Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dlux Berg Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #41
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I'm excited to see what you do with the upper link mount and steering link. The tubes look kick ass!
Never built a Berg and to this point I have never even dealt with the upper link mounts. What is the problem with them?
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #42
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Reflection vs. Absorption of heat/sunlight.
The question is: Will color be better or worse?

Hotter = softer, more flexable, less breakage? Maybe black is a better choice?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #43
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Wow!
I am glad to see you coming to the dark side!!!

I have no doubt that this will be one sick rig!!!

I am interested to see how the delrin tubes work.
I had quite a few people ask me for them last year when we were working on bully tubes.

You going to have it done for the next comp??
Thanks. I am pretty excited.

I hope to have it done for the comp. I will probably have zero drive time on it. LOL. Just waiting on one last part. After that as long as all the electronics work I can move pretty fast on getting this thing going.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #44
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annedecke View Post
Nice work Erik .... but ......
it will never be a Losi
Before I got all these parts I was day dreaming. I really am not looking forward to the weight of the rear motor being where it is. Maybe I am just over thinking it? Anyway, while I was smoking some crack, I thought it would be a fun experiment to run a front/standard MOA axle and then for the rear, run a Losi axle with a motor mounted in the chassis with a simple underdrive with a drive line. Maybe even running the drive line way up high and make it a 2 piece drive line with some carrier bearings to make it out of the way.

Maybe someday LOL
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #45
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwilliams View Post
Looking Sweet Erik! Keep up the great work and hope that testing works out Nice to see guys willing to bring it and test it

maybe come up with your own rear chromo rear axles as well
Thought about rear axles. They look like they would be super simple to make. I dont know what axlemaster is doing? He told me he does not have anymore and doesnt know if he will make more. Without his permission I would not be doing them.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #46
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.VERTICAL View Post
You could shave a little more off the tran case for a few more g's
Nice! I will have to check that out.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #47
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I got some prototype shock mounts and a servo mount made up. I was planning on making the shock mounts out of aluminum but I made one out of Delrin first so I would not waste the AL before I got it right. After making one of the Delrin mounts I was really, really surprised at the strength, so surprised that I am going to give them a shot.

Having never built a Berg I could use some feedback on the shock mounts. Do you guys think its worth doing the extra hole on top? Dealing with the Losi it seemed that I always needed something moved a touch here or a touch there. I figured it would be nice to have the option of moving the shock one more hole away from the link. I cant see any reason to not have it? It doesnt look like anything else is really even in the same area unless youre running backwards steering maybe? Maybe it will help with the shock clearance and crazy bent rear links?

I still have some refining to do on both the servo and shock mounts. This is the basic ideas though.

Taking a picture of something white is really tough.

I dont have a picture but, for all those following along, servo mount and 4- shock mounts = 14g

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #48
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Again, one of the purposes of these shock mounts is being able to put them wherever you need. Up, down, closer or further from the motor.

Two pictures to show how they can be adjusted (exaggerated).

Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I got some prototype shock mounts and a servo mount made up. I was planning on making the shock mounts out of aluminum but I made one out of Delrin first so I would not waste the AL before I got it right. After making one of the Delrin mounts I was really, really surprised at the strength, so surprised that I am going to give them a shot.

Having never built a Berg I could use some feedback on the shock mounts. Do you guys think its worth doing the extra hole on top? Dealing with the Losi it seemed that I always needed something moved a touch here or a touch there. I figured it would be nice to have the option of moving the shock one more hole away from the link. I cant see any reason to not have it? It doesnt look like anything else is really even in the same area unless youre running backwards steering maybe? Maybe it will help with the shock clearance and crazy bent rear links?

I still have some refining to do on both the servo and shock mounts. This is the basic ideas though.

Taking a picture of something white is really tough.

I dont have a picture but, for all those following along, servo mount and 4- shock mounts = 14g

i'm really liking what your onto with those shock/link mounts
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Speechless is all I can say?! .... And to think that there was nothing else for the berg ....

Please do continue what your doing as I'm sure everyones saving up funds for paypal!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Very nice work! Have you made a decision on what shafts to run in the rear? I'm really diggin those rear tubes and mounts!!!
LEADFOOT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Amazing work, definetly interested in the delrin tubes.
Subscribed
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #53
Sometimes, I make things.

I need to stay out of the Berg section, or I am going to buy one but I gotta check up on my boys rigs....

The shock mounts look sweet, and I like the servo bracket. One of my favorite features of the berg is you can tuck the steering servo down in between the motor and axle tube, it is so clean and slick looking. This is gonna be a sweet biuld, I know you are making a lot of the berg guys pants dance.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Eric. I hear you talking a bit about the weight issues of the motor on the rear axle and I probably would have had similar concerns but you can undue that by running super light wheels.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Never built a Berg and to this point I have never even dealt with the upper link mounts. What is the problem with them?

1. They're heavier then I like considering it's the tallest point of the axle
2. I need more axle separation. Not want. I run my top links low on the rear axle/ chassis side and it's not enough for our slick rocks.
3. It's not exactly center.

