Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Super 300 rebuild questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Super 300 rebuild questions

I have had the Super 300s on my berg since they came out. They work so great with just a shot of WD40 now and then, that I have never given them any more thought.

Last night during a teardown I noticed a fair amount of play in the CVD pin on one side. It looks like where the little pin goes through the big one. I have a rebuild kit from waaayy back so i looked up the original 300 thread.

first... I know play is a bad thing... but how much is OK before breakage is a real concern?

Second... How have you guys found to be the best way to get the pin retaining ring off the CVD when it's in fine shape. (not warped bent or boogered up)

Thanks-
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Super 300 rebuild questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Second... How have you guys found to be the best way to get the pin retaining ring off the CVD when it's in fine shape. (not warped bent or boogered up)
Take a pair of wire strippers (with the pointy edges), grip it at the lip of the cup (between the lip and the ring) and tap the end of the stripper ()....should come right off.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
tap the end of the stripper ()
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Interesting...

Which end gets tapped, exactly? Photos are helpful.

Last edited by CAIRN; 06-26-2012 at 06:25 PM.
CAIRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIRN View Post
Interesting...

Which end of gets tapped, exactly? Photos are helpful.
Video too please!

I have not seen a stripper since my bachelor party a little over 8 years, so I am due for a re-education on the subject.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Use a heat gun & heat the retainer ring & use a small bladed screwdriver & tap around the edge on the stub end & it should slide off.
I have used a torch but it(the whole CVD assy gets really hot, really quick) & WD 40 for the stubborn rings.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Jeremy's method works great, in fact years ago I asked John (SDS) about it and he told me to use the same method.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Most if the slop you see is the actual pin wearing and tapering on the ends and in the middle. I've broken a few of the SDS pins but I have gotten them from another source now and have yet to even start wearing them. Hell, I even broke a 300 short shaft at the Indiana state comp in 2010 with the other pins in running! Lol!

One little pointer for ya. Take this for what you will but I've owned 4 sets of 300s now and not one single one would ever spin completely bind free. I have always mirror polished the ball and cup as well as ran a drill bit through the slot on the cup to clean out any burrs and make them equal on each side. After polishing and deburring the ball end and cup I would then break them in on my drill for about 10 mins each with fresh grease. I just mocked up a little jig with my drill and a bearing and cranked em to max angle and let the drill run full speed. Moving the stub end to a different position about every 5 minutes.

I did this with new 300s and after a rebuild with new pins and barrels. Makes a huge difference IMO.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

As slop goes, from what i've found is the pin wears the most(as posted above) & will give quite a bit of movement at the wheel. How much is up to you and we know you are a perfectionist

Mine is about an 1/8 to a 1/4 & doesn't seem to have to much when the power is on.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIRN View Post
Interesting...

Which end of gets tapped, exactly? Photos are helpful.
Either end is probably gonna get you hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Jeremy's method works great, in fact years ago I asked John (SDS) about it and he told me to use the same method.
Yep, that's who told me.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

So I went to tap a stripper on the back end. It didn't help with the CVD but it was an interesting distraction. My wife was pretty mad at you guys for the advice

Finally got it though. It was a stubborn booger. I had to use a really thin knife blade to get in the groove.

You were correct. The pin was worn pretty good on each side where it passed into the barrel and the barrel was grooved pretty good too.

Got it all buttoned back up now and the slop is gone. I only found the problem because I put in an RCBros locker last night and it wasn't as slop free as everyone said it should be... I found a gear pin that was broken and the sloppy CVD.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Finally got it though. It was a stubborn booger. I had to use a really thin knife blade to get in the groove.
I was gonna say I typically use an xacto knife to get it started and then a flat blade screw driver and something to tap it with if necessary. Glad you got it fixed up!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I just dremel disk the fkr's off and put new ones on LOLOL

true story
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post

true story
F_cking hilariuos

Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post

true story

That was my next step if I hadn't gotten them off.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Most if the slop you see is the actual pin wearing and tapering on the ends and in the middle. I've broken a few of the SDS pins but I have gotten them from another source now and have yet to even start wearing them. Hell, I even broke a 300 short shaft at the Indiana state comp in 2010 with the other pins in running! Lol!

One little pointer for ya. Take this for what you will but I've owned 4 sets of 300s now and not one single one would ever spin completely bind free. I have always mirror polished the ball and cup as well as ran a drill bit through the slot on the cup to clean out any burrs and make them equal on each side. After polishing and deburring the ball end and cup I would then break them in on my drill for about 10 mins each with fresh grease. I just mocked up a little jig with my drill and a bearing and cranked em to max angle and let the drill run full speed. Moving the stub end to a different position about every 5 minutes.

I did this with new 300s and after a rebuild with new pins and barrels. Makes a huge difference IMO.
My trick has been to take it apart, dip the entire ball in grease, dip the grease in sand blast media, and put it back together. Spin the axle shaft with a drill, and hold the stub with a rag. Run it changing the angle for about 2-3 minutes. Take the entire thing apart, and clean it all up with brake cleaner. Assemble the cvd, and spray with wd40. The sand/grease really cleans up the rough edges, and makes it smooth again. I have never replaced a one thing in my pair of cvd's, and they are from the first batch delivered to worlds 3 or 4 years ago. Still on the original pins, retainers, etc.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
My trick has been to take it apart, dip the entire ball in grease, dip the grease in sand blast media, and put it back together. Spin the axle shaft with a drill, and hold the stub with a rag. Run it changing the angle for about 2-3 minutes. Take the entire thing apart, and clean it all up with brake cleaner. Assemble the cvd, and spray with wd40. The sand/grease really cleans up the rough edges, and makes it smooth again. I have never replaced a one thing in my pair of cvd's, and they are from the first batch delivered to worlds 3 or 4 years ago. Still on the original pins, retainers, etc.
Sounds like a good and simple idea to get it broke in quickly.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote

Super 300 rebuild questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
super 300 keithgemmill Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 06-03-2015 10:58 PM
Super 300? realmoto Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 02-18-2011 07:08 PM