Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: First Observations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First Observations

I received some V1 axles the other day, brand new from forum vendor, and just got around to giving them a thorough going over tonight.
They seem light as has been written here many times and far from ready to go crawling as also written. Appear to be well made.
I then noticed that the axles did not turn. So I loosened the hub nut which was on very tight and that did the trick for one axle, but still not as smooth as I would have expected, I know dog bones are not a smooth.
The other axle did not want to turn freely 360 deg. I wound up taking apart the gearbox to see what was hanging up. The main drive axle (long) has a lot of run out in it, I suspect a bend dogbone axle, so much so that when spun the attached spur gear brushed up again the GB housing. I dont know how much run out is acceptable but I have my doubts that the motor will have enough torque to overcome the bind. I may have to take up the issue with the vendor, but I was hoping to just have to ask for a replacement dog bone. Which leads me to my questions that I would appreciate advice on.

How to do you remove the long axle and spur gear? picture attached.
Has anyone experienced this bind and did the gears wear in?

Thanks for your comments.
Attached Images

Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First Observations

Alot of wiggling the gear back and forth to get it out. First upgrade on the axles should be getting rid of the dogbones and replacing with super 300s or vp vvds. Shouldnt be enough runout to rub case, wonder if the 4th gear is cocked from when you took it apart?

Last edited by joshsmith512; 01-11-2013 at 07:26 PM.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmith512 View Post
Alot of wiggling the gear back and forth to get it out. First upgrade on the axles should be getting rid of the dogbones and replacing with super 300s or vp vvds. Shouldnt be enough runout to rub case, wonder if the 4th gear is cocked from when you took it apart?
OK will consider the axle upgrade sooner than later.
I hear ya on the gear, maybe, but the bind was there which is why I disassembled to begin with. I was applying load in both directions while troublshooting the problem but it would not budge free. I didnt want to break anything but i guess Ill keep at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
MFDesigns

is the gear rubbing on the side or on the teeth? mine rubbed on the side and i just sanded the inside of the case to give relief for the gear.
mfawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfawv View Post
is the gear rubbing on the side or on the teeth? mine rubbed on the side and i just sanded the inside of the case to give relief for the gear.
On the side, but near the teeth.
I wonder why the dog bone axle wont just pull out so I can inspect it. It seems to be attached to the 4th spur somehow, but I just cant figure out how. Should I just keep pulling on the 4th gear until it pops out?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yes keep pullin and wigglin it will eventually come out, sometimes the dogbone to locker engagement is very tight.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes keep pullin and wigglin it will eventually come out, sometimes the dogbone to locker engagement is very tight.
OK will try it again

tx
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
joshsmith right you were, that was it!

I finally go the 4th spur and dog bone apart. It was a very tight fit and appears to have been jammed in and throwing off the alignment of the 4th spur. I lube things up, fit checked, seated all bearings, and reassembled and things are much much smoother. The only issue I see is the dogbone is not true. I am not expecting aerospace grade spec, but i think i will replace until there is a berg axle option. I searched for super 300 and the looked at the VP VVD and there didnt seem like a stock berg solution, and I am too tired to figure out all the different chub, knuckle, axle comboes that might work. Good night and thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have done work on many, many gear boxes. Almost all of them that I deal with that are brand new have binding in the gears. After a couple of packs they smooth out nicely.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salojac View Post
joshsmith right you were, that was it!

I finally go the 4th spur and dog bone apart. It was a very tight fit and appears to have been jammed in and throwing off the alignment of the 4th spur. I lube things up, fit checked, seated all bearings, and reassembled and things are much much smoother. The only issue I see is the dogbone is not true. I am not expecting aerospace grade spec, but i think i will replace until there is a berg axle option. I searched for super 300 and the looked at the VP VVD and there didnt seem like a stock berg solution, and I am too tired to figure out all the different chub, knuckle, axle comboes that might work. Good night and thank you.
Check the classifieds for an older (not abused) set of 300's. The original ones came in a will work in stock axle format, and work in upgraded axles too, with a variety of knucks. Won't work with the XR chub\knuck combo, you need the newer uni ones for that setup.

There are other options out there too. My budget did not allow for the uni's this year, regardless how bad I wanted them, so I modded bully stubs to fit my original 300 shafts, and use bully knuckles.

Last edited by DickyT; 01-12-2013 at 12:14 AM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Roger that EriK and DickyT

First Observations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aconsola's LCC build and observations thread. aconsola Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 04-17-2010 12:40 PM
some observations on my CC prashanth Duratrax Cliff Climber 3 04-05-2009 08:17 PM
Observations from the MSD Scale Nats War Pig Competitions 12 05-23-2008 08:38 AM
1/4 scale servo observations JamisonWorkshop Electronics 6 07-27-2005 06:22 AM