I LOVE the shock mounts. More holes the better. I'll cut off any I won't use.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Looks good.

My only concern on your shock mounts is, how are they going to attach to keep them from moving? Delrin is pretty slippery!
They would almost need a set screw or two going into the tube??
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep, they're not in the center of the axle...or at least if you mount one upper link to one side and one on the other...if you look from the back of the rig towards the chassis the driver side link will be closer to the driver rear tire...and the passenger side upper will be closer to the driver side rear tire than the passenger side rear. Whew...that was long winded. At this point I run the driver side upper mounted to the upper link mount and use a revo ball end on the passenger side to space the upper link over. Now they're even.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Nice work, great to see you going a moa!

Cheers
Dan
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #59
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I think the lower link mounts are good, except for the slot cut in them, The links will put quite a bit of stress on them when digging or in a bind, it just looks like the slot would reduce the strength.
How about an upper link mount in Delrin that has adjustment holes? It may or may not save some weight at the upper part of the axle, but it will have to be strong also.

Everything else looks pretty damn nice!
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #60
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADFOOT82 View Post
Very nice work! Have you made a decision on what shafts to run in the rear? I'm really diggin those rear tubes and mounts!!!
Thanks!

I didnt have much choice in the matter. Stock or CKRC. I went with CKRC. We will see how good their "lifetime warranty" is.

I am really surprised that you guys are having problems with a 6mm shaft. The Losi is far from a fire breathing dragon but with all the abuse I put that car through it never had a problem with the 4.5mm rear shafts. The 6mm shafts compared to the 4.5mm when held in your hands is pretty impressive. I doubt Losi uses as good of steel as the after market Berg does either.

I will be really curios to see if making the inner diameter super tight on these axles will help with the shaft issues. I can see it being a problem since the i.d. of the stock Berg housings are 8mm and that lets the 6mm shaft deform and bend quite a bit under load. I wonder too if more people have problems if they tried to reduce the weight of their stock tubes and drilled them out to .500/12.5+mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
I need to stay out of the Berg section, or I am going to buy one but I gotta check up on my boys rigs....

The shock mounts look sweet, and I like the servo bracket. One of my favorite features of the berg is you can tuck the steering servo down in between the motor and axle tube, it is so clean and slick looking. This is gonna be a sweet biuld, I know you are making a lot of the berg guys pants dance.
I too like how the servo sits on the Berg. It would be really nice to have Berg steering but be able to fit a small lipo on the front like the XR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Eric. I hear you talking a bit about the weight issues of the motor on the rear axle and I probably would have had similar concerns but you can undue that by running super light wheels.
I am actually planning on doing some rear "knuckle weights" for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
1. They're heavier then I like considering it's the tallest point of the axle
2. I need more axle separation. Not want. I run my top links low on the rear axle/ chassis side and it's not enough for our slick rocks.
3. It's not exactly center.

I LOVE the shock mounts. More holes the better. I'll cut off any I won't use.
Gotcha. I will see if I can figure something out. I thought all of this would be a pretty simple project. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Looks good.

My only concern on your shock mounts is, how are they going to attach to keep them from moving? Delrin is pretty slippery!
They would almost need a set screw or two going into the tube??
Yeah, two set screws is the plan. I have not put them in yet as I dont think I will even run these specific mounts. They need to have a better finish and cut still. I just wanted some feedback on the entire design. I made some adjustable caster mounts for the Losi and it used 2 set screws on both sides of the mount. I could not rip it off the housing with all my might. That is with using cup set screws. I think if you wanted, you could use a point set screw and it would dig into the plastic and there is no way it would come lose.

Feeler thread: Infinitely adjustable caster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Yep, they're not in the center of the axle...or at least if you mount one upper link to one side and one on the other...if you look from the back of the rig towards the chassis the driver side link will be closer to the driver rear tire...and the passenger side upper will be closer to the driver side rear tire than the passenger side rear. Whew...that was long winded. At this point I run the driver side upper mounted to the upper link mount and use a revo ball end on the passenger side to space the upper link over. Now they're even.
Interesting. Looks like .140 difference from side to side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Nice work, great to see you going a moa!

Cheers
Dan
Thanks Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I think the lower link mounts are good, except for the slot cut in them, The links will put quite a bit of stress on them when digging or in a bind, it just looks like the slot would reduce the strength.
How about an upper link mount in Delrin that has adjustment holes? It may or may not save some weight at the upper part of the axle, but it will have to be strong also.

Everything else looks pretty damn nice!
Yeah. We will see how the slots work out. I was not worried since they were supposed to be made of AL. Actually, holding them in my hands I am not too worried but it definitely is a stress riser. Easy enough to take out if there is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwilliams View Post
i'm really liking what your onto with those shock/link mounts
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
Speechless is all I can say?! .... And to think that there was nothing else for the berg ....

Please do continue what your doing as I'm sure everyones saving up funds for paypal!
The way this hobby is going all of this will be outdated next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Amazing work, definetly interested in the delrin tubes.
Subscribed
Thanks!