Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: New gearbox and gear options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New gearbox and gear options

Properly molded, properly meshed and supports, and the right material choice, plastic gears are all we need. Question is do we want to go on a limb and trust Exceed's choices...

Only one way to find out...wait for you guys to test and break them.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Properly molded, properly meshed and supports, and the right material choice, plastic gears are all we need. Question is do we want to go on a limb and trust Exceed's choices...

Oh don't worry I'm sure I will find out really fast As soon as I have it all its happening. Main reason for me doing this is to mess with my bias. Probably will only do the rear. Front is light enough.
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Yeah, I have been doing some research on these. I think its pretty crazy they have been out for close to 4yrs and nobody has made the connection. Just about every post I have read says they are just and useless.
When I was looking for a connection and ultimately discovered there was one was when I learned about the mad crawler. It was an 1/8 scale that used plastic gears and people would switch berg gears into those, mostly the 4th gear.

After that I searche for a berg small 3rd, finally got one and it meshed perfectly.
Nimyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Do you know if the mt axle shafts are the same length as any other axles? Since I already have ax10 aluminum knuckles this is what I'm thinking of getting. I want to run some XVD axles without having to switch to bully knuckles and shorten the shafts.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #65
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post

At $3.60 I am not sure its even fair to call it a limb.

I dont plan on running any plastic gears at a comp until they have proven themselves. I will swap out the plastic for stock gears the night before each comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimyad View Post
Do you know if the mt axle shafts are the same length as any other axles? Since I already have ax10 aluminum knuckles this is what I'm thinking of getting. I want to run some XVD axles without having to switch to bully knuckles and shorten the shafts.
I dont know of any shafts, I dont even know the length of an MT shaft. I doubt there are any perfect shafts that will have the perfect tang and length.

This is one of the downsides to buying a car that not many people have. You need to experiment, research, buy parts and waste some money just to find parts that will work with your car. If you want somebody to give you the answers or be able to buy parts and simply install, you need to get a axle or parts in this example that everybody else is running.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

That's what I was afraid of, guess it's time to do some testing!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Smile Re: New gearbox and gear options

Quote:
That's what I was afraid of, guess it's time to do so
me testing!
Dont be skeerd. Thats the best part.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #68
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Way cool stuff Erik. Thanks for pulling this together for all to deliberate. Options are a crawlers best friend and this will spawn more crazy one-off hand-built hybrid rigs...the true essence of crawling. Nice work.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Any info on when these will be for sale?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Great work Erik

I had a few people contact me about making custom tubes and shafts for these cases a few times recently. It definitely got the gears turning in my head, and I was about to buy some goodies to do some R&D.... But life kind of took over my time by form of the engine in my Toyota popping

I am going to order some goodies and try to help add to your hard work as time allows. I have some ideas for axle shafts. Thinking of maybe making tubes to work with the wraith shafts? I think a wider axle, and narrower offset wheel would be nice for the scrub radius and the steering power.

Im glad you spent some time on this. If I couldn't be the first to the table to offer info on these axles, youre the only other person I would want working on it since we both seem to think alike

Anyhow, keep up the good work, and you will be hearing from me VIA text shortly
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Just ordered 2 of everything but the little 12t gears which they didnt have in stock

We shal see how fun this will be.

I have ordered from this place before, and my only complaint is that it took for god damn ever to get stuff. It took forever to even ship out, let alone get to me
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #72
RCC Addict

If these gear boxes hold up, witch I don't think will be a problem, then I think a direct bolt axle tube would be good. So, basically someone could buy the MT gear box and gears, and buy the tubes that bolt on, then they only need to mod the 4th to use a berg locker so that the nice aftermarket berg axles can be used!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

I'm thinking bully tubes will bolt right on, dunno about the inner bearing though.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #74
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Any info on when these will be for sale?
Still working on it. I am at the mercy of my machinist. I will post up here the instant I get news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
I am going to order some goodies and try to help add to your hard work as time allows. I have some ideas for axle shafts. Thinking of maybe making tubes to work with the wraith shafts? I think a wider axle, and narrower offset wheel would be nice for the scrub radius and the steering power.
Doing straight bolt in Wraith axles would be sweet! I wouldnt want to give up my scrub though. I think thats one of the things that makes a Berg perfect, I think it has the perfect width for the perfect amount of scrub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
If these gear boxes hold up, witch I don't think will be a problem, then I think a direct bolt axle tube would be good. So, basically someone could buy the MT gear box and gears, and buy the tubes that bolt on, then they only need to mod the 4th to use a berg locker so that the nice aftermarket berg axles can be used!
I suppose I didnt make myself clear earlier in this thread?

All my tubes that I make from here out (as soon as details are figured out) will have the correct hole diameter to bolt to the gear box. Then, all you would have to do is clearance the notch and drill 4 holes, after that youre good to go.

Quote:
I'm thinking bully tubes will bolt right on, dunno about the inner bearing though.
Bully tubes would be a decent amount of work. The bolt pattern is wrong, no bearing notch, and bearing relief are all wrong. They could work with some effort but just about any tube can work with effort.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #75
RCC Addict

If your going to put all berg gears in the case, could you just mill it thinner so you don't need adapters? So the case is the same width as a berg?
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
If your going to put all berg gears in the case, could you just mill it thinner so you don't need adapters? So the case is the same width as a berg?
This is sort of what I was thinking before dlux said he's doing this. I was going to cut out the bearing cup, move the bearing closer to the gear than plastic weld it in place where it needed to go. But basically it comes down to how much I think my times worth, and if I destroy modded case I'd have to start all over again.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #77
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Edit:

I dont think you can mill it. The MT and Berg are the same at the locker. If you milled it, neither of the lockers would fit anymore.

A kit to switch over to Berg gears will allow for either stock MT gears or Berg gears and should be less than $10 per case.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 01-24-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Can't wait, once again great work
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Erik, Ive got a feeling youve already got this rear axle together.

Pics?
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #80
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
Erik, Ive got a feeling youve already got this rear axle together.

Pics?
Nope, sorry. I am too busy with other projects. Kinda a crazy time for me right now...

New gearbox and gear options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spur gear options mudd_slinger Formula Offroad 2 01-16-2012 11:57 AM
Axial gearbox gear measures tarmo120 Axial SCX-10 0 08-31-2011 11:43 AM
Gear Options Harvo Axial XR10 26 02-16-2011 06:40 PM
gearbox options with little room (1.9) thecrusader General Crawlers 9 12-30-2010 12:11 AM
Top Gear Options nuke24 HPI Wheely King 4 11-23-2010 08:30 PM