects to start another
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

While I would love to not sleep and build it, I am a super busy guy, so I can only afford so much time on it each day....

Got over 50 motors to build as it is!

I will get the axles pulled apart and cleaned up tonight.....hopefully the clocking done too, but that will probably be tomorrow.

Later EddieO
Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Build looks like it's going to be sweet!

Now get to winding!:-P
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Well, thats my shortfall, I can't wind worth a crap.....my wrists give out, so I can't keep the wire tight......it's like I know how to do it, and all the tricks, but just can't actually do it myself.........Peter (was trained by Big Jim), Garrett pretty much just trained himself.......and sometimes I would use other winders around the world when orders became nutty......I can do everything else though, solder/weld, bake, balance, etc etc...

I was thinking of doing a thread showing how a motor is built from start to finish, so then people would see why ours cost $50 and integy cost $25.

Later EddieO
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Got a pair of 45t's on my OCM and they are simply awesome motors!
Sprint 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Took a few photos tonight, will post em tomorrow...

Got the axles all pulled apart and cleaned. Greased up the gears real good with br00d gear grease and put br00d bearing oil on all the bearings after I cleaned them.

I can tell you one thing, those damn bearings sure don't like to come out!

I switched up a few parts, gonna use the JP customsrcs lockouts, so I dont need to grind down the spindles and can then use them as a spare set for the front. I also decided to NOT clock the front for now and will be clocking the rear slightly with the links.

Found some really sweet trinity adjustable aluminum body mount posts I will be using. I dunno if they make them anymore, but they are very trick.

Later EddieO
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Sorry for the delay on and update........I have been SO busy building motors its unreal. I have shipped almost 100 in the last ten days.......nutty.

So, first up was pulling everything apart, cleaning it, relubing it, locktite, and reassmebly. Everything came apart fairly easy, except the damn bearings. The tranny had a couple tough one, but not too bad. The ones in the damn steering spindles though.........GEEZUS! I got 1 of 4 out, thats it.....I am gonna pick up some bearings tomorrow to replace them.......

Last night, I finally got to work on it a little bit........so, I went about to put the chassis together till I got some new bearings. Even though I used to have a hobby shop and have TONS of stuff left over, I could not find a damn screw that fit for the lower links to save my damn life. Garrett was over winding and suggested I try some hinge pins....as it would work better, weigh a little less and me a much slicker design. So after some searching, we found some Lunsford RC10t4 hinge pins that fit and were the right length. The photos below are what I took last night. I needed a spacer, so I stopped at the hobby shop today and bought some carbon fiber tube (and I forgot damn bearings!). I cut them to length and its awesome now. I kinda drilled my plate off a little, so I am gonna order a new one, so I can drill it better and then I will also install some set screws to hold the hingepin in place just case....

I searched around for a few hours last night, didn't see anybody using hinge pins like this........so no steal my idea! (its possible I may have missed a post of someone doing it, I gave up looking after 3 hours!)

I got find some chassis braces, I think the axials will work fine......gonna see if the hobby shop has any tomorrow along with some bearings. Gonna try to bang out the shocks next and figure out my upper links.....then I will go on to make my radio/esc plate....this assuming I don't have to build 100 motors again!

Enjoy

Later EddieO