RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   EnRoute Berg (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/)
-   -   Front Axle problem (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/380183-front-axle-problem.html)

BigJon 04-25-2012 05:29 AM

Front Axle problem

I have a Berg I recently ran it and there was a new whining coming from the front axle. I pulled the motor out and it only happens when the motor is in the trans housing. Inside the housing there are a couple of small surface rust spots and my short shaft key is twisted. I am asking two questions what you think is wrong with it and do you think because of the twist it could cause horizontal pressure on the inside barring on the short shaft?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

ittybitty 04-25-2012 09:10 AM

Re: Front Axle problem

When you say it only happens with the motor installed do you mean that with the case split and the motor removed that it doesn't make noise or have you removed the motor and completely reassembled the axle to test it?

BigJon 04-25-2012 03:53 PM

I am saying that it makes the noise when the motor is in and dosen't when the case is cracked and gears removed. Also it did not make the sound before the bath at the zoo.

BigJon 04-25-2012 04:24 PM

Front Axle problem

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 195131

Attachment 195132

Here is my twisted short shaft key dont think that could make the sound but it should be addressed.

ittybitty 04-25-2012 04:25 PM

I'd leave the motor off and the gears in and reassemble the case...spin the wheels and take parts off until you figure out what's causing it. If it doesn't make the noise with the motor out...well then you've probably just got some trash or a bad bearing in the motor.

That short shaft needs to be replaced ASAP. Highlandcrawler is the one that made it I'm pretty sure, but he's been hard to get in touch with from what I understand. Super 300s would be your best bet, but they're not available right now either.

BigJon 04-25-2012 05:02 PM

Front long side axle is bent after the nuckle berring. Cant tell if the noise is on the gears, bushings, or in the axle berrings. To change to 300's do I need difrent nuckles, c's and berrings?

ittybitty 04-25-2012 05:44 PM

No...just need the 300s for BERG knuckles.

roksloski 04-25-2012 06:20 PM

by the looks in the picture, isnt that a bolt on steering arm..
like the ones on an xr knuckle....
if thats the case wouldnt he need 300's for ax knuckles???

ittybitty 04-25-2012 08:26 PM

You're right...I mentioned the highland shafts and completely forgot about them using the Axial outers...good catch "thumbsup" I'm on a roll with forgetting details here recently...:roll:

RickM 04-25-2012 08:33 PM

This may sounds stupid but take a look at the back of the gear door. Your pinion might be sticking out just enough to hit the door. At least that is what mine did.

roksloski 04-25-2012 10:08 PM

well if it took a bath....:shock:
i would start by cleanning out the motors and lubing the bearings......"thumbsup"
all the knuckle bearings also.........
make sure the locker is tight to the 4th gear.. (That brand of lockers are known to come loose)

BigJon 04-26-2012 06:46 PM

What would you all suggest if I said I was going to change to knuckle weights instead of the wheel weights? Do I need to change my nuckles and c's for that?

Monstergt 04-26-2012 07:14 PM

What knuckles do you have now? If its XR knuckles you can run VP knuckle weights

BigJon 04-26-2012 07:15 PM

I believe they are axil xr10.