RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   EnRoute Berg (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/)
-   -   New gearbox and gear options (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/423895-new-gearbox-gear-options.html)

binaryterror 01-22-2013 05:52 AM

Re: New gearbox and gear options

Properly molded, properly meshed and supports, and the right material choice, plastic gears are all we need. Question is do we want to go on a limb and trust Exceed's choices...

Only one way to find out...wait for you guys to test and break them.

Farmer 01-22-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 4137822)
Properly molded, properly meshed and supports, and the right material choice, plastic gears are all we need. Question is do we want to go on a limb and trust Exceed's choices...

Oh don't worry I'm sure I will find out really fast:lmao: As soon as I have it all its happening. Main reason for me doing this is to mess with my bias. Probably will only do the rear. Front is light enough.
Later,
Farmer

Nimyad 01-22-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik D_lux (Post 4137532)
Yeah, I have been doing some research on these. I think its pretty crazy they have been out for close to 4yrs and nobody has made the connection. Just about every post I have read says they are just and useless.

When I was looking for a connection and ultimately discovered there was one was when I learned about the mad crawler. It was an 1/8 scale that used plastic gears and people would switch berg gears into those, mostly the 4th gear.

After that I searche for a berg small 3rd, finally got one and it meshed perfectly.

Nimyad 01-22-2013 01:14 PM

Do you know if the mt axle shafts are the same length as any other axles? Since I already have ax10 aluminum knuckles this is what I'm thinking of getting. I want to run some XVD axles without having to switch to bully knuckles and shorten the shafts.

Erik D_lux 01-22-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 4137822)

At $3.60 I am not sure its even fair to call it a limb.

I dont plan on running any plastic gears at a comp until they have proven themselves. I will swap out the plastic for stock gears the night before each comp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimyad (Post 4138427)
Do you know if the mt axle shafts are the same length as any other axles? Since I already have ax10 aluminum knuckles this is what I'm thinking of getting. I want to run some XVD axles without having to switch to bully knuckles and shorten the shafts.

I dont know of any shafts, I dont even know the length of an MT shaft. I doubt there are any perfect shafts that will have the perfect tang and length.

This is one of the downsides to buying a car that not many people have. You need to experiment, research, buy parts and waste some money just to find parts that will work with your car. If you want somebody to give you the answers or be able to buy parts and simply install, you need to get a axle or parts in this example that everybody else is running.

Nimyad 01-22-2013 04:08 PM

That's what I was afraid of, guess it's time to do some testing!

Beest 01-22-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimyad (Post 4138680)
That's what I was afraid of, guess it's time to do so
me testing!

Dont be skeerd. Thats the best part. :)"thumbsup"

SkaldidDog 01-24-2013 08:45 AM

Way cool stuff Erik. Thanks for pulling this together for all to deliberate. Options are a crawlers best friend and this will spawn more crazy one-off hand-built hybrid rigs...the true essence of crawling. Nice work.

J

Nimyad 01-24-2013 10:02 AM

Any info on when these will be for sale?

Chris_The_Battery_Man 01-24-2013 02:02 PM

Great work Erik

I had a few people contact me about making custom tubes and shafts for these cases a few times recently. It definitely got the gears turning in my head, and I was about to buy some goodies to do some R&D.... But life kind of took over my time by form of the engine in my Toyota popping:evil:

I am going to order some goodies and try to help add to your hard work"thumbsup" as time allows. I have some ideas for axle shafts. Thinking of maybe making tubes to work with the wraith shafts? I think a wider axle, and narrower offset wheel would be nice for the scrub radius and the steering power.

Im glad you spent some time on this. If I couldn't be the first to the table to offer info on these axles, youre the only other person I would want working on it since we both seem to think alike:ror:

Anyhow, keep up the good work, and you will be hearing from me VIA text shortly:flipoff:

Chris_The_Battery_Man 01-24-2013 02:29 PM

Just ordered 2 of everything but the little 12t gears which they didnt have in stock:cry:

We shal see how fun this will be.

I have ordered from this place before, and my only complaint is that it took for god damn ever to get stuff. It took forever to even ship out, let alone get to me

Tgreer 01-24-2013 02:52 PM

If these gear boxes hold up, witch I don't think will be a problem, then I think a direct bolt axle tube would be good. So, basically someone could buy the MT gear box and gears, and buy the tubes that bolt on, then they only need to mod the 4th to use a berg locker so that the nice aftermarket berg axles can be used!"thumbsup"

Nimyad 01-24-2013 04:14 PM

I'm thinking bully tubes will bolt right on, dunno about the inner bearing though.

Erik D_lux 01-24-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimyad (Post 4141832)
Any info on when these will be for sale?

Still working on it. I am at the mercy of my machinist. I will post up here the instant I get news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man (Post 4142204)
I am going to order some goodies and try to help add to your hard work"thumbsup" as time allows. I have some ideas for axle shafts. Thinking of maybe making tubes to work with the wraith shafts? I think a wider axle, and narrower offset wheel would be nice for the scrub radius and the steering power.

Doing straight bolt in Wraith axles would be sweet! I wouldnt want to give up my scrub though. I think thats one of the things that makes a Berg perfect, I think it has the perfect width for the perfect amount of scrub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgreer (Post 4142317)
If these gear boxes hold up, witch I don't think will be a problem, then I think a direct bolt axle tube would be good. So, basically someone could buy the MT gear box and gears, and buy the tubes that bolt on, then they only need to mod the 4th to use a berg locker so that the nice aftermarket berg axles can be used!"thumbsup"

I suppose I didnt make myself clear earlier in this thread?

All my tubes that I make from here out (as soon as details are figured out) will have the correct hole diameter to bolt to the gear box. Then, all you would have to do is clearance the notch and drill 4 holes, after that youre good to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimyad (Post 4142462)
I'm thinking bully tubes will bolt right on, dunno about the inner bearing though.

Bully tubes would be a decent amount of work. The bolt pattern is wrong, no bearing notch, and bearing relief are all wrong. They could work with some effort but just about any tube can work with effort.

stubs179 01-24-2013 07:16 PM

If your going to put all berg gears in the case, could you just mill it thinner so you don't need adapters? So the case is the same width as a berg?

Nimyad 01-24-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubs179 (Post 4142811)
If your going to put all berg gears in the case, could you just mill it thinner so you don't need adapters? So the case is the same width as a berg?

This is sort of what I was thinking before dlux said he's doing this. I was going to cut out the bearing cup, move the bearing closer to the gear than plastic weld it in place where it needed to go. But basically it comes down to how much I think my times worth, and if I destroy modded case I'd have to start all over again.

Erik D_lux 01-24-2013 09:38 PM

Edit:

I dont think you can mill it. The MT and Berg are the same at the locker. If you milled it, neither of the lockers would fit anymore.

A kit to switch over to Berg gears will allow for either stock MT gears or Berg gears and should be less than $10 per case.

Farmer 01-25-2013 01:03 PM

Can't wait, once again great work"thumbsup"
Later,
Farmer

Beest 01-26-2013 02:19 PM

Erik, Ive got a feeling youve already got this rear axle together.:mrgreen:

Pics?"thumbsup"

Erik D_lux 01-26-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 4145873)
Erik, Ive got a feeling youve already got this rear axle together.:mrgreen:

Pics?"thumbsup"

Nope, sorry. I am too busy with other projects. Kinda a crazy time for me right now...